Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectBarkley On Kyrie Lol
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2727874
2727874, Barkley On Kyrie Lol
Posted by Reeq, Fri Dec-18-20 12:12 PM
around the 4:32 mark.
https://youtu.be/IAYWBDwHGyw?t=272

chuck sound simple as hell but kyrie do be overdoing it.
2727876, lmao.. he’s not wrong tho
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Dec-18-20 12:27 PM
almost feels like Kyrie wants to be on the Lebron level when it comes to speaking on topics outside of basketball but he’s just not there yet.

He’s like the Kanye of the NBA.

2727891, Damon Young said he's basically Darius from Atlanta
Posted by Hitokiri, Fri Dec-18-20 02:46 PM
and I fell out
2727935, no cap, that was the best piece of writing on Kyrie.... ever.
Posted by Dr Claw, Fri Dec-18-20 11:52 PM
2727989, All that nigga did was read my timeline.
Posted by Basaglia, Sat Dec-19-20 06:56 PM

especially the steph and dame doing dumb shit too parts.
2727877, well, first of all you not...lol...
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Dec-18-20 12:30 PM
Chuck, man.
2727936, LOL!
Posted by CyrenYoung, Fri Dec-18-20 11:53 PM

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2727894, Is this not Chuck telling Kyrie to essentially "shut up and dribble" ???
Posted by Oak27, Fri Dec-18-20 03:11 PM
the context in why he's being told to "shut up" is obviously different (Chuck even adds that if he wants to talk about social issues to go ahead and do so) but this still gives off "shut up and dribble" vibes when Chuck uses phrases like "you're just a basketball player."
2727902, No. That’s a Bol Bol reach
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Fri Dec-18-20 04:06 PM
2727904, Cool, just wondering if my reaction was valid.
Posted by Oak27, Fri Dec-18-20 04:11 PM
2727927, Lol
Posted by Cenario, Fri Dec-18-20 09:14 PM
2727929, This dude talked about his art bruh
Posted by Cenario, Fri Dec-18-20 09:18 PM
2728191, We talking about art? Art bruh?
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Dec-22-20 03:40 PM
2727895, While he's not entirely wrong, it's rich coming from Chuck.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Dec-18-20 03:20 PM
Didn't Chuck have an entire TV show about racism in America? Where he excused cop violence and sat down with Richard Spencer? lmao, I mean, cmon. Talking about "you're just a basketball player" to Kyrie after that.

I also don't mind Kyrie eschewing the media at *all.* I think the media's stubborn insistence that media availability is one of the most important things about being a basketball player is completely wrongheaded. I couldn't give less of a shit about what athletes say to the press. 95% of the time, it's just canned answers anyway. Yeah, Kyrie absolutely says galaxy brain shit, lol-- but if he can be the best player on the floor, and he's avoiding being overtly problematic, then I don't really care.

As long as he doesn't begin an IG Live with "let's talk about vaccines for a minute," then he can philosophize all he wants, lmao. I'll still be a fan.
2727958, Sorry but that is ridiculous.
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Dec-19-20 02:53 PM
Kyrie apologia aside (come on if he were not a Dukie you would be dragging his ass), let's get into the eschewing the media stuff.

Player to public communication is still done primarily through the news media despite the emergence of Twitter, the Players' Tribune, etc. "Canned answers" are the norm, but not the absolute. Now, what do you think we would get if it were not for media availability? Zero accountability and total control of the narrative by corporate entities, essentially (leagues, franchises, sponsors, players' "brands").

Furthermore, while the hardest hitting stuff is done over time and across different settings, the game coverage is still where relationships are built between reporters and players. Without that, there is no deep dive or heart-wrenching feature down the line, because there is no trust and no building up to the bigger stuff.

Lastly, and I would think this is obvious, is that postgame availability is essential for there to be game coverage at all. The timing is extremely tight and the possible interview subjects are very few. Once a star starts blowing off availability or teams start really narrowing who they put out there, the whole thing falls apart. It's very delicate to begin with and once you have situations where guys who should talk most nights never talk, or the coach starts showing up late or there is just no one to talk to, now there is nothing for the people doing their jobs or the fans pursuing their passion.
2728025, This isn’t true.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Dec-20-20 11:13 AM
>Kyrie apologia aside (come on if he were not a Dukie you
>would be dragging his ass)

I loved what Marshawn Lynch did at the time too. I don’t defend every stupid ass thing Kyrie says just because he went to Duke, but I do defend Kyrie and any player who’s had an unfavorable relationship with the media if they decide “fuck it, I’m done with this.”

Also, I think it’s *probably* worth pointing out that, while you accuse me of defending Kyrie because I went to Duke, you gave an impassioned defense of access to sports media at least in part because... you are a member of sports media, lol. So of course you’re not going to agree with me that player access to sports media isn’t important— it’s literally your job. I would’ve been stunned if you’d agreed, lol.

And that’s fine. I understand your points— I’m not saying the media doesn’t have value. I’m saying, for sports, the vast majority of the time, it’s not important to me. If a player feels he’s getting misrepresented in media coverage and it’s serving as a distraction from his goal of winning, then I don’t mind that player not talking to the media and letting his game do the talking.
2728130, RE: This isn’t true.
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Mon Dec-21-20 01:52 PM
>>Kyrie apologia aside (come on if he were not a Dukie you
>>would be dragging his ass)
>
>I loved what Marshawn Lynch did at the time too. I don’t
>defend every stupid ass thing Kyrie says just because he went
>to Duke, but I do defend Kyrie and any player who’s had an
>unfavorable relationship with the media if they decide “fuck
>it, I’m done with this.”

Why? Especially if you actually show up. If you want to blow it off, let someone else go out there and fill the role.

>Also, I think it’s *probably* worth pointing out that, while
>you accuse me of defending Kyrie because I went to Duke, you
>gave an impassioned defense of access to sports media at least
>in part because... you are a member of sports media, lol.

Well I guess I didn't infer that you were defending Kyrie in a single context but of course the post doesn't exist in a vaccum either. As far as the second part, oh, you mean I understand how the dynamic functions from the side of the players, press, team and leagues? That's like saying "well of course you want people to wear masks, you're a medical professional." I've worked situations where the head coach was an alcoholic, where the head coach checked out completely, where the star players ducked the media for 90 percent of the season, where guys gave bullshit answers to waste people's time, etc. There is no one voice that's going to torpedo things. The problem is when that becomes pervasive, because the overwhelming majority of actors involved get that the press is a tool for them, not a burden, and that everyone has a job to do around the arena.

So
>of course you’re not going to agree with me that player
>access to sports media isn’t important— it’s literally
>your job. I would’ve been stunned if you’d agreed, lol.
>
>And that’s fine. I understand your points— I’m not
>saying the media doesn’t have value. I’m saying, for
>sports, the vast majority of the time, it’s not important to
>me. If a player feels he’s getting misrepresented in media
>coverage and it’s serving as a distraction from his goal of
>winning, then I don’t mind that player not talking to the
>media and letting his game do the talking.

We're not talking about the media in general, we are talking about availability and game coverage, which you're totally overlooking and taking for granted. As far as him feeling misrepresented, sorry, he wants it both ways. He wants to be some D-grade Kanye and then whine that he is "misrepresented." If you want to fly under the radar, it is pretty easy.
2728158, this is a lie sports media tells itself
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Dec-22-20 07:07 AM
" Zero accountability and total control of the narrative by corporate entities, essentially (leagues, franchises, sponsors, players' "brands")."

authorized media sessions managed by credentialed personnel aren't real accountability in sports or even politics.

james harden sat there and lied like a mf in his media session. there's no consequence or real availability or accountability.

if he didn't do it, we'd have the same level of "accountability." I understand media members demanding access, it's their job. as a fan, I give less than zero percent of a shit. nobody reallllllly gets held to the fire because of what they said in a pregame scrum

kyrie doing or not doing those sessions is, from my perspective, an issue with him and his fellow players. because somebody has to talk to the media, it's the deal literally signed. nobody wants to do it, because it sucks, but the agreement is that everyone does it a little.

it's not a moral responsibility to the public, it's one to everyone else in the union

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
2728244, ^^THIS^^
Posted by CyrenYoung, Wed Dec-23-20 04:48 AM
..it ain't no more to it. © B.I.G.

2728836, that's a relatively recent phenomenon
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Dec-31-20 04:14 PM
it is absolutely going in the wrong direction and what you pointed out is less a refutation than support of the argument. when you had a much more open system there was much more transparent and natural communication. what we see today is a move toward totally eliminating independent media. right now it is in an interstitial space where independent media has been marginalized but not yet eliminated. so just imagine how whitewashed everything will be once it is.
2728837, I have no idea what this means
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Dec-31-20 04:51 PM
when was the time of the open system and independent media?

the 90s? the 80s?

because there was no accountability, and it was all access then.

