Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectLomachenko vs Lopez this Saturday 10/17/20 on ESPN if wanna see
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2723579
2723579, Lomachenko vs Lopez this Saturday 10/17/20 on ESPN if wanna see
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Thu Oct-15-20 12:53 PM
a truly good boxing match.

Do NOT say I didn't give you a heads up!

If you're already planning to watch, who are you picking?

For those who don't know...

Vasyl Lomachenko is considered by many to be top p4p fighter in the sport. Double Olympic Gold medalist with an incredible amateur record of 396-1. 3 division champion. Made 4 opponents in a row quit on their stools. He's actually too small for Lightweight, but he still manages to pressure his opponents mentally and ends up pushing them back even with size and height disadvantages. Pretty undeniable that he's a rare talent.

Teofimo Lopez is the brash young guy who's KO'ing some really good opponents. He actually won his belt with a devastating stoppage of the then champ, Commey. He's an entertainer and shit talker, but he's been backing it up. He's said for ages, that he wanted the Lomachenko fight. Loma told him to get a belt, b/c Loma's goal is undisputed. Luckily, they're both under the same promotional banner, so the fight is being made.

ESPN is saying it's for "undisputed." I'm putting that in quotations, because Lomachenko was given the "franchise" version of the WBC belt. That caused him to be able to avoid fighting his mandatory in Devin Haney, so some don't truly consider this an undisputed matchup until the winner fights Haney. At any rate, this is still promises to be one hell of a fight.

The build up has been good. 2 "Blood, Sweat, & Tears" episodes and the press conference was yesterday. All on ESPN.
2723591, Blood Sweat & Tears pt. 1
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Thu Oct-15-20 01:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqo9K6pTKOM
2723593, Blood Sweat & Tears pt. 2
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Thu Oct-15-20 01:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSYAoZAyvB4
2723594, Final Press Conference
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Thu Oct-15-20 01:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlVBAf-0t6I
2723614, This should be explosive; can't wait.
Posted by Vex_id, Thu Oct-15-20 05:27 PM

-->
2723660, Word. It's one of those that's 100% sure to be exciting.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Fri Oct-16-20 11:12 AM
Loma never has boring fights imo. Him in there with Lopez tho? Sheesh. Can't wait.
2723669, I got Loma
Posted by bentagain, Fri Oct-16-20 02:37 PM
I think his superior craft carries the day in the end

But he will go down

Lopez has that magic in the hands Power

Loma can’t run forever, he will get touched and a W in the end

Fight of the year the second it was signed

Here for this.
2723677, I totally understand why.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Fri Oct-16-20 05:54 PM
Most of the people I've seen making an actual pick have picked Loma. Those rooting for Lopez are mostly saying just that... that they're ROOTING for him, not picking him lol.

>I think his superior craft carries the day in the end
>
>But he will go down
>
>Lopez has that magic in the hands Power

That's the only thing right there. I'm wondering if he'll get up if he goes down from a Lopez shot. One thing I've seen a lot of people talking about is Linares dropping him with a right. But what also stood out to me was Loma thanked Linares after that fight for "teaching him that lesson" so I kinda doubt Loma walks himself into a right hand like that ever again. It'll really shock me if he does. Lopez is quick tho and just might be able to make something happen. On top of that, Loma claims this will be the best performance of his career.

>Loma can’t run forever, he will get touched and a W in the
>end

Yeah, if it goes the distance, I agree that Lopez will be thoroughly broken down and deconstructed. Loma's engine is unreal. He also said he wants to take Teo into deep water and hold him down "without air". Teo might eff around and get stopped late.

Loma has been hit more since moving to Lightweight. Some say he's losing a step due to age while he himself says it's because of height and reach disadvantages. At the weigh-in, I noticed he and Teo are about the same height although Teo has about a 3 in. reach advantage.

>Fight of the year the second it was signed

Real talk.

Given all the factors involved, I'm having trouble sticking with a pick.

2723731, Loma wins.
Posted by Castro, Sat Oct-17-20 05:12 PM
I don't think Teo is ready and I don't see Loma being fooled into walking into a wound up hook.

If Teo comes in and has combinations prepared to exploit openings he has seen in Loma's defense, then he has a chance, but he can't come in and fight like he's fought everyone else. He has to bring something new to beat someone on Loma's level.
2723743, I hope Teo’s dad did more homework than he did in that episode
Posted by Heinz, Sat Oct-17-20 08:03 PM
with how be talks I wouldn’t be surprised

----------

IG @erichrigonan
2723753, Lol, yeah when he said "that pity pat stuff ain't gon work on my son"
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Oct-17-20 10:27 PM
I was like if that's all he sees when he watches Loma box, this could be a long night for Teo.
2723737, Excited for this one
Posted by Hitokiri, Sat Oct-17-20 06:29 PM
Expecting Loma to win, but it should be a good one
2723749, Edgar Berlanga from Brooklyn.
Posted by allStah, Sat Oct-17-20 09:28 PM
Good lord who is this kid??

