Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectDiet Coke Montrezl Harrell. I have questions.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2724377&mesg_id=2724591
2724591, Diet Coke Montrezl Harrell. I have questions.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Oct-28-20 04:11 PM
Like, yes, he'll be drafted pretty high on potential. He's probably the only guy in the draft who could *truly* defend 1-5 in theory-- guys like Okongwu and Okoro come close, but Achiuwa has that perfect combo of the right length, size, strength, athleticism, and motor. He's also a really good rim protector, which would give him real value in small ball lineups, and he's obviously got the tools to be a terrific rim runner.

But man, I've seen him a lot from HS on, and I just don't think he has *any* skill or IQ on the offensive side of the ball. He's a bad passer. He takes bad shots-- which sucks because he can't shoot. He constantly goes into traffic and just tries to bulldoze people, which, even with his size and athleticism, simply won't work enough in the NBA. He's the absolute prototype try-hard bamma, but he also has some dum-dum in him. Like, say what you will about Trez, but at least he knows he's not a pick-and-pop guy, and he knows he's not secretly a 3. Achiuwa gives me those vibes.

He's also just not consistent enough on defense-- I know that's nitpicking because he's so young... but Okoro and Okongwu are both young too, but they have high IQ on defense in addition to strength and ability, and even if neither of them can really shoot either, (a) the shots look better than Achiuwa's, and (b) they can handle, pass, and make the right play on offense way better.

Right system and right staff, the tools are there. I can't imagine him going later than 20... but I'd truthfully wait until the 25-30 range. He'll almost certainly stick because he's a try hard dude with an NBA body, but he's Just A Guy unless he has an uptick in skill or IQ.