Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI think the two are inextricably connected.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2719623&mesg_id=2720181
2720181, I think the two are inextricably connected.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Sep-15-20 06:05 PM
I'd also argue that White Supremacy is nested beneath the religion in this hierarchy, and being the greater overall evil because of it.

I look at it more or less like this:

White supremacists show up and act like they own the place.

Conversely, Christians came to this land as white supremacists and took over this land as an act exercise in white supremacy. Those same Christians built the economy of this land via the slave trade, all of which was justified through their Christianity.

Sure, apologists like to point out that it was other Christians that helped abolish slavery, but they simply kicked the can down the road.

To that end, Christians also show up and act like the own the place, with the significant difference that they're waiving around a document that they believe validates their ownership claim, despite the fact that we can't even verify the entity that supposedly granted them said ownership even exists.

I see this is more potently dangerous, because it's not just that it's been a historically primary tool of white supremacy, it's that it's also been used to indoctrinate the Black and Brown people they subjugated and oppressed in a way that facilitates the spread of white supremacist ideologies to those Black and Brown communities.

Just my two cents, but I think the separation between white supremacy and Christianity is razor thin. The more I understand secular humanism, the more I see how integral a belief in a god is to bigotry. It's not exclusive, but Christianity is a primary vehicle for the bigotry-i.e. white supremacy-we see in this country.

I don't think it would be nearly as pervasive without it.