His KO power is insane. I know he is a Super Middleweight, but I’m getting MikeTyson vibes from him for some reason.

I thought that was a premature stoppage at first, then I saw dudes face. After just one round, he had a huge gash above his eye, and the side of his face was bruised.

That all came from the first round!
2723752, These dudes throwing hands!
Posted by Dstl1, Sat Oct-17-20 10:10 PM
2723754, Boxing with the instant replay ruling in the co-main event
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Oct-17-20 10:29 PM
Nice
2723757, Loma's low output is giving Lopez the early rounds by default
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Oct-17-20 11:13 PM
2723758, 5-0 teo. loma better stop fucking around and trade.
Posted by Reeq, Sat Oct-17-20 11:15 PM
2723759, the kid pitching a shutout so far.
Posted by Reeq, Sat Oct-17-20 11:19 PM
2723760, andre ward gave loma the 2nd? what did he see?
Posted by Reeq, Sat Oct-17-20 11:21 PM
2723761, Loma finally turns up the heat in rd 8
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Oct-17-20 11:27 PM
2723762, Loma started taking the young boy into the matrix in round 11
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Oct-17-20 11:40 PM
but I think Loma needs a stoppage to win at this point.
2723763, i think teo got it. banked too many early rounds early.
Posted by Reeq, Sat Oct-17-20 11:44 PM
2723764, i dont see how anyone can give loma the 2nd like ward did.
Posted by Reeq, Sat Oct-17-20 11:46 PM
2723777, Watch it again, its already on YT
Posted by Heinz, Sun Oct-18-20 12:35 AM
Loma stole it with power shots. JUST activity isnt enough to me if you the opponent lands better significant shots.

Ward had it right. Lopez 1, 3-6, and 12. Loma 2, and 7-11. Draw.

Landing at 28% does not deserve those lopsided numbers. Im assuming because he was the underdog and was counted out that doing so well swayed people.

----------

IG @erichrigonan
2723765, damn the judges didnt even have that shit anywhere near close.
Posted by Reeq, Sat Oct-17-20 11:48 PM
maybe the commentary made it feel closer than it was.
2723770, It wasn't a close fight. I said Loma needed a KO going into the late rounds
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Oct-17-20 11:52 PM
2723771, apparently.
Posted by Reeq, Sat Oct-17-20 11:53 PM
2723768, LOL! TEO PROVED EVERYBODY WRONG, INCLUDING MYSELF
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Oct-17-20 11:50 PM
Everyone thought Loma would win if it went the distance, but Loma basically gave away the first 6 or 7 rounds. He said this would be his best performance, but Teo's power had him too timid to even try for most of the fight. He ended up being too small to fight in his style tonight. Congrats to Lopez!
2723769, I don’t really know what to take from this fight.
Posted by allStah, Sat Oct-17-20 11:51 PM
Is López really the better fighter?

Or did the long layoff hurt Lomo? He hasn’t fought since the summer of last year.

Lomo didn’t get going until the 6th round. Was it rust? Not sure.

And why didnt he take a tune up fight for his first fight back? Dude was on 14 month layoff.

There needs to be a second fight. Lomo just lost all 4 belts.

Hats off to Lopez. He brought it, but did tire down the stretch and looked vulnerable. He did close the show in the 12 round.

Not for or against either fighter. Good fight.
2723772, Goddamn Teofimo! Congrats to the kid!
Posted by Hitokiri, Sat Oct-17-20 11:58 PM
I think the long layoff hurt Loma... but so did Lopez's skill and power.
I'm definitely in for a rematch
2723773, Bob Arum said pre-fight that there's no rematch clause
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Oct-18-20 12:12 AM
>I'm definitely in for a rematch
2723775, Floyd Mayweather reveals he bet on Teofimo Lopez lol
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Oct-18-20 12:26 AM
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGeNtXlFw3e/
2723778, Loma must have thought he was going to tire in the later rounds
Posted by Castro, Sun Oct-18-20 02:49 AM
Gave dude too much early.
2723779, He said that was his gameplan a couple of times before the fight.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Oct-18-20 04:39 AM
That he wanted to "take him deep under water and hold him down without air." That shit failed the fuck out of him. Like Tony Harrison said, I've never seen someone lauded as p4p best give away so many early rounds. To me, he gave away the first 7. His most disappointing performance by far. You gotta start by round 4 or 5 at the latest, and even that's late.
2723782, I don't understand why he didn't do more. You could see Lopez
Posted by Castro, Sun Oct-18-20 06:22 AM
came in fit and was fighting in a disciplined manner. Oh well.
2723785, He had a 14 month layoff.
Posted by allStah, Sun Oct-18-20 09:23 AM
In the interview, Lopez said he knew that and the plan was take advantage of it. That’s why he was extra aggressive.

