Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectHis agility has improved a lot. I think he can play a bench role.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2724377&mesg_id=2725220
2725220, His agility has improved a lot. I think he can play a bench role.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Nov-14-20 12:59 AM
Like, if guys like Omer Asik stuck for a decade, he can stick. He's a better rebounder and rim protector than Asik too. He's also, importantly for the NBA, pretty elite in the pick-and-roll, because his screens are monstrous and he's tough to stop on the slip because he's a little quicker than people would think.

The big problem is the free throw shooting. It's sooooo bad. He would be the worst free throw shooter in the league by a lot on Day 1, and if I were playing against him, I'd intentionally hack him until he can prove he can make 55+% from the line minimum. In 4 seasons at Kansas, he shot 42% from the stripe. ROUGH.

Other mild concerns: he's not a good passer. His only offense is bully ball, and while he'll still be physically imposing even at the next level, it won't be nearly as effective. Dribbling is a non-starter-- he's good for one or two bounces and up. He also, of course, is the sort of guy who would show up at Kansas weighing 290 or something, so y'know, that could definitely be an issue going forward.

But I think, assuming he can shoot 55+% from the stripe, he can be an effective off-the-bench rim protector and paint bully for 15-20 MPG. And if he can really solidify that role, he could play it for a decade plus. (But that 55+% is a *big* if imo.)