Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThe MLB HOF Committee is proud to welcome...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2730968
2730968, The MLB HOF Committee is proud to welcome...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Jan-26-21 06:43 PM
nobody, really (c)Sean P.
LOL. LMAO. What a fucking joke.
Schilling got like 71 percent. He's an absolute nut job, but he is a HOF baseball pitcher. The HOF is so fucked up. They don't know what they want dudes to get in based on. If you want it to be morals and shit, call it something else. Barry Bonds is a HOF baseball player, period. Roger Clemens is a world class dickhead, but he was NAILS, when it counted. This is hilarious, though.
Bonds and Clemens 61 percent
Scott Rolen 52 percent
Omar Vizquel 49 percent
Billy Wagner 46 percent
Todd Helton 44 percent
Gary Scheffield 40 percent
2730969, Fuck Schilling in the eye-socket. But Bonds and Clemens should...
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Jan-26-21 06:49 PM
...be in the HOF. No question.

I'm not getting up in arms about anyone else who missed it.

EDIT: Fixed typo in subject line.
2730971, RE: Fucking Schilling in the eye-socket...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Jan-26-21 07:09 PM
no doubt.
2730993, Schilling has only himself to blame
Posted by pretentious username, Wed Jan-27-21 09:13 AM
There was a good article in the Athletic by Joe Posnanski about why he would no longer vote for/defend Schilling and I thought it summed it up well. I have no love for the voters but I have even less love for this guy.

https://theathletic.com/2250850/2020/12/11/top-mlb-outside-the-hall-of-fame-curt-schilling/?source=user_shared_article

I have written repeatedly that he was one of the greatest pitchers of his time and that his career is way above the Hall of Fame line. I wrote that even after he was suspended for tweeting out a meme that seemed to draw comparisons between Muslims and Nazis. I wrote that even after he was fired from ESPN for promoting a transphobic meme. I wrote that even after he retweeted a “joke” about how awesome it would be to lynch journalists. I wrote that after he baselessly attacked Black NASCAR driver Bubba Wallace. After he challenged the legitimacy of a high school student who had endured a mass shooting. After he continues to spread bile and misinformation and division.

I don’t feel like writing it anymore.

Yes, I do believe Schilling was a great player. But I’m done. This year, for the first time, I will not vote for him. If the Hall of Fame really is an honor and not just an acknowledgment of baseball greatness, well, one thing I feel very sure about is that Curt Schilling doesn’t deserve it.

Sure, Schilling and his fans will say it’s about his conservative politics, but that’s a steaming crock of nonsense. I assume just about every player I’ve ever voted for the Hall of Fame is conservative politically. Heck, Mariano Rivera is probably the most prominent athlete who publicly and loudly supports Donald Trump — a position I’m sure Schilling envies — and Rivera is the only player in baseball history elected unanimously.

I can assure you that the vast majority of Hall of Famers are conservative. Get these guys together and, believe me, it looks and sounds an awful lot like a diner near you where old pals get together weekly to sit around eating eggs and bacon and talk about how great the Eisenhower days were.

And that’s fine. Who cares about their politics?

No, of course, it isn’t Schilling’s politics. It’s his nastiness. It’s his intolerance. It’s his compulsion to troll. Curt Schilling pushes anger and fear and hatred. Every day he divides, every day he offends … and all the while, he makes sure to note that those he offends deserve it, and bleep ’em if they can’t take a joke, and if they happen to have a Hall of Fame vote they should give it to him anyway because he was a damn good pitcher, particularly in the big games. I’ve done that for eight years. He was a damn good pitcher, particularly in the big games. I still rank him as one of the 100 greatest players in baseball history. But I’m not voting for him. I suspect he will get into the Hall of Fame anyway, and that’s fine. He doesn’t need my vote. He shows every day he doesn’t want my vote.
2730983, 14 voters sent in blank ballots. this is really silly
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Jan-26-21 09:03 PM
https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1354208215739863045

2731025, Im not against blank ballots
Posted by RobOne4, Wed Jan-27-21 04:57 PM
if there is no one that you think deserves it then dont vote for anyone. I hate the votes to come in for players who dont deserve it but need a minimum amount of votes to stay on the ballow. Fuck that if they deserve it vote if they dont then DONT VOTE...

