Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThis is a lazy take.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2732516&mesg_id=2732781
2732781, This is a lazy take.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Thu Feb-25-21 04:14 PM
I was gonna wait and see what the Bulls did this week against
some playoff teams, but this is such a lazy take I had to answer.

>He is simply a human highlight reel, who gives you nothing
>else.
>
>No dimes, no defense, and a shit load of TOs.

- The Bulls don't need LaVine to be Kawahi Leonard on defense, just serviceable.
- His help defense is much improved.
- He looks less lost on defense when compared to last season.
- 31.PPG. That's what LaVine averaged in February.

Pulled this from my guy @mkhoops:
https://bullshq.com/2021/02/zach-lavine-is-a-max-level-player/

"On the season, LaVine is averaging 28.2 points, while shooting over 50 percent from the field, 40 percent from three,
and 85 percent from the free throw line. The number of players to post those numbers in NBA history?

Three. Those players?
Larry Bird (x3)
Kevin Durant
Stephen Curry."

- LaVine has career numbers in scoring and assists. In fact people that watch the games see that he's facilitating much better this year.
Thad Young got in his ear and told him, "You don't have to take over all the time. Save yourself for the 4Q when we need you."
And he does! The Bulls are 3rd in the league in 4Q points.

- Up until last night against the Wolves, the turnovers the Bulls had had been declining. That's a team issue; they need to take care of the ball better.

>Either both make massive improvements fundamentally or they
>get moved..

I'm on board with paying LaVine for a few reasons:

1. He's not perfect. But this is a guy who has addressed problems in his game and uses the off season to correct them.

2. Half a season under a competent coach has him putting up career numbers. The entire team is listening to Donovan. He challenges them.

3. Outside of Pat Williams and Garrett Temple, this is the exact team from last year, and they're currently the 6th seed.
This is important because the Bulls are trying to make a culture change. Plus...

4. Playoff basketball for White, Carter and Williams I think would be huge for their development. It was for Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah when they battled the Celtics in 2009.

5. He WANTS to be here.