Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjecthe looked like shit 2nd round, and I think this is beginning of the end
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2730561&mesg_id=2730843
2730843, he looked like shit 2nd round, and I think this is beginning of the end
Posted by Tiger Woods, Mon Jan-25-21 09:14 AM

you can't be that rich and that inactive and come back thinking it'll be a cakewalk against top tier guys like Dustin Poirier. He actually did wobble Poirier first round, and Poirier himself said he was another shot or two from going out. But McGregor never adjusted to the leg kicks - they immobilized him, made his striking wild, and stood him still long enough for DP to tag him up.

If Conor wants to make the adjustments necessary to compete I believe he can still compete. But he's also so wealthy and comfortable at this point that I'm unsure why he'd want to.

His heyday was a lightning bolt of excitement, but truthfully the Conor that everyone fell in love with last showed himself about 5.5 years ago. Since his master class against Eddie Alvarez at MSG, McGregor "fought" Mayweather in a side show boxing exhibition , got his ass kicked by Khabib, ran through old washed Donald Cerrone, and got his ass kicked by Dustin Poirier. I think we need to recalibrate our expectations of Conor McGregor moving forward. He's made no adjustments stylistically, has barely competed, and has been mostly unimpressive in his two competitions against elite guys (Khabib and Poirier.)

He may come back, but I sense this is the beginning of the end for him ala Chuck Liddell after Rampage or Anderson Silva after Chris Weidman. As soon as these guys feel automatic and bigger than their weight classes, that seems to be when their bubbles burst the loudest - right when we least expect it.