Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectOther stumbles into stuff
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2719210&mesg_id=2728789
2728789, Other stumbles into stuff
Posted by jimaveli, Wed Dec-30-20 11:00 AM
Imagine WWE if the steroid stuff didn't happen in the early 90s.

How much longer would 'Hulk wins and fuck yo finisher LOL' have been the storyline without that trial? Or even if they would have moved HH along for someone younger/cheaper, it probably would have been another huge guy who could show up on-time and act right. Would we have gotten to the era of Bret and Shawn trying to turn the main title into the 'let's work some damn good matches..I'm tired of seeing how good those All Japan matches are compared to ours' title? Hell, would that Flair title run even been a thing?

And shiiiid, Bret is the bridge to Austin in my rasslin history book. And their mania 13 match stopped that show from being way down there on the list. And it wasn't even for the title based on smile loss, movie making, and all of that. Is it plausible that Austin would have been stuck in ECW or as the IC title 'good hand'/Mr. Perfect/Steamboat type of guy instead of ending up on the Rushmore of dudes who were 'everyone makes more money because I'm here' over?

I wish something would come up to make Vince stumble into something big for Cesaro, but I don't see it happening. In my mind, he is totally wasting away along with goddamn Shinsuke Nakamura. I know Nak can be like a much lazier Flair at his worst, but c'mon. If they would've gone all in on him, he could've been a bridge to younger stud Japan dudes coming over. As it stands, I can't see them getting any more major Japan dudes in the short term. If so, it's gonna be another older guy who wants an easier style to work.

>From a locker room standpoint.
>
>Further, I struggle thinking of a guy who was that universally
>well liked within the industry, whom fans nearly universally
>liked as well, who wasn't a top guy.
>
>The only guy I can think of is Taker, and he broke the "top
>guy" mold in a way that makes it damn near impossible for us
>to see ever again.
>
>Hogan, Flair, Austin, Rock, Cena. There's a Mt Rushmore's
>worth of guys like that. Taker broke that mold in a way those
>guys can't touch, even while being bigger marquees.
>
>I'm getting off topic here, but looking at how universally
>liked Jon Huber was backstage, how deeply so many fans were
>still behind him despite the way WWE booked him, I don't know
>that that that's common.
>
>I think it's pretty clear that Vince missed a significant boat
>there, because that man knew how to get over on all sides.
>
>Vince can suck a thousand dicks, for all the careers he toys
>with.