Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectHe made a lot of really questionable choices as Texas's coach.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2733835&mesg_id=2734373
2734373, He made a lot of really questionable choices as Texas's coach.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Mar-26-21 04:46 PM
The offenses were filled with bad jumpshots. Assist rate bottom half of the NCAA all but one season. Completely ditched the trademark defense that made him a coaching star and replaced it with a low-tempo game that resulted in one Top 20 defense and zero Top 20 offenses.

Never cracked the year-end Top 20 of KenPom at all, and only cracked the Top 35 twice, despite having during his tenure a minimum of five pros on the roster. Outside of *maybe* 2018, his teams never met preseason expectations. He brought in three five star recruits and fifteen four star recruits and converted it into three NCAA Tournament appearances and zero wins in six seasons.

I loved Shaka at VCU. I'm excited to see him get a fresh start. But his coaching, much like Archie Miller's at Indiana, went away from all the coaching decisions that got him the big job.

So yeah, I think it's fair to say he has to prove to people that he can coach successfully at the high-major level. Whether he goes back to Havoc or he finds something new, he's got to find a way to have a team either run coherent offense or play consistent elite defense. (All of this goes for Archie as well.)