Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRetraction: I can enjoy Cornette
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2731202&mesg_id=2733763
2733763, Retraction: I can enjoy Cornette
Posted by jimaveli, Thu Mar-18-21 04:38 PM
I stand by my disdain for the 'old dudes who doesn't like much after a certain time' podcast genre in general in most if not all industries.

But this thread made me go into some wrestling that I haven't watched in a while AND it made me go back into some Cornette pods. And I enjoyed lots of the pods. The Royal Rumbles I watched? Another story..I watched 2 random ones from the Attitude-ish era and they had plenty of the same flaws that folks gripe about in the more recent ones. Bad flow, folks getting thrown out and the camera missing it, bad announcing from folks we know and love, all of that. The main difference: the main folks were outrageously over like basically no one ever. That will Febreze a bunch of shaky production, wrestling, and booking.

Back to Corny, I don't consider him or anyone a hands-down, trust everything said type authority. And while I can agree with some of Corny's disdain, some of it clearly holds some personal stuff mixed in with it too. IE: his dislike for Owens and Zayn. And some of it is him doing the thing that folks do now: they fall into a rut of not liking something and then they are damn near on the hunt for something to dislike even though their whole show is about the thing they claim to dislike so dramatically. IE: a patriot pod about how horrible the libbs are or vice versa.

BUT

As long as he doesn't pop up on one of these shows shiling anytime soon, I can get with him in doses.

And I flat out love when he's talking about older stuff..especially the stuff where he was actually there..kinda like Bruce P's long azz pods.

And, at this point, I'm pretty much over any singles match with the Young Bucks. A batshit tag match with saves instead of 40 kickouts is one thing. A singles match with a dude kicking out of TWO Canadian Destroyers and then winning the match 8 minutes later is another. That's what One Buck vs Fenix was a couple of weeks ago. Pissed me straight off. But maybe I'm just a mark for Canadian Destroyers!

I still like most Kenny Omega matches even tho I think of Cornette and LMAO anytime he gets 'theatrical' with the movements. But hell, seeing a vintage Flair match features much theatre. The flop, the rope flip, the <1% success rate on top rope moves, the times where Flair basically has a Flair match with himself while the other guy stands in and their whole offense is forced to be 'I'm wrestling Flair so I must do these 4 moves even if I never do these moves any other time. Oh, and I gotta fire up like Hulk Hogan and no sell whenever he tells me to'. All of that.

>Who you got for Rumble winner?
>
>Any Predictions on who goes to Wrestle Mania and who walks
>away as champ?
>
>Kota Ibush is your new IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental
>Champion. How long will his reign last?
>
>Will Omega collect other titles from other companies and
>because the new Ultimo Dragon of this generation?
>
>This should be an exciting year in Pro Wrestling.