2730003, how was there no accountability?
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Jan-16-21 04:24 AM
level of interaction was much higher than, and there was a lot of transparency. some things were handled in house, but they were known and handled. today you can barely squeeze in a follow up question during the ephemeral access you do get.
2727896, ngl i kind of agree w/ chuck
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Dec-18-20 03:26 PM
im one of the biggest kyrie fans out as a player and a person but man he just leaves me scratching my head so much at times. i try to just pay attention to him on the court
2727903, Same he’s making hard to support him.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Fri Dec-18-20 04:08 PM
Like, I wanna co-sign what you’re saying, but you sound dumb as fuck.
2727901, Kyrie would be smarter if he went to Auburn
Posted by guru0509, Fri Dec-18-20 03:48 PM
2727928, Fuuuuck, I was tryna make it through life without
Posted by Cenario, Fri Dec-18-20 09:17 PM
Agreeing with chuck
2727931, Chuck is a bully, always going for the low hanging fruit.
Posted by Castro, Fri Dec-18-20 09:54 PM
2727959, that's true but that is what most of "punditry" is
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Dec-19-20 02:55 PM
easy targets, low-hanging fruit and getting people nodding
2728147, punditry is 'we're losing recipes!'...Charle's steez is someone
Posted by Castro, Mon Dec-21-20 06:13 PM
who he knows is uncomfortable with media attention gets targeted for doing something that isn't even basketball related.

I hope Kyrie responds with a video wearing his championship ring. Just petty Charles cornball ass to death.
2728134, he hasn't seen shit yet if that team doesn't live up to the hype that NY media...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Dec-21-20 02:44 PM
is going to eat him alive
2728170, Doubt it...NY media is all about the knicks
Posted by Cenario, Tue Dec-22-20 12:17 PM
As long as the knicks are inept, BK will be fine
2728157, Chuck is completely wrong...
Posted by bentagain, Tue Dec-22-20 05:13 AM
Kyrie is absolutely an artist on the court

Does anyone else think Kyrie is trolling?

It didn’t occur to me until that IG live where he’s pretending to be KD and they’re negotiating how many post-ups they should get

Thought back to the flat earth comment...and that didn’t even feel sincere TBH

I honestly think ‘Rie and KD are trolling

Chuck contradicts himself with the sentiment of...who cares what this guy thinks...and yet here we are with interviews on what Kyrie thinks

Let’s be real about the media availability stuff

Every player doesn’t do post game interviews

They want the stars

If he doesn’t want to do it, I don’t have a problem with that...but there are ways to use that platform for causes that Kyrie supports

Let Kap be his spokesperson and give him the post game interview time

He could answer every question with...arrest the cops that killed Breonna Taylor

Designate Jared Allen the official Nets spokesperson

Etc...

Chuck’s hot takes got cold in 2020...maybe he should stick to commenting on basketball.
2728233, it's just like, when are we gonna call an asshole an asshole?
Posted by Tiger Woods, Tue Dec-22-20 10:50 PM

dude behaves like an asshole, and if he isn't an asshole he should just prove us all wrong. All of this benefit of the doubt mess...cmon dude. He acts like a dick consistently then gets confused when people think he's a dick.

>Kyrie is absolutely an artist on the court
>
>Does anyone else think Kyrie is trolling?
>
>It didn’t occur to me until that IG live where he’s
>pretending to be KD and they’re negotiating how many
>post-ups they should get
>
>Thought back to the flat earth comment...and that didn’t
>even feel sincere TBH
>
>I honestly think ‘Rie and KD are trolling
>
>Chuck contradicts himself with the sentiment of...who cares
>what this guy thinks...and yet here we are with interviews on
>what Kyrie thinks
>
>Let’s be real about the media availability stuff
>
>Every player doesn’t do post game interviews
>
>They want the stars
>
>If he doesn’t want to do it, I don’t have a problem with
>that...but there are ways to use that platform for causes that
>Kyrie supports
>
>Let Kap be his spokesperson and give him the post game
>interview time
>
>He could answer every question with...arrest the cops that
>killed Breonna Taylor
>
>Designate Jared Allen the official Nets spokesperson
>
>Etc...
>
>Chuck’s hot takes got cold in 2020...maybe he should stick
>to commenting on basketball.
2728247, Why do I care?
Posted by bentagain, Wed Dec-23-20 07:25 AM
He’s a magician on the court
The footwork
The handles
J is wet
I AM ENTERTAINED!

I couldn’t care less about the off court stuff
He’s hurting no one...but yeah, sure, he could be a complete and total a$$hole

What does that have to do with him as a basketball player?

Did you see the game last night
KD does the post game interview live on air
...and the TNT crew immediately starts clowning him...

Why would they WANT to talk to these guys?

Chuck with the...artist digs throughout the broadcast

Were you calling chuck or ‘Rie an a$$hole?
2728176, all this anger around kyrie, meanwhile harden was club hopping
Posted by RandomFact, Tue Dec-22-20 01:27 PM
in multiple cities.

during the height of a pandemic, while his teammates were at preseason camp. teammates that he knew he would be seeing at some point in the near future.

out there literally endangering the lives of the people around him.

yet no one says a word. no one is mad.

2728177, you have a weird definition of no one.
Posted by Cenario, Tue Dec-22-20 01:29 PM

>yet no one says a word. no one is mad.
>
>
2728184, shit, may bad. i haven't been following enough i guess*
Posted by RandomFact, Tue Dec-22-20 02:16 PM
i'm talking about the media, not this board btw.

i remember in the immediate aftermath of the harden/lil baby stuff, stephen a (and others) were on espn saying he did it to "send a signal to houston's front office." like, that's all they said about it. then they went on to trash kyrie for doing goofy harmless stuff.

good to know that people have been calling harden out though.

*been on a news hiatus (sports included) for the last week or so.

2728190, They def have been coming from him...even on the fact that
Posted by Cenario, Tue Dec-22-20 03:38 PM
Hou has a black first time coach
2728241, I have no idea what media you look at or don't
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Dec-23-20 12:44 AM
but it was discussed by pretty much everyone I'm aware of.

2728180, no one said a word about harden?
Posted by Reeq, Tue Dec-22-20 01:41 PM
dudes recent behavior, him running off coaches/teammates, and the article about the red carpet treatment hes gotten from houston since hes been there have pretty much driven the sports media cycle for the past 3 weeks.

this kyrie stuff isnt even getting a fraction of the engagements of trivial shit like the richard mille watch and prada bag filled with honey buns that harden gave lil baby for his bday.
2728182, bro, TONS of people have talked about Harden wildin...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Dec-22-20 02:07 PM
there's an Athletic article that came out this morning, or last night, about him getting into it with a rookie teammate and throwing a ball at him.
2728186, More like James Soften, amiright?
Posted by DJR, Tue Dec-22-20 03:21 PM
2728187, I'm partial to "James Charmin"
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Dec-22-20 03:24 PM
2728245, *Added to the OKP lexicon*
Posted by CyrenYoung, Wed Dec-23-20 04:51 AM

2728256, James Garden....because the hoe is in him
Posted by DJR, Wed Dec-23-20 09:54 AM
2728257, lmfao
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Dec-23-20 10:13 AM
2728264, damn, that's harsh
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Dec-23-20 11:02 AM
2728696, I logged in just to LOL at this
Posted by Sleepy, Mon Dec-28-20 05:55 PM
Yeah, but that sounds about right.
2728262, Rockets and league looking into a video...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Dec-23-20 10:58 AM
of Harden...maskless at a Christmas party, held at a strip club, possibly attended this week. His availability for tonight’s opener could be in jeopardy. Houston won’t be able to trade dude to the Flint Tropics, at this rate.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30588182/houston-rockets-nba-reviewing-james-harden-strip-club-video-sources-say
2728266, rockets need to suspend/fine him for conduct detrimental to the team
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Dec-23-20 11:21 AM
its time to make an example out of his ass
2728254, I wonder if he did this last night...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Dec-23-20 09:27 AM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30550263/kyrie-irving-cleanses-court-helps-nets-beat-celtics-return-boston
2728270, Ionno, but they fuckin blessed the Warriors, lol
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Dec-23-20 12:17 PM
2728418, HA,HA,HA,HA!
Posted by allStah, Fri Dec-25-20 07:34 PM
All the Ls in this post. And I don’t even like Kyrie ...but I know to keep my mouth shut
about him.

Y’all pawns and kyrie knew it.

