Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: what was a realistic alternative?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2723245&mesg_id=2723484
2723484, RE: what was a realistic alternative?
Posted by pretentious username, Wed Oct-14-20 08:10 AM

>
>The real issue is that rightly are wrongly the way this
>country is setup police are controlled at the the local level
>and there's not a lot that can be done at the national level.
>Eric Garner and Mike Brown happened when Obama was in office.
>Seeing some of the things the current administration has done
>with its limited power in some regards makes me glad that they
>don't control local police.
>
>When it comes to politics most folks focus on the president
>but really need to play closer attention their local city,
>county and state elections. That's what should be emphasized
>but for whatever reason its not.

I wasn’t just addressing national politics though. On the national AND local level Dems like Eric Garcetti, Bill DeBlasio, etc. are completely ineffective against police unions. Voting isn’t going to solve this issue, which is why it’s disappointing to me that when the league came back the movement was almost entirely focused on voting as a solution. Even replacing current shitty Dems with more progressive ones can only do so much. For instance, the current DA for LA is a Dem but is insanely cop-friendly, however the other Dem on the ballot doesn’t seem much better, so regardless of who wins people need to keep fighting it in other ways than their ballot.

>
>NBA players have guaranteed contracts. If they didn't finish
>the season they would've forfeited those contracts and that's
>a lot of money for everybody.
>

I know, however I think the owners are wise enough to not rip up everyone’s contracts due to a social justice protest. Would’ve been a terrible look for a league that says they care and they’re listening. Regardless... as I said, the players don’t have a responsibility to strike or anything, I’m just pointing out how effective it would’ve been. You can see how much the idea of a strike freaked everyone out because Obama intervened.