Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectA crafty wing scorer. I wouldn't bet against him.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2724377&mesg_id=2725394
2725394, A crafty wing scorer. I wouldn't bet against him.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Nov-16-20 12:08 PM
He comes from a basketball family (his brother, Matt, was an NCAA National Champion for some school or another). He weighed 270 in high school and decided on a lark that he'd start playing basketball in HS senior year. In the, like, 4 years since, he's lost like 70 pounds. Played one JuCo year and dominated... and was the SEC Player of the Year his second year of college. There's a good chance that the dude just has It when it comes to the game.

He's not an athlete, and he's definitely a high volume guy and not a high efficiency guy... but he's got terrific shooting range, he's a good shooter, he's crafty at creating separation, and he's got great strength when driving downhill that I think will translate next level.

I don't think he's a lock to get drafted because, well, he was a nobody HS prospect-turned-JuCo, so scouts haven't seen as much of him over the years, and the sub-average NBA athleticism and the not-great defense will likely mean teams won't bet on him. I can't really blame them... but when you're already digging through marginal NBA talent toward the end of the second, and you see a bulldog like Jones? I wouldn't bet against him. Kinda hoping he goes undrafted and gets a deal to come off the bench for a playoff level team looking for depth-- then you'll get to see what he does sooner rather than later imo.