2728429, its 2 games fam.
Posted by Reeq, Fri Dec-25-20 10:55 PM
2728848, Here for these Chuck Ls
Posted by bentagain, Fri Jan-01-21 10:47 AM
There shouldn’t be any role that is deemed for male or female. It should be open. And that should be the principal that we all live by. But there is still a fight. And I am grateful to be a part of history and Becky to make history and there is more history to be made for women and their empowerment in the work place, as well as respect across the world,
2728849, Kyrie Irving Pays Off Tuition of 9 HBCU Students Through His Foundation
Posted by bentagain, Fri Jan-01-21 10:50 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2924903-nets-kyrie-irving-pays-off-tuition-of-9-hbcu-students-through-his-foundation

Who’s gonna make the official apologize to Kyrie post?

He’s putting in work

+1 the handles debate is officially dead.
2730029, yet another thing that bron is infinitely better at.
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Jan-16-21 03:14 PM
2730085, I tried... I can’t defend dude anymore
Posted by bentagain, Sun Jan-17-21 06:36 AM
This millennial me first B$ is lost with all that’s going on

Kyrie managed to out-emo Drake.
2730219, I read today that he bought a house for George Floyd's family
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Jan-19-21 12:49 AM
I don't wanna opine on the guy as a person and I am glad he does some good with his money. But as a basketball player I would not touch this guy with a 100-foot pole.
2730002, how many different shades of bitch is this guy?
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Jan-16-21 04:23 AM
now he is talking about potentially sitting out the season? lmao. i guess he wants to guarantee the nets a trip to the ECF.
2730008, He might be one of the dumbest players in the league
Posted by guru0509, Sat Jan-16-21 10:48 AM

>now he is talking about potentially sitting out the season?
>lmao. i guess he wants to guarantee the nets a trip to the
>ECF.
2730011, "NBA athletes should get vaccine priority cuz they pay more taxes."
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Jan-16-21 11:21 AM
It's crazy that Kyrie said this! He needs to realize he's good at basketball, he's not the smartest guy in the room, and he should stick to basketball instead of--

... oh wait, Chuck is the moron who just said this. Never mind.

Like I said, Kyrie has earned plenty of criticism... but for Chuck to accuse any athlete of thinking he's the smartest guy in the room and that he should stick to basketball is *absolutely hilarious.*
2730017, RE: "NBA athletes should get vaccine priority cuz they pay more taxes."
Posted by vik, Sat Jan-16-21 12:32 PM
Yea I had Fox News on mute (I hate-watch sometimes, know your enemy) and they had a segment about this. I happened to look up and saw the quote and I was like yep bet it was Chuck.

I love the guy but he's the ultimate smart-dumb.
2730047, Oh, for *comedy* Chuck is unparalleled.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Jan-16-21 08:03 PM
It's when he tries to say some meaningful shit that shit goes South.
2730123, I mean he went to Auburn, so we know he is not educated
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sun Jan-17-21 05:42 PM
That said, part of the beauty of Chuck is that he does think for himself, even if his thoughts are not necessarily grounded in things like logic and consistency. I read one of his books even. Certainly it was filled with some dumb ideas but a lot of others were not trrbll and they were not things other people were saying. Like anyone who talks a lot (e.g. literally every radio and TV host), you've got to discard a lot of shit he says and maybe some of it with him should be discarded with a little more contempt than average.

But that isn't to say he doesn't have good ideas. Even some of his more controversial things, like his dalliance with the GOP. What did he say? When asked if the GOP was the party for the rich, he asked well what the hell do you think I am? He did that not to concur as much as spin the question back on the reporter like, hey, I'm a lot fucking richer than you, and I'm also black. His rationale in the book was basically that Black America has given its unyielding loyalty to the DNC and they haven't gotten enough in return. That sounds like a statement that ahead of its time to me (this was 20 years ago).

So you know, he is like the barbershop banter or talking to your uncle at a cookout. There's a lot of off the wall bullshit, but it doesn't mean he is stupid or crazy or bereft of insight.
2730127, eldridge cleaver said this when he endorsed nixon.
Posted by Reeq, Sun Jan-17-21 05:51 PM
>His rationale in the book was basically that
>Black America has given its unyielding loyalty to the DNC and
>they haven't gotten enough in return. That sounds like a
>statement that ahead of its time to me (this was 20 years
>ago).

mind you...the cleaver endorsement of nixon was just a few years after a democratic president signed both the civil rights act and the voting rights act.

so its not ahead of its time...as its literally been an intentional right wing talking point for decades that they convinced more and more black people into making sense of ('democratic plantation'...dems keep black people loyal with welfare and food stamps...etc). and prominent black people have said it even in the wake of democrats passing historically momentus legislation to help black people.

20 years ago woulda been around the end of the clinton era...when the black middle class made its most gains in modern history due to clinton job/economic legislation...black wage growth was the highest in modern history...and black child poverty was the lowest in modern history.

so barkleys line of thinking was just as dumb then as it was now. and the black people that say it tend to be the ones that know the least about politics (grifters, youtube pundits, rappers, etc).
2730221, Barkley wrote a similar book called Sole on Ice. About a seafood tower.
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Jan-19-21 01:01 AM
>mind you...the cleaver endorsement of nixon was just a few
>years after a democratic president signed both the civil
>rights act and the voting rights act.

And while he turned out to make the wrong move (to understate it), his rationale wasn't wrong or at least not entirely wrong. Johnson did not want to sign the voting rights act but eventually caved. He also thought the Civil Rights Act was the right political move, and said some crass things about that. That isn't to say that Republicans provided shit for an alternative, but that POV tells half the story very accurately.

>so its not ahead of its time...as its literally been an
>intentional right wing talking point for decades that they
>convinced more and more black people into making sense of
>('democratic plantation'...dems keep black people loyal with
>welfare and food stamps...etc). and prominent black people
>have said it even in the wake of democrats passing
>historically momentus legislation to help black people.

That is taking it several steps farther than Barkley was, though I can't speak for Cleaver. In the book he was not advocating for either party but rather discussing why he was open to both. I do think Barkley has made a career of fence-riding and definitely drifted in Whitlock/Elder territory at times.

>20 years ago woulda been around the end of the clinton
>era...when the black middle class made its most gains in
>modern history due to clinton job/economic legislation...black
>wage growth was the highest in modern history...and black
>child poverty was the lowest in modern history.
>
>so barkleys line of thinking was just as dumb then as it was
>now. and the black people that say it tend to be the ones
>that know the least about politics (grifters, youtube pundits,
>rappers, etc).

It's not accurate but you get the sentiment behind it and it makes you think about your own beliefs. It isn't on the same level as the type of assholes you're talking about. Looking at it from the outside, I get why some people feel that way because it is sort of a bad cop/worse cop situation--over all and certainly when it comes to race--in politics. The idea is that one party more or less upholds the status quo and the other tries to open up progressive pathways. Instead we generally have an actively reactionary party and the left is often upholding the status quo (we are talking on a federal level here, at least). You also have some commodification going on, where there is political currency to oppression and disparity. I get the resentment there but of course the conclusion of supporting the right is absurd. It's like saying you don't like wearing a cast so you are going to amputate your leg.
2730245, I actually agree....Barkely is not an idealogue nor a contrarian.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Jan-19-21 01:13 PM

He has some awful views, though. But they are genuine, and I get
the idea that he'd walk things back if proved wrong.

2730268, Barkley is very much dumb as fuck
Posted by ternary_star, Tue Jan-19-21 10:44 PM
He obviously doesn't know shit about politics, but he doesn't even know shit about basketball. I mean, "Who He Play For?" is funny as hell, but it's literally based around the fact that Barkley doesn't even bother to learn basics about the sport he covers.

He says "crazy" things and seems like a good hang, but make no mistake, the man is dumb.
2747095, Damn, he could miss games at Barclays and other places with mandates
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Fri Sep-24-21 07:19 PM
Because he’s not vaxxed. It’s not just him though— a bunch of players who are still unvaxxed
2747101, oh no what a shame consequences for actions
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Sep-24-21 11:40 PM
2747112, I never want to hear another fucking word about Kyrie's intellect/ IQ
Posted by guru0509, Sat Sep-25-21 11:22 AM
or how "smart" he is.

>around the 4:32 mark.
>https://youtu.be/IAYWBDwHGyw?t=272
>
>chuck sound simple as hell but kyrie do be overdoing it.
2747222, Yep, he (Kyrie) definitely believes the earth is flat.
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Mon Sep-27-21 04:47 AM
I’m sure he eats paste too.
2747223, If he wasn't a basketball player we'd view him the same as Alex Jones
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Mon Sep-27-21 07:36 AM
Dude is a pretentious nutcase with a good crossover.
2747230, The attacks on Kyrie are disrespectful
Posted by Kira, Mon Sep-27-21 01:35 PM
Ky isn't Alex Jones because his stances are vague and private for the most. Can't knock the hustle is to date the best glimpse of who Kyrie is: a complex individual from the Kobe tree here to play basketball and go home.
2747234, Definitely not.
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Sep-27-21 02:21 PM
>glimpse of who Kyrie is: a complex individual from the Kobe
>tree here to play basketball and go home.

