Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectDammit....... Congrats to Max
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2732215&mesg_id=2752843
2752843, Dammit....... Congrats to Max
Posted by spenzalii, Sun Dec-12-21 10:29 AM
Off top, that was BS. Either everyone that was lapped gets through or nobody gets through. Deciding that in the last few corners before the safety car leaves is absolutely unacceptable. Hell, red flag the race if you want to end racing. But this half measure BS on the last lap is ridiculous.

That said.... Mercedes had 2 chances to give Lewis new tires, and didn't. Had that shadowed Max on either of those it could have been a win. I understand both were 50/50 calls, and had Latifi (the new Timo Glock) not hit the wall, the call was the right one. Still, they had the chance, and at the end the gamble went the wrong way.

I could go on a rant on FIA being absolute trash and Massi needing to go, but even that goes both ways. Both teams benefited from crappy calls or non rulings. Hell, Lap 1 could have gone that way. But the calls went both ways, none of which anybody can be happy with. They better fix it next year

This feels worse than 2016. Hamilton did everything he needed to do only to get screwed on the last lap call. One driver had to beat the other, and Max, for all the reasons, crossed before Lewis. I don't like it, but I'm not going to put an asterisk or caveat on the win either. Max capitalized on everything he needed to do, grey area or not, and finished ahead on the last race, BS ruling or not. He's a great driver. He was going to be a world champ. If this is how he needs to get it, so be it, I guess. A win is a win. Mercedes still ran the table with the new regs, and all bets are off next season. If Lewis gets to 8 chips, I'll be OK.