With 4 belts on the line, Lomo should have done a tune-up fight, to make sure there was no rust.

He appeared to have López hurt in the later rounds and was going for the KO, but López sustained his will and battled back in the 12th.

Fights like these require rematches or trilogies to determine who the better fighter really is.

Hopefully, a rematch is given by López just like lomo gave him a shot. If there is no rematch clause, that’s crazy.

However, Lopez did his thing and got the victory. Scorecards were inaccurate, but the win was spot on.

Ali/Frazier
Leonard/Duran
Paq/Marquez
Morales/Barrera.....etc

2723780, I gave Loma round 8...that was it
Posted by bentagain, Sun Oct-18-20 05:24 AM
I don’t see the outrage at the 119 card, that’s what I saw

Loma gave away the early rounds...but I’ve never seen a fighter intentionally give away the entire first half of a fight

I thought he was going for the KO in round 8...didn’t get it, but definitely won the round

and I didn’t think his jab was enough to win rounds vs Lopez’s power in the remaining rounds

Just because he decides to start throwing doesn’t automatically mean he wins rounds

Lopez was still beating him.

Wasn’t even an exciting fight for the most part

What started off looking like a strategy to tire Lopez, ended up looking like Loma ran for the whole fight

Brilliant strategy and execution by Lopez

Keeping Loma in front of him, working the body and not letting Loma get into a rhythm...I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t see it

Shame of it is, he’s probably going to move up for big names in future fights

Doubt we see a rematch.
2723786, I initially predicted Loma
Posted by snacks, Sun Oct-18-20 09:57 AM
And I scored it a draw, but I wasn't mad at the outcome (although those scorecards were ridiculous). I put bread on Lopez anyway so I wasn't trippin

I don't think Loma stays at 135. No reason to now, it will only get worse for him. He walks around at 139. He has some pretty solid options if/when he moves back down to 130

Lopez? Sky's the limit
2723787, My brief view of the fight via reasons Lopez won imo...
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Oct-18-20 10:05 AM
1. We'll start with the obvious one, his power had Loma timid, and this is the reason that...

2. Loma started so late. He gave away at least the first 6 rounds of the fight imo. I'll say more about this below

3. Loma gets a lot of praise for his footwork, which is basically a pivot to end up opposite his opponent's power hand where Loma will then land shots. Lopez simply stepped around with him, like a partner dance. I saw Rigondeaux working on that in preparation for Loma, but he didn't execute it in the fight. Lopez did.

4. Loma uses excellent head movement in the form of leaning to his left or right to end up in your wheelhouse. When he did that, Lopez would simply push him off. This is where Lopez' naturally bigger size was especially helpful. The times Lopez didn't push him off, Loma simply got there and didn't let his hands go, likely afraid of Lopez' powerful counters.

5. Speaking of Lopez' counters, he had that short right uppercut to the body on tuck like a shank whenever Loma would get in too close.

6. (And this is according to the post fight press conference) Lopez saw early that Loma was trying to take him into deep waters and decided to remain composed and conserve his own energy while still remaining active. So by the time Loma decided to start turning it up, Lopez still had gas in the tank.

More on Loma starting late...
In reviewing the fight, neither of them landed much in round 7. I could see judges scoring that round either way, but I scored it a draw. I gave Loma rounds 8,9,10, and 11 due to him landing more shots and them being cleaner. He always lands shots that aren't necessarily eye-catching, but a landed shot is a landed shot. He actually stopped Linares with a shot that most people didn't even notice had landed until the replay. Round 12 was closer than advertised, imo, and I could also see it going either way, even though Lopez did appear to do damage near the end of it.
As for giving Loma round 2, he landed the cleaner shots. All Lopez landed was a body shot in the beginning of the round and perhaps a right to the side of Loma's head. Loma's left with about a minute to go and the the 3-pucnh combination near the very end of the round were the cleanest punches of the round, but maybe the judges didn't respect the lack of activity. I'm not mad at Andre for scoring it for Loma. But even if I give him round 2, that's only 5 clear rounds for him. The right guy won imo. Truth be told, I was disappointed in this performance from Loma. That was far too much waiting around in a fight for the undisputed label that he said was his dream accomplishment.