Kobe played almost an entire season with a broken finger. He would've been first in line to get the vaccine if he thought it was something that could keep him off the court.
2747235, No
Posted by Tiger Woods, Mon Sep-27-21 02:35 PM
In their line of work, getting the vaccine is literally a competitive advantage. Look at Brady - he’s a known Trumper, but his team is 100% vaccinated because not being 100% vaccinated leaves your team vulnerable. Kobe similarly would’ve gotten the shot like Brady did.
2747239, No, they're not.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Sep-27-21 03:29 PM
If you're an irresponsible dumbass on a particular subject-- in Kyrie's case, science-- then it's acceptable to call you an irresponsible dumbass. If he didn't want to be called an irresponsible dumbass, then there are exceedingly easy ways to clear that up.

I love Kyrie the player. I love Kyrie the activist. He's genuinely one of my favorite players of the last decade. But Kyrie the galaxy brain science weirdo is an irresponsible dumbass. And at this point, there's no real reason to defend it. He's a complex dude who does some indisputably good things. His decision to not get vaccinated-- and to be coy about it-- is not one of those things.
2747265, yup.
Posted by kayru99, Tue Sep-28-21 09:22 AM
people who make a living from using their bodies being skeptical of a experimental, rushed medicine with no idea of it's long term side effects is coldly logical.

Especially since there is no path to recourse in the event of long term negative side effects.

It makes perfect sense for all pro athletes to be extraordinarily wary of the vax, as it stands.
2747266, You know all that can be said of COVID too
Posted by Cenario, Tue Sep-28-21 09:30 AM
no idea of long term effects
no path to recourse in the event of long term negative side effects
it makes perfect sense for all pro athletes to be extraordinarily wary of a disease that has killed 4.5+ million people, as it stands
2747267, ...uhhh yeah. That's kind of the point
Posted by kayru99, Tue Sep-28-21 09:36 AM
If all that is true of the actual virus (which it absolutely is), how can the mRNA vaccine of the virus be more of a known quantity?

We don't know enough about the *virus or the vaccine* to be issuing mandates about the vaccine.

2747270, There's enough evidence available right now that COVID is likely
Posted by Cenario, Tue Sep-28-21 09:49 AM
to cause more sickness and death than the vaccine.

Your argument about future risk and unknowns is AT BEST 50-50 between those that are vaccinated and those that recover from COVID. and the AT best is a stretch/
2747271, Your last 2 sentences seem to make no sense
Posted by kayru99, Tue Sep-28-21 10:02 AM
explain that further, please.

Re: there's enough evidence that COVID causes more death & illness than the vax....seeing how neither the disease or the vax have been around long enough to fully understand how either work, or to see the long term effects of either...i'm gonna say it's still hella inconclusive re: sickness.

Look, this whole situation is uncharted territory. It's a lot of unknowns that are still being worked out. That's scary AF, but it's just true.

It makes for sense for people to have doubts. It doesn't makes sense to mock them for it
2747272, i meant the future risks associated with those that receive the vax
Posted by Cenario, Tue Sep-28-21 10:24 AM
vs the future risks associated with those that catch covid and don't die...there both unknowns. I'd rather worry about the long term 'risk' of the vax than the long term risk of covid, but at best one could argue its 50-50 about whats worst.

the present risks of catching covid unvaxxed vs the present risks of the vaccine its quite clear that the present risks of COVID are way worst
2747274, but...those long term risks aren't known. That's the point
Posted by kayru99, Tue Sep-28-21 10:52 AM
We don't know conclusively the long term effects of the virus OR the vax.
And COVID risk factors appear to be somewhat mitigated by fitness levels, pre-existing conditions, age, etc.

Nothing about any of this is definitive. it's still a work in progress.
Your comfort level is to be respected, so no one should clown you for your choice.
That should be extended to everyone, tho.
2747276, right the long term effects are unknown.
Posted by Cenario, Tue Sep-28-21 10:56 AM
the current risks are fairly evident.
2747278, and for YOU that's fine
Posted by kayru99, Tue Sep-28-21 10:59 AM
Somebody else may think otherwise.
They get to live with that choice for their body.
2747293, They dcan. And they can also sit their ass at home.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Sep-28-21 02:22 PM
>Somebody else may think otherwise.
>They get to live with that choice for their body.

Agreed. And guys like Beal and Kyrie can watch as fans of the game from their home, with the rest of us.
2747357, agreed.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Thu Sep-30-21 06:31 AM
But their choice to NOT get the vaccine can effect everyone around them.
They can't make that personal choice for themselves AND still want the freedom of doing whatever they want.
That choice comes with consequences.
THAT's what people are pushing back on. And they should.
2747268, these team doctors give these athletes way more dangerous medication...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Sep-28-21 09:37 AM
to keep them on the court/field and most of them take it without question so is comical to see some of them try to take a stance on this lol
2747269, they KNOW the longterm side effects of the pain meds.
Posted by kayru99, Tue Sep-28-21 09:40 AM
Enough to provide informed consent or dissent.

NO ONE knows the long-term side effects of any of the vaxes, OR the actual disease.

Choosing to take or not take the vax really is (and should remain) a personal medical decision. Ethically, it's the only thing that makes sense
2747273, RE: they KNOW the longterm side effects of the pain meds.
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Sep-28-21 10:27 AM
>Enough to provide informed consent or dissent.
>
>NO ONE knows the long-term side effects of any of the vaxes,
>OR the actual disease.
>
>Choosing to take or not take the vax really is (and should
>remain) a personal medical decision. Ethically, it's the only
>thing that makes sense

kids have to vaccinated for things like chickenpox, measles and mumps before they can even go to school, its usually not a "personal medical decision" its mandatory.

If your like a 100% vegan, don't take aspirin, don't do any kind of drugs or alcohol I could maybe empathize with people taking that stance. If not they need to STFU because they just sound dumb.
2747277, what.
Posted by kayru99, Tue Sep-28-21 10:56 AM
This makes no sense.
All medications aren't the same, lol

Being against a new pharma product =/= against medicine, in general.
2747288, because of course, you've done the "research"...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Sep-28-21 01:39 PM
>This makes no sense.
>All medications aren't the same, lol
2747335, whut.
Posted by kayru99, Wed Sep-29-21 02:22 PM
what research is needed to know that aspirin, smallpox, and veganism are different than this mRNA vaccine?

You had a stroke or something recently?

2747358, You sound unintelligent just like these athletes. They will take anything...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Sep-30-21 08:06 AM
a trainer or team doctor gives them to get back on the court and don't have to question it or "research" it at all. NFL players sound real silly when the effects of playing football on the brain are documented yet they still go out there and bash their brains in every week yet are concerned about a vaccine.

For regular people if you are a raw vegan, don't eat any kind processed foods, don't consume any alcohol, don't any kind of drugs over the counter or off the corner, and are legit conscious about what you put in your body I legit rock with you 100%.

But if you eat meat, drink alcohol, take any kind of drugs whether its from a pharmacy or some form of illegal drugs even marijuana that you have no idea where or how it was made, but are against the vaccine because you are "concerned about what you put in your body" you sound unintelligent and should really just stop talking.
2747363, You are all over the place
Posted by kayru99, Thu Sep-30-21 10:40 AM
So, people's concerns about what they put in their bodies has to meet *your* standard to be legit?

OK player.

2747275, Vaccines historically show any side effects within six weeks.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Sep-28-21 10:54 AM
People have been working on and testing mRNA vaccines for nearly two decades now.

There is no reason to believe that the COVID-19 mRNA vaccine is the host to some potential spooky side effect that will only rear its ugly head a decade from now. Because the entire history of vaccines, including mRNA vaccines, shows that is tremendously unlikely.

And this vaccine has been studied by more people than any vaccine in the history of vaccine development. Anyone suggesting this vaccine has a real shot at causing damaging long term side effects is doing so without any scientific foundation. Just a "hunch" or a "concern" or something rooting in personal feeling rather than reality.

Having COVID, however, we *know* can cause Long COVID. We *know* COVID has killed nearly 700k in America alone in under 20 months. We *know* that vaccines effectively fight the disease, making it much, much less likely that a new vaccine-resistant variant is created within a vaccinated person. Yes, there are things we don't know about the virus, but we do know it's absolutely more damaging than the vaccine for the health and safety of the general public.

