Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThe lack of a black hire makes me think these orgs...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2729081&mesg_id=2730208
2730208, The lack of a black hire makes me think these orgs...
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Mon Jan-18-21 04:19 PM
The lack of a black hire makes me think these orgs don't even know good PR much less have a real commitment to stand by their pro-BLM statements before the season.

The model sports used to integrate players doesn't seem to work within the power structures of these organizations.

The rosters are more integrated because the coaches realized that Black players' performance in smaller leagues outperformed their white counterparts. The coaches couldn't win without Black players so they went with the tide to preserve their jobs. Cultural acceptance was secondary to winning.

With management or coaching, the differences between a good candidate are generally slight. (Gase and Bienemy excepted) There's no combine that measures with a chart how well a coach can manage the ego of a player or 'manage up.'

So, given that a black coach isn't going to be (or have the chance to prove) the clear best choice, the tie (like in virtually every aspect of business) goes to the white candidate.

Diversity would be that if a white candidate and a POC candidate are up for the job, the POC coach is awarded the job a proportional amount. The NFL is not doing that, to be understated. It, like almost all aspects of society, needs to do better accepting candidates of differing background AND giving them the influence and power to set their own culture - with players and management.

No, I'm not really surprised or shocked. Just disappointed in the same, unfortunately, familiar way.