Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI guess the broad argument would be...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2725295&mesg_id=2725553
2725553, I guess the broad argument would be...
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Nov-18-20 01:49 PM
... big men who can't shoot are pretty darn replaceable in the league today, and while Carter's shown in the past the potential to shoot, it hasn't happened yet in the league. Combine that with his injuries, and he may just think, "Carter's an asset right now because he's still young, but I think replacing him with Random Big Man X doesn't make a huge difference in our efficiency on either end." And while I still like Carter's upside if he can stay healthy, that line of logic is totally reasonable.

Meanwhile, if he thinks Ball is the highest upside player in the draft (and I'd actually agree with him on that tbh), and he thinks whoever he could get at 4 just wouldn't have the same upside (and while I'm not sure I *totally* agree there, a lot of people do think that)... then it makes sense.

I also tend to think, while Wiseman is a better prospect than Wendell, the flaws in his game are basically the same-- he can't defend the perimeter, and the shooting is far more potential than reality. I don't know if a team should give the equivalent of two Top 5 picks away to move up two spots for an upgrade at true center, the most increasingly irrelevant (or, if you don't like that wording, increasingly replaceable) position in the NBA.

If *I* were the Bulls, I'd keep Carter and draft Isaac Okoro with the 4th pick-- I like Okoro's upside more than Wiseman's, and I think his floor is significantly higher than Ball's. I think a guy whose pitch is "the next Andre Iguodala" is something the Bulls could really use, so I wouldn't pursue Ball or Wiseman unless they totally fall into my lap. But that's just me.