2723834, Good analysis. Real quick, though:
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sun Oct-18-20 07:37 PM

I find it interesting that people are having a hard time
just plainly saying that Lopez outboxed Loma.

He did.

Loma got outboxed and probably even outclassed.

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
2723859, Totally agree.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Mon Oct-19-20 09:01 AM
He got outboxed something terrible. We saw that Loma has a formula and may not be the kind of fighter who can "find a way" when that formula fails him like the true greats do. He'll just keep doing the same pivot, sidestep, & lean over and over without adjustment. Floyd Mayweather called him "robotic" after the Rigo fight. Guess he was right.

He had a strategy that could only work for him in a 15 rd fight against this particular opponent. He did some really nice work in rds 8 - 11 and even had Teo in trouble, but he needed rounds 1 - 7 to set it up.
2723968, i'm standing in this line, and i feel like people aren't...
Posted by PROMO, Tue Oct-20-20 05:43 PM
lauding Lopez enough for his headspace through this whole fight.

i mean, the patience and maturity he showed for his age blew me away, especially cuz he is the bigger, stronger guy.

he could have lost his composure at any moment and just said to himself "i'm sick of this shit, just gonna try to power this guy to death" and Loma probably woulda flipped that approach on him.

instead, he just played it smooth. he got a little loose in rounds 8-11 but at that point, as long as Loma didn't knock him out which seemed unlikely period (at least IMO), he had already won the fight by then.

just an impressive performance.
2723788, For those wondering about the rematch, it ain't happening....
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Oct-18-20 10:11 AM
Here's Teo at the post fight presser telling us why it ain't happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YccRw7sJq9U#=52m35s
2723790, Why did lomo agree to that?
Posted by allStah, Sun Oct-18-20 11:25 AM
So it was Bob Arum.

What champ agrees to not have a rematch in case of a loss? That fight definitely deserves a rematch. Considering the long layoff, lomo was able to hurt López in the later round, and lomo was the champ, plus he gave the kid a shot.

Fighters do rematches to confirm the their victory wasn’t a fluke, and to leave no question marks.
2723797, Heist gone wrong...
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Oct-18-20 01:25 PM
I've paid attention to how Loma's career was moved to get him to undisputed, so I have a simple answer with a little bit of back story.

Let's keep in mind that Loma has repeatedly reiterated that he's too small for Lightweight. He also stated that he only moved up because he wanted to become undisputed, and he'd have a better shot at getting the fights at Lightweight, since the belts were mostly at Top Rank. He wanted to get 4 belts and then drop back down. They wanted to hurry that process up, likely because Loma is taking too much damage from bigger guys at Lightweight. One way they sped the process was appealing to the WBC to award him the "Franchise" WBC title, which meant he now had no mandatory and didn't have to fight Devin Haney (This is how Haney became WBC champ. He literally inherited the title w/o having to fight for it.) So now, the last big guy Loma would have to fight would be the winner of Lopez vs Commey.

So to answer your question, Loma agreed to no rematch so he wouldn't have to take more damage up there at Lightweight. As good a fighter as he is, it was clear that he wanted to get those 4 belts and gtfo of 135. He thought he'd win, drop back down and call out Gervonta Davis again or fight Shakur Stevenson. I view it as planned quick heist that went wrong.

2723798, Lomo’s whole career = SMH
Posted by allStah, Sun Oct-18-20 01:43 PM
He went pro at 25, and is now 32 years old with 15 fights as a pro. He should have continued fighting as an amateur. A lot of European fighters never turn pro because they are well taken care of by their government.

360 focking amateur fights, and at 32 is trying to take on these younger fighters while he continues to age.

There is a 10 year age difference between López and Lomo. What would lomo have been like at 25 vs López?

Anyone, none of these dude would have been able to handle mayweather at lightweight, when mayweather mopped up the whole division. Pretty Boy mayweather, not money mayweather.

2723932, RE: Lomo’s whole career = SMH
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Tue Oct-20-20 11:33 AM
I respect what he's been able to accomplish at Lightweight in the style that he did it. He also outclassed the hell out of Gary Russell Jr, and that can never be overlooked imo. The movement toward "undisputed" started to get questionable tho.

>He went pro at 25, and is now 32 years old with 15 fights as
>a pro. He should have continued fighting as an amateur. A lot
>of European fighters never turn pro because they are well
>taken care of by their government.

He definitely could've taken that route.

