Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: they gotta make up for a lot of the talent having no swag or psychology
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2719210&mesg_id=2727395
2727395, RE: they gotta make up for a lot of the talent having no swag or psychology
Posted by jimaveli, Fri Dec-11-20 09:27 AM
>

This thread made me think about wrestling. And i even went around and watched a little more of it than I have in at least a year or so. This is great and I appreciate it.

My local IRL wrestling folks are programmed to think if it’s not WWE, it’s not worth watching. To me, it’s a sad waste. Half of wwe’s roster is re-engineered indy guys. I don’t know how folks forget this. And I’m one of those ‘more wrestling is eventually going to be better for everyone’ folks. That’s where I still stand now.

This was always going to be a problem imo. We’ve basically had 15 years of wwe being the only reliable game in the US. Impact put up some money but they were almost always the worst parts of wcw if we’re being honest. Now, folks are being coached to think the same thing of AEW. Their problems are different IMO.

IMO, WWE is never going to be caught up with. Okay, probably not in our lifetimes. If they want to run wrestling, they’re going to. Too strong. Too much money. Too many catalogs. Best production values by far. And their super Indy (nxt) is the best wrestling company in existence for my money. It’s vintage nwa with wwe’s gloss and Hbk lurking around agenting and producing. And it’s mostly guys making the best money they’ve ever made in the business sitting on the edge of making even more money. Everyone else is fucked.

So, if you can’t beat someone at their game, you should try to mix it up and try different things. That’s what these other companies are stuck with. And it’s gonna be touch and go for a while as they figure it out. All of them need tighter production on their matches to get the most out of their talent and storytelling. That’s the main problem I’m seeing with aew. That and Ross and Tony together ain’t it on commentary. Besides that, the insider stuff is gonna happen. The winks and nods to wwe are gonna happen. The missteps and seeing folks struggle to grow into the roles they’re creating for themselves? Yeah, all of that is gonna happen. But hopefully they’ll work through it and figure it out. It’s worth it to peek in from time to time and see.

This Omega thing could be fun if they advance the Hardy Expedition of Gold story and do it with Callis and Omega being shady jackasses. Omega will do the good match thing. The Bullet Club will reunite and be cool again across multiple feds. And then it comes down to whether the wwe gets bored enough to play with it too since everyone gets that it would be cool and fun in a world that could use it now. Omega vs Balor for some title is easy fun and we’re like 8 months away from it if things go right.