When people say they're "worried about long term side effects of the vaccine," that's code for "I don't want to be told what to do, but I also can't defend not getting the vaccine in any reasonable or morally sound way." I'd like to think anyone who isn't getting vaccinated at this point due to "vaccine concerns" is just ignorant to the well-documented history of vaccines and the overwhelming odds that vaccines don't show long term side effects and the absolute scientific certainty that the virus is much worse for society than the vaccine... but odds are much higher that they know these things and just don't care.

I'm all for respecting the majority of people's "personal decisions"-- except when they have an effect on public health. Getting the vaccine is in the best interest of public health. And trying to find science that suggests otherwise is like trying to find science that denies climate change-- you'll find them on the fringe, raging against the overwhelming majority of facts, history, and collective knowledge.
2747279, yeah, i ain't even gonna respond point by point here, cuz there's a lot to
Posted by kayru99, Tue Sep-28-21 11:09 AM
debate...
But this part:

"Getting the vaccine is in the best interest of public health. And trying to find science that suggests otherwise is like trying to find science that denies climate change-- you'll find them on the fringe, raging against the overwhelming majority of facts, history, and collective knowledge."

Looks to be wrong too. Some current research into the viral load shedding of vaxxed and unvaxxed people *suggests* (again, nothing is PROVEN yet, cuz this is all new) that both groups can catch and spread the virus at similar loads. And some research suggests that Vaxxed folks do so with a HIGHER load.

Again, no one knows definitively, because the research is still ongoing.

However, it is KNOWN that vaxxed folks can still catch & spread the virus.

And THIS shit:

"When people say they're "worried about long term side effects of the vaccine," that's code for "I don't want to be told what to do, but I also can't defend not getting the vaccine in any reasonable or morally sound way." I'd like to think anyone who isn't getting vaccinated at this point due to "vaccine concerns" is just ignorant to the well-documented history of vaccines and the overwhelming odds that vaccines don't show long term side effects and the absolute scientific certainty that the virus is much worse for society than the vaccine... but odds are much higher that they know these things and just don't care."

Is just dumb-ass liberal mindreading/strawman shit that is always used when faced with arguments that can't logically be countered.
People, as people, have a right to a level of concern that you may not share about what they put in *their* bodies.
What *you* would "like to think" is completely irrelevant.
People are terrified, and seeing horrible shit on a scale that they've never conceived of b4, and you don't get to create a narrative about how they *should* respond.

Empathy isn't hard.
2747280, You're right. Empathy isn't hard.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Sep-28-21 11:16 AM
Some people choose the right to personal decisions over empathy for the public health. And those people don't have scientifically founded reasons to make those decisions.

There's no point in debating you on this, because your mind is made up. I just didn't want the point of "this is a personal decision" existing in the thread without presenting the counterpoint that in a public health crisis, personal decisions affect the entire public. So having scientifically founded reasons for not wanting the vaccine should be paramount.

Have a good day.
2747292, Empathy, schmemapthy.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Sep-28-21 02:19 PM
I have little empathy for antivaxxers. next to none, actually.

Particularly since being antivax and spreading antivax quackery is in itself a display of a lack of empathy for immunocompromised people.

>Again, no one knows definitively, because the research is
>still ongoing.
>
>However, it is KNOWN that vaxxed folks can still catch &
>spread the virus.

...at significantly lower rates.

greater vaccination numbers mean lower infection numbers.

which means lower everything else.

And the number of people with adverse reactions will still be far lower than that.

but carry on.

>And THIS shit:
>

>Is just dumb-ass liberal mindreading/strawman shit that is
>always used when faced with arguments that can't logically be
>countered.

>People, as people, have a right to a level of concern that you
>may not share about what they put in *their* bodies.
>What *you* would "like to think" is completely irrelevant.
>People are terrified, and seeing horrible shit on a scale that
>they've never conceived of b4, and you don't get to create a
>narrative about how they *should* respond.

You said all that, but then say that people were terrified and are seeing horrible shit on a scale that they've never conceived of before.

Big problem with that:

You know what we're not seeing on a scale that we've never conceived of before?

Adverse reactions to the vaccine that is slowing the spread of the horrific shit everyone is terrified of.
2747301, Wouldnt that be a reason TO get the vaccine?
Posted by Cenario, Tue Sep-28-21 03:23 PM
>People are terrified, and seeing horrible shit on a scale that they've never conceived of b4, and you don't get to create a narrative about how they *should* respond.

2747315, Apparently not for them. And millions of others
Posted by kayru99, Tue Sep-28-21 08:47 PM
2747354, Everything you've said in here is bullshit
Posted by Stadiq, Wed Sep-29-21 10:07 PM

As others have pointed out, the risk of COVID >>>> the vax.

That is literal actual fact.

You: "We don't know the long term effects!"

Someone above: "Vaccines typically show side effects within 6 months"

You: "I'm not going to respond point by point"

LOL LOL

You: "Its about empathy!"

Anyone with logical thought who isn't full of shit: "Then get the fucking vax!"

There's plenty of "empathetic" reasons to get the vaccine. To not spread COVID is a big one. The other, is to not end up in the fucking hospital contributing to the drain on our healthcare system.

And for these athletes in particular, to set a good example.

"Their body their choice!"

FOH

Do you know why seatbelts are the law?

Do you know why you can't smoke a cig indoors anymore?

Any idea why you can't fly buck ass naked on an airplane?

Have you considered all of the other vaccines that are mandatory for everything from international travel to going to fucking Kindergarten?

All of these things involve a choice involving your body that impact other people. So your premise here is bullshit.

That right wing, goal post moving shit isn't the play here.

We do things all the time to protect/consider other people- especially their health and safety.

And miss me with the "its too soon" or whatever. Guys like you will be saying that in 5...10 years.

Once you decide to not trust actual scientists and doctors because you read some shit online, you aren't going to be open to it at a certain date.

You have invented a boogie man in your own head about "potential long term" effects of a vaccine...while ignoring the actual real-life data on current on long-term risks of COVID, and the damage it is doing to healthcare....

and then you accused others of a strawman argument? FOH

2747365, it's factually true that studies are being done GLOBALLY
Posted by kayru99, Thu Sep-30-21 11:01 AM
to catalogue the long-term effects of this vax AND this virus.
because both are largely unknown quantities in a lot of ways.

This vax is different than other vaxes BECAUSE the disease is so new and unknown. It's also the quickest developed Vax in human history, AND the 1st mRNA vax, AND the 1st to be so relentlessly privatized out the gate.

That's not to mention pfizer & j&j's record of medical malfeasance.

There are objectively several why reasons anyone could be skeptical of the way the US, in particular, has managed COVID & the vaccines.

Miss me with the "guys like you" fuckshit, too.
Engage the actual arguments presented and not whatever goofshit you're repeating from MSNBC.

Re: other vaccines - I don't know why y'all keep mentioning them. People can be be skeptical of the COVID vaxxes, and be fine with vaccines in general (this is most people who are hesitant of the COVID vaxxes, btw)

And no the premise isn't bullshit - the COVID vaxxes don't prevent infection, dont prevent the spread of the virus, appear to wear off after 6 months or so, appears to be less effective than regular antibodies, and have varying side effects on different people of varying levels of severity, and no one knows why. That's not to mention their efficacy in fighting variants, or even if they make the spread of certain variants more likely.

For you, that level of risk is fine.

For a LOT of people - literally MILLIONS of Americans - it's not.

I get it. You don't have to.
But it's their bodies.

Also the analogy to seatbelts, drunk driving and smoking are shit analogies, because those all involve the right to use/consume *commercial* products.

and in the case of smoking, there's decades of research that proves that 2nd hand smoke is bad.

People who are skeptical of the COVID Vaxxes literally just want more research into their effects.
More data.
More science.
More empiricism.
You lot? NO DO IT NOW WE KNOW ENOUGH AFTER LESS THAN A YEAR CUZ PFIZER IS GOOD
Meanwhile we still don't know a lot about the actual *disease*

You can insult people all you want.

And they will continue to ignore the fuck out of you.
As they should.

*shruglife*

2747367, RE: the 1st mRNA vax
Posted by bentagain, Thu Sep-30-21 12:07 PM
That's not true.

I'll ASSume you mean an mRNA vax used in this large of a population
...but it's not even that new, and the COVID mRNA vax is not the first...

carry on.
2747368, Studies are done globally on all scientific discoveries...in perpetuity lol
Posted by auragin_boi, Thu Sep-30-21 12:16 PM
>to catalogue the long-term effects of this vax AND this
>virus.
>because both are largely unknown quantities in a lot of ways.

But one is immensely harmful and the other is literally designed to help against the harmful entity. They aren't equal and the fallacy here is you're trying to equate them.