BUT Bonds and Clemens deserve votes. There is no reason for the next 5 years and probably more to send in a blank vote unless we arent voting because roids. But Selig made it in so that argument is shit now. So in closing fuck Schilling. Thank you.
2730987, RE: The MLB HOF Committee is proud to welcome...
Posted by jimaveli, Tue Jan-26-21 10:51 PM
>nobody, really (c)Sean P.
>LOL. LMAO. What a fucking joke.
>Schilling got like 71 percent. He's an absolute nut job, but
>he is a HOF baseball pitcher. The HOF is so fucked up. They
>don't know what they want dudes to get in based on. If you
>want it to be morals and shit, call it something else. Barry
>Bonds is a HOF baseball player, period. Roger Clemens is a
>world class dickhead, but he was NAILS, when it counted. This
>is hilarious, though.
>Bonds and Clemens 61 percent
>Scott Rolen 52 percent
>Omar Vizquel 49 percent
>Billy Wagner 46 percent
>Todd Helton 44 percent
>Gary Scheffield 40 percent

It’s a bitch ass, Damn near rebloodicans-style group of folks with votes. And you know those mfers didn’t watch the games..that’s what pisses me off the most..just sitting around looking at graphs and stats and mixing that with negative feelings. Seems like sour grapes and ho shit like ‘not liking a guy’ is enough to vote nay on the hall for somebody. It’s a joke.

The nfl has the different problem where you can argue that they are putting ‘too many’ folks in and there’s no differentiation. But really, I’d rather a hall have too many ‘really good but maybe not HOF’ dudes in there than the shit baseball has where clear and obvious HOF folks are out cuz of bullshit. Fuck ass shit to the max. If I was one of those dudes, I wouldn’t discuss the hall in detail on record ever. And if they waited forever to put me in, I might fuck around and no-show any of their bullshit in-person gigs too.
2730988, Posnanski (as usual) explained what the HOF has become:
Posted by will_5198, Tue Jan-26-21 10:53 PM
Bonds’ punishment for cheating the game is not a tangible sentence — a suspension, a fine, community service of some kind — but instead to pretend that his legendary seasons never happened, that he simply ceased to exist. This is how we often handle such things: We pretend...in this way, we can pretend that Henry Aaron still holds the all-time home run record and Barry Bonds was not, in actuality, one of the greatest players in baseball history.

I get all of this. The trouble I have is that I don’t think avoiding reality is much of an answer.

My best guess is that Bonds is not going to the Hall of Fame anytime soon. I don’t believe the Baseball Writers’ Association of America will vote him in, and I certainly don’t believe the Hall of Fame veterans committees will be eager to honor him. I used to wonder how long the Hall of Fame could maintain its place in baseball royalty without the all-time hit leader (Pete Rose), the all-time home run leader (Bonds), perhaps the greatest pitcher who ever lived (Roger Clemens), the most perfect home run machine of them all (Mark McGwire) and one of the most beloved baseball folk heroes in the game’s history (Shoeless Joe Jackson) along with, in the famed words of John Updike, gems of slightly lesser water, such as Sammy Sosa, Manny Ramírez, Rafael Palmeiro, Kevin Brown, Gary Sheffield and, perhaps soon, Alex Rodríguez.

I don’t wonder about this anymore. The Hall of Fame — and baseball fans generally — seem perfectly comfortable enough with the dissonance. Thirty years ago, the only truly great player missing from the Hall of Fame because of his “character” was Shoeless Joe, who took money from gamblers to throw the 1919 World Series. Now, as you can see, the list of such players is vast and rapidly growing and the Hall of Fame means something different from what it used to mean.