>360 focking amateur fights, and at 32 is trying to take on
>these younger fighters while he continues to age.
>
>There is a 10 year age difference between López and Lomo.
>What would lomo have been like at 25 vs López?

He would've been too small lol.

>Anyone, none of these dude would have been able to handle
>mayweather at lightweight, when mayweather mopped up the whole
>division. Pretty Boy mayweather, not money mayweather.

Mayweather would have the physical advantages, having the bigger frame and a much better reach advantage than even Lopez did. BUT, I do think Loma would've given him some problems. Floyd was a killer at 130, but 135 is where we started to see the KO's slow down. That's even where many argue that he lost to Castillo in the first fight. In the second fight, he had a very "punch and grab" style. Loma's really good at beating people up when they're trying to clinch, so it would've been one helluva fight imo, especially if it happened before the first Castillo fight. I'd give the edge to Mayweather for his ability to adjust, but I don't even know if I'd have bet on that fight tbh.
2723833, Loma got his ass kicked from almost beginning to end.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sun Oct-18-20 07:36 PM

It was not a close fight.

Very happy for Teo

2723967, Loma just had shoulder surgery again Monday night (SWIPE)
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Tue Oct-20-20 05:23 PM
He had a shot before the fight to alleviate pain.
He won't be able to train until January.
This is the same shoulder he injured previously in the Linares fight. Bob Arum said he visited with Loma before the fight and Loma never mentioned the injury, any pain or anything.

Is this perhaps why he wasn't letting his hands go much in the early goings of the fight?

https://sports.yahoo.com/vasiliy-lomachenko-undergoes-shoulder-surgery-full-recovery-expected-214057810.html?guccounter=1

Vasiliy Lomachenko undergoes shoulder surgery; full recovery expected

Kevin Iole
Combat columnist
Yahoo SportsOct 20, 2020, 4:40 PM

LAS VEGAS — Former lightweight champion Vasiliy Lomachenko underwent surgery on his right shoulder on Monday night in Los Angleles and won’t be able to resume boxing activities until late January, his surgeon, Dr. Neal S. ElAttrache told Yahoo Sports.

Top Rank’s Bob Arum, Lomachenko’s promoter, said he had no idea that Lomachenko had been in pain or injured before the fight. He said he visited with him before the bout and that Lomachenko never mentioned it.

ElAttrache said the damage was in the same spot that Lomachenko had been injured and had surgery previously.

ElAttrache, who said he treated Lomachenko’s shoulder when he arrived in the U.S. from Ukraine roughly six weeks ago to train for his bout for the undisputed lightweight title against Teofimo Lopez, said Lomachenko had pain throwing a right hook during the fight.

He said the prognosis for a full recovery was good.

“When he came in from the Ukraine for his last stages of preparation for the fight, he was having some difficulty with the shoulder,” ElAttrache told Yahoo Sports. “It turns out he had badly bruised the rotator cuff and chipped a piece of cartilage, which we didn’t realize at the time. But we knew he’d badly bruised the rotator cuff and badly bruised the bone where the rotator cuff attaches to the shoulder. That was roughly six weeks before the fight and we got him to where he was comfortable enough to train. He said he was able to train OK, but it continued to cause him pain during the fight.

“We operated on him last night and he had what we call a hemorrhagic thickened bursitis. That’s the tissue that lubricates and cushions the rotator cuff, which is where we had treated him and injected him before the fight. On the inside of the shoulder where he had previously dislocated the shoulder, he had chipped the cartilage on the inside of the socket. That was right next to the repair so I did a small touch-up of the repair so I could cover up the bare cartilage in the front of the shoulder.”

The labrum repair wasn’t as extensive as the one he’d injured in his 2018 fight with Jorge Linares, when he’d dislocated the shoulder, ElAttrache said.

He said that while surgeries always carry risk, he doesn’t think Lomachenko will have any issue resuming his career.

“The things we did for him after the first surgery made him pain-free and his shoulder stable enough that he could go and win a couple of championships after that surgery,” ElAttrache said. “I wouldn’t expect he’d have any limitation after this one for what we were able to do. Not all repeat surgeries have a worse prognosis.”
2723991, As someone who’s had a bone bruise and an impingement
Posted by bentagain, Wed Oct-21-20 06:24 AM
I don’t see how it’s possible to fight in that condition...without being highly medicated

The bigger issue is, that’s probably the end of Loma

He hasn’t been the same since the first surgery

They’ve been crediting his issues at higher weights to the size and reach of the opponents

The problem at the higher weights is his loss of power post surgery

After a 2nd surgery, I don’t think he’ll have any pop at all

Opponents will be able to just walk into the middle of the matrix and blow it up