>This vax is different than other vaxes BECAUSE the disease is
>so new and unknown. It's also the quickest developed Vax in
>human history, AND the 1st mRNA vax, AND the 1st to be so
>relentlessly privatized out the gate.

Yes, it's also the most studied in this short amount of time, the tech to create it has been around for 20 yrs or so and it was privatized to get all hands on deck for it's development BECUASE THERE'S A GLOBAL PANDEMIC GOING ON THAT'S KILLING MILLIONS.

>That's not to mention pfizer & j&j's record of medical
>malfeasance.

FDA approved Pfizer's vax...fast tracked it's review. Normally takes like 10-20 yrs but because there's so much evidence now based on the usage, was able to do so much faster. FDA. *Shrug*

>There are objectively several why reasons anyone could be
>skeptical of the way the US, in particular, has managed COVID
>& the vaccines.

While this might be true, the science is there to point toward effectiveness of the vaccine in a public health crisis. You literally put down liberal narratives but the administration that handled this pandemic in such a sh*tty way was overwhelmingly conservative. So your gripe should lie there.

>Miss me with the "guys like you" fuckshit, too.
>Engage the actual arguments presented and not whatever
>goofshit you're repeating from MSNBC.

>Re: other vaccines - I don't know why y'all keep mentioning
>them. People can be be skeptical of the COVID vaxxes, and be
>fine with vaccines in general (this is most people who are
>hesitant of the COVID vaxxes, btw)

It's literally dumb to let skepticism about a vaccine drive you to risk yours and others health vs a pandemic virus when there's evidence to the contrary staring you in your face. Empathy is seeing all the issues non-vaccinations are contributing to exponentially more than vaccination and deciding that, even though there's risk to getting the vaccine, there's currently LESS risk in it than contracting and spreading COVID which helps most of us.

>And no the premise isn't bullshit - the COVID vaxxes don't
>prevent infection, dont prevent the spread of the virus,
>appear to wear off after 6 months or so, appears to be less
>effective than regular antibodies, and have varying side
>effects on different people of varying levels of severity, and
>no one knows why. That's not to mention their efficacy in
>fighting variants, or even if they make the spread of certain
>variants more likely.

1) Most vaccines don't eliminate a risk, it decreases/minimizes it. It's a bullsh*t argument to expect the vaccine to prevent infection in the first place. That's speaking like a person who doesn't know how vaccines work.

2) Most vaccines don't prevents the spread of virus. They typically decrease the chances of spread. So again, speaking like a person who doesn't know how vaccines work.

3) Lots of vaccines wear off within 6-12 months. So again, speaking like a person who doesn't know how vaccines work.

4) There's actual research that states COVID anti-bodies wear off after about 3 months after contraction. So at that point, you can catch it again. Jonathan Issacs of the Magic said he's caught it TWICE. It's been in the US en mass for 18 months. And what's the point in bringing this up in the first place? COVID can kill/damage a person much more drastically than the vaccine can (as current data verifies). Are saying that people should be contracting COVID to fight it? Or that you'd feel much better with us injecting COVID based vaccines into people when the mortality rate with each variance is increasing and us not fully understanding a lot about this particular virus yet? We've had 20 yrs to study mRNA and less than 2 for this particular type of COVID strand (less for it's variants).

>For you, that level of risk is fine.
>
>For a LOT of people - literally MILLIONS of Americans - it's
>not.

Because they are making dumb choices. And it's ok to say, my fear is leading me to make a dumb choice.

>I get it. You don't have to.
>But it's their bodies.

No, it's not THEIR bodies. Not unless they work from home, home school their kids, take all precautions not to infect people (or be infected because they can cause mutations) and stay at home until they feel comfortable with the risk level of the solutions we are being provided by scientist and doctors. Otherwise it's OUR bodies because we have to live together in a society. You mentioned empathy earlier but don't require it of the people making decisions and excuse their selfishness because of their lack of willingness to do research and trust the numbers.

>Also the analogy to seatbelts, drunk driving and smoking are
>shit analogies, because those all involve the right to
>use/consume *commercial* products.

No, they are good analogies because those requirements allow you to consume those things. This requirement will allow people to participate in the things that now require the vaccine. Can't work in an office? Find a job working remote. Can't shop in a particular store? Have it delivered. People who choose to not get vaxxed have options. Catch COVID and unvaxxed, Doctor has a the right to turn you away if the hospital is overwhelmed because you're less likely to survive. They aren't being forced to vaxx. Which is why I don't get all of their crying about it.

>and in the case of smoking, there's decades of research that
>proves that 2nd hand smoke is bad.
>
>People who are skeptical of the COVID Vaxxes literally just
>want more research into their effects.
>More data.
>More science.
>More empiricism.
>You lot? NO DO IT NOW WE KNOW ENOUGH AFTER LESS THAN A YEAR
>CUZ PFIZER IS GOOD
>Meanwhile we still don't know a lot about the actual
>*disease*
>
>You can insult people all you want.
>
>And they will continue to ignore the fuck out of you.
>As they should.
>
>*shruglife*

It's their right to want more data. And it's the rest of ours to exclude them from certain facets of society until their desires are satisfied. Because ultimately, based on what we know today, THEY are the more unsafe of us.

*shruglife*
2747370, End all, be all, will be none after (c) Nas
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Sep-30-21 12:42 PM
https://tenor.com/view/karate-kid-body-bag-the-karate-kid-sarcastic-laugh-gif-10249931
2747232, “Contrarian without a cause”
Posted by DJR, Mon Sep-27-21 02:00 PM
http://twitter.com/hbryant42/status/1442225612278673410?s=21
2747236, Lawd. Lmao
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Mon Sep-27-21 02:39 PM
2747247, he will prolly end up getting vaccinated
Posted by Reeq, Mon Sep-27-21 07:19 PM
and his initial resistance will look even dumber and more arbitrary.

edit: actually he might not lol. dude loves to find excuses not to play games and this would be just another one. nets are terrified of criticizing him so theyll just take it on the chin i guess.

2747257, I wouldn’t be surprised if he is vaxxed
Posted by Stadiq, Mon Sep-27-21 09:35 PM

And doing this fake deep rebel shit for appearances.

Plus he never met a night off he didn’t like.

He’s gotta be looking at the schedule….shiiit
45-50 games off at least? When you account
for other cities….

If the Nets aren’t shopping him they are legit
morons.

How’s that going to work in the playoffs?

Contrarian without a cause is perfect.

2747248, nick wright doubles down on earlier kyrie trade scoop.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Sep-27-21 07:26 PM
https://twitter.com/getnickwright/status/1442495587945906184

original tweet:
https://twitter.com/getnickwright/status/1438188133162627074

kyrie response:
https://twitter.com/KyrieIrving/status/1438293418841554945

stephen a tried to swoop in and piggyback off nick wrights (without acknowledging him) and say that kd stepped in and nixed any kyrie trades. but then he did some shit where he backpedaled but doubledowned and bet hedged on both sides or some crazy shit like that. im not even gonna post any of that.

2747316, My fav part of all this is Fox News now LOVING these dumb players
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Wed Sep-29-21 06:42 AM
Bradley Beal and Kyrie Irving are now somehow heroes of Fox News and OAN. It's sad as fuck watching these players make fools of themselves.
2747334, When you’ve got Ted Cruz cosigning you, it’s time re-evaluate your life
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Sep-29-21 02:21 PM
No, I’m not linking the tweet.
2747340, ima link the tweet only for the stan van gundy reply.
Posted by Reeq, Wed Sep-29-21 03:16 PM
https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1443269646006767622

https://twitter.com/realStanVG/status/1443290669645238275
2747361, Ted Cruz gotta be the slimiest of all the slimy politicians.
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Thu Sep-30-21 10:07 AM
What a fucking hoe he is. If Ted Cruz ever co-signed anything in my life i would know im on the wrong side of the garbage fire.
2748029, Not really IMO but he's certainly amongst them nm
Posted by vik, Mon Oct-11-21 10:47 PM
2747546, This fake woke pussy is really digging in on his stance lmao...
Posted by guru0509, Mon Oct-04-21 03:48 PM
How much patience will the Nets owner display before he sits Kyrie down and says I'm not paying 18 million for half a season.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32337594/nets-kyrie-irving-lose-millions-according-nba-nbpa-agreement-salary-reduction-unvaccinated-players-miss-games-due-local-covid-19-vaccine-mandates

