Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectAD's Pels supporting cast was worse imo.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2722410&mesg_id=2722600
2722600, AD's Pels supporting cast was worse imo.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Oct-07-20 01:11 PM
The Bucks currently have:

Middleton, who's made two straight ASGs
Bledsoe, who's made two straight All-Defense teams
Brook Lopez, who's made an ASG in the past and who made an All-Defense team this season

And they had Malcolm Brogdon who won Rookie of the Year (and whose shooting I thought they sorely missed this season).

Like, maybe none of those guys is likely to go off for 30 on a given night, but they're all terrific team players, terrific in their roles, terrific on defense.

Davis's best ever teammates on the Pelicans were probably DeMarcus Cousins and Julius Randle, both of whom are individually probably better than any of those Buck players on offense... but both of whom stayed for very short tenures, and both of whom... more or less play the exact same game Davis does. (Minus the defense, of course.)

The only good backcourt/wing player AD consistently played with was Jrue Holiday, who still only shot 34% from 3 in a Pelicans uniform and never won any All-League awards during his time with Davis. Outside of that, I mean... Eric Gordon back from injury? E'Twuan Moore? Elfrid Payton? It's a pretty dire list.

I think the question should be "who's better, the Bucks without Giannis or the Pelicans without AD?" The Bucks were about .500 this year without Giannis, a little below .500 over the past two seasons combined without Giannis. The Pelicans were 8-18 without AD that final season. I'm sure there are myriad variables at play there, but the overall point I think still stands that, minus the stars, the Bucks have better team players and a better overall roster than the Pelicans had.