Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectwhat exactly is a stat padding assist?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2731300&mesg_id=2732192
2732192, what exactly is a stat padding assist?
Posted by bearfield, Sun Feb-14-21 06:00 PM
>It’s one thing to get stat padding assists, and its another
>to direct people and
>put people where they need to be.
>

this keeps getting brought up in these posts and i don't understand what y'all are talking about

is that when a basketball player improves their team's chances of winning by passing the basketball to a teammate who then scores points by successfully throwing the basketball into the basket? is it stat padding when they're down or up by a certain margin? is the stat-padding assist stat tracked on second spectrum?

>In Houston, it was more dribble,dribble, dribble ,and then
>bail out to shooters for the assist. We all remember what
>Giannis said about him.

yes. this was the game plan as directed by morey and d'antoni. morey often said that harden isos or harden-led pick and rolls were the most efficient possessions HOU could generate so that's what they did all the time

>With Brooklyn, he holds the ball less and dribbles less. He
>finds the open man a lot
>quicker, and is more direct with his play. He gets immediately
>into the offense.

there is more movement in BKN offense. again this is down to the coaching and FO. if morey/d'antoni wanted HOU players to move off-ball more then they would have made it happen

>He said he felt he needed to carry the offense while he was in
>Houston, so maybe
>he got stuck in a selfish mind state.

he did have to carry the offense in HOU. were they going to let danuel house run the offense? maybe run 20 pj tucker post-ups every game? when there was someone else capable of running the offense (cp3, russ) he shared and deferred. i will grant that he would occasionally get a little selfish (his 30 point game streak comes to mind) but i truly think he was just doing what he was told to do. do you think he wanted to shoot 15 stepbacks and drive to the rim 10 times and run the offense and handle the ball 99% of the time he was on the court in every single game? he must have had massive decision fatigue every day while he was in HOU. even when he was carrying them in early '19 through all those injuries he would say after every game, "i don't want to play like this but i have to do this in order for us to win"

>He is playing more like he used to play when he was with OKC.

on last night's broadcast mike breen noted that billy donovan called harden the best playmaker on OKC. i think harden is getting back to his roots and preferred style of play