>
2747804, 'world b flat' (c)
Posted by Reeq, Fri Oct-08-21 03:45 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8clpNCXsAIe9si?format=jpg&name=large

whoever came up with that is a damn genius.
2748027, Kyrie is cancerous to his team and to the league
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Mon Oct-11-21 10:45 PM
2748085, I agree
Posted by Beezo, Tue Oct-12-21 10:46 AM
2748401, ^^^ oncological oculars
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Sat Oct-16-21 06:03 PM
2748079, Nets say all or nothing…
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Oct-12-21 10:12 AM
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1447940395665592326?s=20
2748083, Bout damn time
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Oct-12-21 10:23 AM
>https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1447940395665592326?s=20
2748086, Good. This is the right thing to do.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Oct-12-21 11:23 AM
2748135, good for them.
Posted by Reeq, Tue Oct-12-21 04:04 PM
on the low...they prolly got buy-in from kd and/or harden.
2748137, finally
Posted by Cenario, Tue Oct-12-21 05:27 PM
he lucky he still gets half his salary
2748099, Kyrie about jump off the edge of the Earth.
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Tue Oct-12-21 12:31 PM
Dude really about to end his whole career over a vaccine.
2748129, lol fuck this selfish cowardly pussy
Posted by guru0509, Tue Oct-12-21 03:03 PM

Most overrated player in then history of these boards

DJR won

>
2748141, btw barkley was proven 100% right (taking it full circle to the op vid).
Posted by Reeq, Tue Oct-12-21 07:59 PM
2748148, "challenging a perceived control of society"
Posted by RandomFact, Tue Oct-12-21 10:38 PM
Dumb fucker doesn't understand this is a one in one hundred year pandemic (possibly more frequent moving forward but that's another discussion) and EVERYONE is inconvenienced and must make sacrifices. Those inconveniences and sacrifices prioritize the greater societies best interests over the individual. Fuck this guy.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/264372/Kyrie-Irvings-Position-Not-Anti-Vaccine-Wants-To-Challenge-A-Perceived-Control-Of-Society

Kyrie Irving is not anti-vaccine and that his stance is that he is upset that people are losing their jobs due to vaccine mandates, multiple sources with direct knowledge of Irving's decision have told Shams Charania of The Athletic

"It’s a stance that Irving has explained to close teammates," writes Charania. "To him, this is about a grander fight than the one on the court and Irving is challenging a perceived control of society and people’s livelihood, according to sources with knowledge of Irving’s mindset. It is a decision that he believes he is capable to make given his current life dynamics."

Irving is currently ineligible to play for the Brooklyn Nets in home games and the team has decided that they'd prefer him not to play in any games until he's ready to play in all of them

“Kyrie wants to be a voice for the voiceless,” one source said.

Irving is slated to miss out on $16 million-plus in salary this season and also forgo a $186 million extension.

The rules in New York City are indefinite and there is no expectation of them being reversed, which would allow him to play.
2748150, shams/athletic carrying water for team kyrie.
Posted by Reeq, Tue Oct-12-21 11:23 PM
his 'stance' would be believable if he and people like his aunt tyki werent already on public record (and ig live video!) talking about his 'personal decision' with objections to the vaccine itself...and if kyrie wasnt on ig liking antivax posts and reposting antivax stories. if it was about people being fired over vaccine mandates then he would have clearly stated that.

i swear we have some weird binge/purge collective memory shit when it comes to the news/media nowadays. its like the last week or two didnt even happen and everyone forgot about it.
2748166, his aunt talking about "kyrie helping build the fucking franchise"
Posted by guru0509, Wed Oct-13-21 09:19 AM
so they need to grant his wishes lol

the levels of delusion are insane with this entire family.

2748190, how are you a voice for the voiceless but dont say shit
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Oct-13-21 07:00 PM
man im about to throw this nigga jersey out
2748195, ‘respect my privacy’ (c) him to the media early on
Posted by Reeq, Wed Oct-13-21 09:26 PM
this nigga been all over the place with this.

molly had a good point on first take. what about the true voiceless? the 700k dead? do they not matter to you?
2748197, And these fuckers aren't voiceless
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Oct-13-21 09:29 PM
If there's people out there that have "voices" these days, it's anti-vaxxers. And, you know, if anything, they need to stop talking.
2748212, THIS......RIGHT......HERE
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Thu Oct-14-21 06:58 AM
The "voices" he is supposedly fighting for are the loudest and most obnoxious
2748191, Nets withdraw extension offer to Kyrie
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Oct-13-21 07:01 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10014800-shams-kyrie-irving-will-no-longer-be-offered-contract-extension-by-nets

cant rely on him in any way shape or form. wont get the vaccine. taking rando weeks off during the year. he get hurt all the time anyway. cut bait.
2748196, them starting to take the hard line on kyrie
Posted by Reeq, Wed Oct-13-21 09:28 PM
has me thinking kd and/or harden are kinda fed up at this point too.
2748207, Massively depressing. Huge waste of talent.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Oct-14-21 12:17 AM
Still hoping he changes his mind… but I’m really, really doubting it happens.
2748208, When healthy, a top 15 guy easy. This is depressing.
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Oct-14-21 12:45 AM
2748210, arguably top 10, hopefully he takes a note from Simmons and gets his...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Oct-14-21 01:38 AM
head right
2748224, yea in 2015/16
Posted by guru0509, Thu Oct-14-21 10:03 AM
>

lol @ when healthy. he has never been healthy. ever.
2748211, Kyrie’s IG Live from last night,
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Oct-14-21 06:38 AM
https://www.netsdaily.com/2021/10/14/22725803/kyrie-irving-on-ig-doing-whats-best-for-me-in-refusal-to-get-vaccine-expresses-concerns-on-mandates
2748213, He's trying switch to the mandate argument
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Thu Oct-14-21 07:10 AM
because so many players, including Andrew Wiggins, decided to get the vaccine. He's the type of guy to change his argument each week to see what sticks. He will be on Fox News in no time.
2748214, Everything about that was a mess
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Oct-14-21 07:15 AM
Kyrie talked a lot and said a whole lot of nothing
Starbury Vaseline eating ass in there co-signing that dumb shit
Duke MBB dropping the “talk that shit” emoji pack in there. Somebody lost a Cush job off of that this morning

This whole episode is just embarrassing and damaging to him in a way it really didn’t have to. Does he not have anyone in his life that can just grab him by the collar and shake some sense into him. Or did he get this kooky shit from them
2748222, yup. seems like "I made a choice" is 95% of his defense
Posted by Nodima, Thu Oct-14-21 09:58 AM
Kyrie really needs to shut up and not dribble

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
2748404, LMAO!
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Sat Oct-16-21 09:01 PM
>Kyrie really needs to shut up and not dribble
2748215, Kyrie has always been a selfish asshole
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Oct-14-21 08:38 AM
When he had his surgery scheduled and didn’t attend game 7 of the ECF when he was with the Celtics people on here were quick to defend him.

I really never understood how people could defend a player not willing to support his teammates in a conference championship game 7. Was it really necessary to schedule it on that day?

It was a sign of things to come.

Fans have been praising players “taking control” these last few years but now I think we are seeing players going overboard with some of these moves.

All that said….

I really don’t know how I feel about forcing people to get the vax or lose their job.

and I’m vaccinated.

2748217, OKP Celtics fans were right about this guy lol
Posted by guru0509, Thu Oct-14-21 09:01 AM
>

The writing was on the wall when they got better after Kyrie left 🤦🏽‍♂️
2748327, folks were talking bout this before Boston, but people blamed Bron
Posted by Castro, Fri Oct-15-21 01:58 PM
2748375, ^^^^ Exactly
Posted by soulfunk, Sat Oct-16-21 10:53 AM
2748232, I support his choice…to stay home
Posted by bentagain, Thu Oct-14-21 12:26 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/27/us/kareem-abdul-jabbar-nba-vaccines-spt-trnd/index.html

That’s his right to make that choice
Stay home.
2748233, he might be fucking up the bag now...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Oct-14-21 12:41 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nets-wont-offer-kyrie-irving-186-m-extension-amid-vaccine-saga-222726520.html
2748240, its gonna be funny when kyrie demands to be traded from the nets.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Oct-14-21 02:54 PM
prolly after we get solid sourcing that kd/harden were okay with benching him til he got vaccinated.

dude is just one of those niggas that requires some degree of dysfunction to dysfunction.
2748241, he may not have to "demand"
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Oct-14-21 03:06 PM
2748242, The Nets would be happy to trade if they could get any value for him
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Oct-14-21 03:37 PM

>prolly after we get solid sourcing that kd/harden were okay with benching
>him til he got vaccinated.

