Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThat was...insanity
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2732215&mesg_id=2744435
2744435, That was...insanity
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Aug-02-21 11:59 AM
Not even sure where to begin, as we're kinda still pending results if the appeal is upheld (which I doubt)

Shoutout to Ocon for making the best of a gifted situation and holding off a faster Vettel for 60+ laps. Enjoy this first win young man.

Shoutout to Alonso for putting on a masterclass of defensive driving against a much faster Hamilton. I firmly believe holding Lewis up saved Esteban's race, as Lewis was flying once he finally got around Nando. Like Vettel, I think age brings a bit more maturity and likability to Alonso. Nobody ever questioned his skill. But nobody every questioned his being a dick either. More mature Nando made a play to help his teammate, not just himself. Absolutely deserved DOTD

Seb is really good at taking a crazy race and making the most of it (like, say, Turkey last year). While he couldn't make it past the Alpine, he was a threat all race. While all bets are off for next season, he's proven he can still drive, and has been a consummate professional on and off track. I'd hate to see his place taken because AM can't track fuel flow, but still...

Double points for Williams? Russell willingly sacrificing his race for Latifi? You love to see it. Mind you, it took 6 cars off the grid and one of the two best drivers in a damaged car to get said points, but you play the hand you're dealt. Fantastic result for Williams. Russell's tears during the interview were genuine. Good for him, whether he has to stay at Williams or gets the promotion to the big leagues...

Sorry/not sorry for Red Bull. It feels super unfair when you've got DNFs in back to back races through no sole fault of your own. It's amplified when your title rival was involved in both incidents, directly and indirectly. How badly this affects RB this season and next won't be known for months. They are already staring down the barrel of a penalty for Max at some point in the 2nd half for a new engine, and now Perez's engine may or may not have damage (hopefully it's just the radiator). All of this eats into the cost cap and development time between this and next year. Not a great position to be in for anybody. Sadly, that's racing. You can try and do everything right and the race day just isn't in your favor. Malaysia '16 always comes to mind...

Shoutout to Verstappen driving half a car. With half a barge board missing, the balance had to be horrendous. Just finishing was an achievement, let alone picking off Mazepin (and everybody does that) and Danny Ric.

Bottas is one hell of a snooker player. Even if tin foil hats say he did it purposefully, it was a bad start, badly judged braking zone, and massive slip and slide into Turn 1 that collected Norris and both Red Bulls, directly and indirectly. 5 place penalty? Probably deserved. Intentional? With those track conditions, no way. Save his seat? Don't think that has anything to do with it. I do hope he stays though.

I don't know whether Petronas is trying to make the championship closer on purpose or they are having covid brain farts. You have a chance to push well clear of Max and RB and then... keep Lewis out on inters ALL BY MIMSELF. To their credit they sorted out something to get him to push from dead last to 3rd (or 2nd, depending on the appeal), but Hamilton had to push harder than he did in '19. While it took longer to get past Alonso than he wanted, had he made the move 2 laps sooner he likely could have won the whole thing, as he was absolutely flying in those last laps. He went from, what, 8 seconds back from 2nd to literally on Vettel's ass on the last corner (though he could have pulled up a bit to try and save fuel? Who knows). Lewis was absolutely wiped out afterward. Pushing that hard that long would do it for anybody. But if he is indeed suffering from long term covid effects, that's even more impressive (and scarier).

Summer break is here, and Mercedes is back on top, though with a TON of controversy. Let the silly season begin!