Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectHUGE value in the 2nd imo. I'd consider taking him first round.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2724377&mesg_id=2725251
2725251, HUGE value in the 2nd imo. I'd consider taking him first round.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Nov-14-20 03:05 PM
He's one of the best in the draft at creating his own shot. Potentially *the* best, and I realize what a crazy sounding statement that is for a guy projected second round, but it's true. Really, really gifted scorer. Good handles, great at creating separation. Terrific at the rim and willing to drive, but also able to hit Damian Lillard range 3s. Great catch-and-shoot shooter (41% on a massive sample in college), but since he was his team's entire offense, he also showed he can hit off-balance 3s, 3s on the move, etc. Has a nice pull-up midrange game too. Really nothing on offense he can't do.

I've heard three knocks against him, and I'll happily counter all three:

1. "Weak competition." Undeniably true... but that was true for Lillard and Curry too. Like, if a guy has game, he has game. Dude is gifted and he's tough on offense. Sure, it may take him a bit to adjust... or it may not. I think the guy is an NBA scorer.

2. "Forces shots." I mean, yeah, but he had to carry the offense, which meant taking contested shots now and again. I don't really see this as a real problem in the NBA, where he'd be playing more of a role.

3. "Bad defender." This is undeniably true also, but it's hard to tell whether it's just because he had to do everything on offense every game. He's got the tools and athleticism to be at worst an average NBA defender.

It seems like he's projected mid-second, which is crazy to me. I'd easily take him above Mannion, above Winston, above Pritchard, and I'd consider him above Terry. Even if he's never a starter, he could be a deadly sixth man scoring type. I saw a Marcus Thornton comparison, and that's not bad, really. There might be growing pains, but he's also a prime candidate to be the second round breakout guy that scores 14+ PPG as a rookie and people ask "how did he fall so low?"