Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectlol... I mean, yeah. it is.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2726223&mesg_id=2729836
2729836, lol... I mean, yeah. it is.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jan-13-21 07:02 PM
Michigan's been incredible. I'm not underselling that. But they're nearly five AdjEM points behind Gonzaga and Baylor on KenPom. Like, the divide between Kansas and Michigan is the divide between Michigan and Zags/Baylor.

Do I think Michigan is one of a couple teams that could get hot at the right time and knock one of these two giants off? Sure. Anything can happen. 2015 UK is one of the best teams of the last two decades, and they didn't win the title. Iowa, Michigan, Villanova, Texas, *maybe* Illinois-- they've got the pieces if everything falls their way.

But I'd potentially put Gonzaga and Baylor this year right in the mix of my top 10 best teams of the 2000s. And I think the Zags have a talent-experience combo advantage over basically every team in the country this year. Baylor has played limited competition, so maybe they seem better than they are right now, I'm open to them falling off... but the Zags? Nah. They smooshed Kansas, smooshed Iowa, smooshed UVA. Went against full strength WVU, lost Suggs for a half... and still won.

So... yeah. If you gave me Zags vs. the field? Look, I *always* take the field, because anything can happen. Especially with COVID. But, like... I'd think about it this year way longer than most years. Full health Zags are *monsters* this year. One of the most fun teams in ages-- since 2018 Villanova at least, and maybe since 2015 UK.

But I'll re-emphasize in an edit: ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE, LONG SEASON, ETC. So me being flip about "give Gonzaga the title" isn't indicative of "Michigan cannot win the title." They were in the list of teams above mentioned. Putting this in the edit to avoid jinxing my ability to watch a full season of the healthy Zags, lol.