Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectEasily worth a second round flier. Elite shooter, secondary playmaker.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2724377&mesg_id=2725391
2725391, Easily worth a second round flier. Elite shooter, secondary playmaker.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Nov-16-20 11:52 AM
Definitely an argument to be made that Merrill is the best shooter in the class. Deep, midrange, you name it. He also more or less ran point at Utah State, and while he's obviously not fast enough or athletic enough to really do that in the NBA full time at a high level, I think he's a great second round pickup for those looking for secondary playmakers or guys who will make the savvy extra pass in a half court set.

Not a good defender at all, but good positional size, so that could make up for it-- plus he's smart enough that I bet he could become a non-liability as a team defender. Also not an athlete... but I mean, that's obvious, because a 6'5 guy who's the best shooter in the class and a strong high IQ playmaker would be a lotto pick in this draft if he was. I think he's more a catch-and-shoot, or maybe a pump-fake-one-dribble-shoot kinda guy in the NBA, but if you find that guy reliably in the second round? That's value. I definitely heard him comparing himself to Duncan Robinson in interviews, and I think that's a smart sales pitch-- he may not be able to defend, but he can supernova your offense.

Ultimately, you take him for the shooting. I think he's projected mid-to-late-mid-second, but I'd take him in the 30s. Very few guys that can give you this level of pure shooting.