Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectwow @ what the FA chair said. god damn
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2725032&mesg_id=2725088
2725088, wow @ what the FA chair said. god damn
Posted by smutsboy, Tue Nov-10-20 12:40 PM
https://theathletic.com/news/greg-clarke-fa-chairman-resigns

Greg Clarke to quit as FA chairman

November 10, 2020Updated 12:31 PM EST

Greg Clarke has resigned from his role as Football Association chairman, reports Matt Slater.

Clarke was roundly criticised for using the word “coloured” before a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee on Tuesday, as well as saying that black and South Asian people had “different career interests” from each other and suggesting that being gay was a “life choice”.

Clarke, chairman of the FA since 2016, apologised for his comments. But that has not proved enough and he now intends to stand down both from his position with the FA and his role as Britain’s Fifa vice-president.

In a statement published on Tuesday evening, Clarke said: “My unacceptable words in front of Parliament were a disservice to our game and to those who watch, play, referee and administer it. This has crystallised my resolve to move on.”
What did Clarke say?

In front of MPs, Clarke said: “If I look at what happens to high-profile female footballers, to high-profile coloured footballers, and the abuse they take on social media....social media is a free-for-all.”

Clarke was later interrupted by Kevin Brennan MP, who pointed out the word he had used. “If I said it I deeply apologise,” Clarke said. “I am a product of working overseas, where I was required to use the phrase people of colour. Sometimes I trip over my words.”

Clarke also remarked: “If you go to the IT department at the FA there’s a lot more South Asians than there are Afro Caribbeans. They have different career interests.” Later in his appearance before MPs he described being gay as “a life choice”.

What was the reaction?

Kick It Out executive chair Sanjay Bhandari released a statement in which he said he was “extremely disappointed to see Greg Clarke's comments today.”

Bhandari added: “His use of outdated language to describe black and Asian people as 'coloured' is from decades ago and should remain consigned to the dustbin of history.”

Piara Powar, the Executive Director of the Football Against Racism in Europe (FARE) network, told The Athletic he was “not sure should be speaking on behalf of The FA about diversity issues.”

“He has many interesting things to say, but some of his analysis as to what is happening and why falls short.

“Those two references are insulting. We don’t refer to black people or people of colour as ‘coloured’. And as for the absurd stereotype that Asians belong in the IT department, it unravels most of his previous positive noises.”

Maria Munir, Associate Director of Community Engagement, Stonewall said: “The language we use matters, which is why it’s a shame Greg Clarke used such a harmful phrase like ‘life choice’ to describe being gay.”

What happens next?

Peter McCormick will step into the role as interim FA Chairman with immediate effect.

In a short statement the FA said: “The FA Board will begin the process of identifying and appointing a new chair in due course.”

In a statement to announce his departure, Clarke said: “I am deeply saddened that I have offended those diverse communities in football that I and others worked so hard to include.

“I would like to thank my friends and colleagues in the game for the wisdom and counsel they have shared over the years and resign from the FA with immediate effect.”