Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectIf they give him time, he could be a monster there.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2721005&mesg_id=2721027
2721027, If they give him time, he could be a monster there.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Sep-22-20 07:18 PM
Obviously is a hell of a coach-- 60+% win percentage in OKC during his time there, even in seasons that were supposed to be "down" (this one most of all).

He tends to run a faster pace, 4 out with a defensive minded big in the middle. This would suit guys like White and LaVine-- and would obviously suit Carter, as Donovan's been great at developing those anchor centers throughout his career.

I assume they'll be building around these dudes and Lauri, or at least aiming to do that while Donovan decides who fits his schemes. I'd also love to see them figure out Kris Dunn, whose offense is terrible but whose defense is just great in a way that's positionally fairly rare imo. (That said, it's not like Andre Roberson improved his shooting under Donovan, so maybe that's a lost cause and Dunn will always be a net negative. Sigh. Oh well. I'll cling to hope.)

It definitely is strange that he went to Chicago instead of to a more win-now situation... maybe the money is right. Who knows? But if they tank this year, draft one of the many wings that will be available at their pick, and maybe make some deals for picks in 2021's absolutely-loaded draft (Otto expiring?), he's a good coach and this is a good spot for a fairly swift turnaround.