Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectA guy who will go higher than he should due to crazy upside.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2724377&mesg_id=2724508
2724508, A guy who will go higher than he should due to crazy upside.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Oct-28-20 12:44 AM
I'm not saying he shouldn't go high-- I'm just saying he's not there today. Like, if you took last season in a bubble and said he'd be a top 10 pick in any draft, even one as weak as this one, I'd say you were nuts. He currently can't shoot, can't do much on offense away from the rim without coughing up turnovers, can't switch on defense.

That said, he's 6'8 with a nearly 7 foot wingspan and an insanely wide frame that can take on more muscle-- even though he's already really strong. While he's very turnover prone today, he's got good handles and decent passing for someone his size and age. He's not a chucker, and he's happy to play a role and play it well. His 32% from 3 and 84% from FT suggest he could absolutely be a PnR asset, both at rim-running and at the pick-and-pop. Like, some of the things I said about Okoro's upside? Add height, wingspan, strength, and a better shot, and that's Williams.

Williams is just way more raw today than Okoro. So the floor is way lower than Okoro's. But in this draft, if you have a pick between, say, 8 and 14? I can't imagine *not* taking a guy like Williams who has star upside, even if he also has a floor that's something like "goonish unrefined small ball defender who does 6 and 5."