There is 0% chance that the Nets didn't get KD's blessing before they decided to bench Kyrie until he was vaccinated. Rumors were before all of this the team want to look into trading him for Simmons, but KD put the kibosh on it. The front office doesn't sneeze unless KD thinks it's okay.
2748243, Regarding any potential trades
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Oct-14-21 03:40 PM
does Kyrie hold some leverage in terms of where he gets traded since he can deny signing an extension to which ever team the Nets want to trade him to?
2748251, where does he go?
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Oct-14-21 07:17 PM
2748258, I don't know what trade can happen.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Oct-14-21 07:51 PM
He can't be traded to GS, to the Knicks, to Toronto. Neither LA team really wants him-- even if the Clippers did, the Nets don't want Bledsoe and Morris or some bullshit deal like that for Kyrie.

Milwaukee doesn't want him, Utah doesn't want him, Atlanta doesn't want him, Phoenix doesn't want him, Denver doesn't want him, Memphis doesn't want him. Miami almost certainly doesn't want him. Philly should want him, but they probably won't for the distraction (and I can't blame them). Can't imagine Dallas wants him-- or, if they do, I don't think they have the assets necessary to get him. Boston... lol.

And really, any of those teams in the 5 seed-to-play in range probably don't want to make the move. Like, Portland won't trade Dame for him (especially with Ky on an expiring deal). Who would the Pacers trade-- Myles Turner and change? Myles doesn't really fit what the Nets want to do. The Bulls have restrictions on DeRozan and Lonzo til mid-December... and I can't imagine they'd wanna trade for Kyrie unless the season starts as a full-blown disaster.

So... he's not going to a contender. What non-contender wants to sign Kyrie when he won't sign an extension first?

It's a bad situation. Brooklyn should really just wait and try to convince him to vaccinate. That's by far the best option for them.

2748326, I actually think Kyrie gets vaccinated fairly soon.
Posted by Vex_id, Fri Oct-15-21 01:52 PM
Even on his IG Live he distanced himself from the notion that he would allow the vaccine mandate to stop him from performing his craft. I think he likely changes course soon, gets vaccinated, and is on the court sooner than later.

-->
2748332, he didnt take any hardline stances & left himself plenty of wiggle room.
Posted by Reeq, Fri Oct-15-21 02:51 PM
basically the only thing he really committed to was not retiring lol.

i hope he does an about face and gets the jab just so his new found right wing antivax friends can cry in their bowls of ivermectin.
2748339, he really did - he was kinda all over the place
Posted by Vex_id, Fri Oct-15-21 03:38 PM
>basically the only thing he really committed to was not
>retiring lol.

Once he pivoted from offering any substantive objection to the vaccine itself - to stating that he's not anti-vaxx but just is concerned about people losing their jobs due to the mandates - to me it was clear that he was shifting the narrative and just hunting for an angle that can get him back on the court while not looking like he's backtracking on anything.

Unlike Jonathan Isaac, who actually offered a well-reasoned argument as to why he didn't want to get vaccinated (citing natural immunity which we now know offers robust, broad protection) - Kyrie just left us all guessing, and given the fact that he was re-tweeting the most outlandish theories about vaccines changing dna and turning people into nanobots, we could only speculate as to what his actual stance was.

>i hope he does an about face and gets the jab just so his new
>found right wing antivax friends can cry in their bowls of
>ivermectin.

lol. One of the most frustrating aspects of this whole pandemic is how politically charged it's become - to where you've got clowns like Ted Cruz "standing with Kyrie" to try and score some cheap political points. Also frustrating is how some anti-vaxx voices are out there promoting hydroxychloroquine, ivermectin, and monoclonal antibodies (lab-made proteins) - but denying the efficacy and relative safety of the vaccines - all while citing distrust for big pharma as if ivermectin/monoclonals/hydroxy aren't pharmaceutical creations themselves lol.

While I am against most of these mandates (but am also a proponent of the vaccines) - I think the most dangerous disinfo out there is convincing people that the vaccines are more of a proximate danger to your health than actual covid-19 infection - which is banans.

-->
2748376, Jonathan Isaac isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer either, he just likes...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Oct-16-21 11:04 AM
attention...

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/07/31/magic-jonathan-isaac-stands-during-anthem-black-lives-matter

he needs to focus on his game and help his team get better...
2748377, He’s got 186 million reasons to
Posted by guru0509, Sat Oct-16-21 11:11 AM
I think the nets not offering him an extension and the possibility of having to finish his career in some redneck city will scare him into getting the jab and re-earning the trust of Joe Tsai who apparently didn’t want Kyrie to begin with but was convinced by Sean Marks)

His days as a Net are numbered though, Chinese billionaires will not stand for a part time employee (which he has been for 3 years now)

>basically the only thing he really committed to was not
>retiring lol.
>
>i hope he does an about face and gets the jab just so his new
>found right wing antivax friends can cry in their bowls of
>ivermectin.
2748397, what's his zodiac sign? next team gonna be the Pittsburgh Pisces.
Posted by poetx, Sat Oct-16-21 05:18 PM
what y'all don't know is that after the success of the Uncle Drew commercials and movies, somebody asked kyrie about starring in a remake of The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh.

problem is, he read the script, and was like, yeah. i want this. but in real life.

so he's forcing the Nets to trade him to a squad where they all got the same zodiac sign. last name irving (erving?). it's fate.

their team name is gonna be Seattle Sage or some shit. because sage can be the plant, which purifies the garden, and also a wise person with wisdom.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad
2765185, damn kyrie fucked up the nike bag.
Posted by Reeq, Fri May-13-22 10:32 AM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1525134092152578050
2765186, A voice for the voiceless.
Posted by Ryan M, Fri May-13-22 10:52 AM
2765187, That seems a bit presumptive on ESPN's part
Posted by Numba_33, Fri May-13-22 10:54 AM
to release that info.
2765221, I'd bet money Nike leaked that info to ESPN.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri May-13-22 08:33 PM
To try to pressure Kyrie into taking a lesser contract. I doubt Nike wants to completely leave the Kyrie brand, because the shoes are dynamite... but I also have zero doubt that they don't want to pay him the same money they've been paying him because, well, he's a weirdo, lol.
2765223, anybody remember when espn broke the avenatti extortion story?
Posted by Reeq, Fri May-13-22 08:50 PM
no doubt these leaks come straight outta beaverton.
2765244, Can’t he just point to the sales though?
Posted by pretentious username, Fri May-13-22 11:19 PM
Is Nike really gonna risk another brand capitalizing on that success? Maybe they’re relationship is that bad, but idk. Who is really selling for them besides Bron and Kyrie? Do Giannis or KD’s line even sell well?
2765448, Now that they came to terms with Vanessa Bryant to continue
Posted by soulfunk, Mon May-16-22 12:39 PM
making Kobe's, those joints are DEFINITELY going to sell. More NBA players are wearing some type of Kobe's than any other shoe, and the demand is crazy. Meanwhile, on court basketball shoe sales are WAY down.
2765190, good drop him and sign Ja
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri May-13-22 12:12 PM
2793628, sheesh.
Posted by .Monkeynuts., Tue Jun-13-23 07:18 AM
2772042, guess it was only a matter of time before he posted alex jones.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Sep-15-22 04:32 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/TommyBeer/status/1570509908940058628
2772045, Impossible to defend, of course.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Sep-15-22 06:48 PM
Never fails to amaze how a guy who is thoughtful and progressive on some social issues is such an absolute fucking thoughtless numbskull on so many other things. Such a goddamn shame.
2772044, “He went to Duke, he’s smart!” 😒
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Thu Sep-15-22 05:47 PM
2782147, *giggles*
Posted by Reeq, Fri Feb-03-23 05:45 PM
2793548, kyrie irving signs new shoe deal with anta.
Posted by .Monkeynuts., Mon Jun-12-23 05:41 PM
https://www.si.com/fannation/sneakers/news/kyrie-irving-signs-new-sneaker-deal-with-anta

when kyrie got dropped by nike...jaylen brown criticized nike for taking a stance with kyrie but benefiting from inhumane labor practices.

now kyrie has signed with chinese apparel company anta sports...with ties to the ccp and *direct* usage of labor from enslaved uyghur muslims.
https://www.business-humanrights.org/en/latest-news/chinese-company-anta-to-quit-bci-will-continue-to-use-cotton-from-xinjiang/

peculiar choice by such a vocal muslim human rights activist. i know a lot of folks do business with entities that have some dirt under their nails...but this is a lil too on the nose.

2794925, shams: kyrie officially signs 5 year deal with anta.
Posted by .Monkeynuts., Tue Jul-11-23 09:13 PM
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1678935487912747011

gonna be kinda hard to sell that muslim activist image when you dont have any issue with forced labor concentration camps for muslims.
2794927, pockets STRAIGHT…
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Jul-11-23 09:33 PM
>https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1678935487912747011
>
>gonna be kinda hard to sell that muslim activist image when
>you dont have any issue with forced labor concentration camps
>for muslims.
>