Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectYou're right that the modern NBA style plays a role.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2722410&mesg_id=2722771
2722771, You're right that the modern NBA style plays a role.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Oct-08-20 11:25 PM
If I need a basket in a halfcourt possession at the end of a game, I'd definitely choose AD over Giannis, I'd choose AD over Luka *today* (though you're right that it could change very soon), I'd choose AD over Harden... I'd choose Dame over AD, just because that 40 foot range opens the floor so much. But you're right that for a *lot* of the better wing/perimeter players in the game today, they probably get the ball by default in a tight game because of the style of play. Like, I think AD is definitely better than Dame, but Dame gets the ball in a halfcourt set with the game on the line because the game is won on the outside nowadays.

That said, AD shooting something like 85% from the FT line-- and shooting 40% from 3 in the playoffs this year!-- means he's probably getting the ball down the stretch more than you'd think he is, tbh, inside or out.

And focal point goes both ways too-- on the defensive end, I'm definitely putting AD on the other team's best player, unless that player is, again, someone like Dame who can stretch AD out to 40 feet. And I'm not putting any of the aforementioned players, except for Giannis (if he takes the assignment, lol), on the opponent's best player.