Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectPotential to be the next Iguodala. I'd reach for him, personally.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2724377&mesg_id=2724432
2724432, Potential to be the next Iguodala. I'd reach for him, personally.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Oct-27-20 02:26 PM
His range of possible draft positions is something like 5-9... but I'd strongly consider in this draft reaching for him as high as 3. He's one of my favorite prospects in the draft.

The best defender in the draft, first of all. Can easily defend 1-4, thanks to terrific strength, speed in all directions, and intelligence. Dude knows exactly where to be, how to disrupt, how to communicate. He also plays hard, high motor at all times.

On offense, he's got potential to be the secondary creator on the floor in the NBA. He's got good handles for a wing, and he's a really great passer for a wing. He was the best finisher of any wing in this draft too, so he has touch around the rim.

The shot is the only downside, as it was inconsistent last year... but we're in a league right where we've seen guys like Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler be undervalued in the draft because they couldn't really shoot, but then, because they were driven, hard-working dudes, they became good shooters and ultimately franchise players.

I don't think Okoro's upside matches either of those guys... but if you told me he'd definitely shoot the league average from 3, I'd tell you he's an Iguodala type, the sort of guy who, if not a multi-year ASG type, at least starts for winning teams and makes a couple of All-Defense teams, maybe even an ASG squeezed in there. And he's just such a hard worker and such a high IQ player. I really like his chances-- so I'd reach, especially in a draft where so many of the high upside players have low floors.

Like, I think Okoro's worst case scenario is something like "a bigger Tony Allen with better playmaking" or "a bigger but slightly less skilled Marcus Smart." Even in the worst case, I think he should start, play good wing defense, and help teams win.