Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectLebron doesn't need more attention. He draws attention.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2718629&mesg_id=2718707
2718707, Lebron doesn't need more attention. He draws attention.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Aug-27-20 09:25 AM
This is your claim.

>The most badass thing Lebron James or Kawhi Leonard could EVER
>do is win a championship then use all of that attention to
>speak out about racial injustice.

You need to make ke that case.

If it were the 3rd guy off the bench in Charlotte, you'd have a point about "using all that attention", because that guy would kikely need the additional attention to make an impact.

But "all that attention" doesn't apply to the guy who has been one of the most visible athletes in the world for nearly two decades.

Particularly when he's been speaking out against racial injustice for years.

He's already doing that. Playing all of his games and "using all that attention to speak out against racial injustice" is quite literally just doing the same thing.

Lebron doesn't need a platform.

Lebron IS a platform unto himself.

He's not a business man, he's a business, man. Get it?

Your entire argument is that he should just do the status quo.

Meanwhile, Black man of his stature, showcasing the sort of power that can make the top two seeds in the second largest market abandon the playoffs, and then get the owner of his team to showcase her full support?

That can create a domino effect that can spur the owners themselves to action. Because he may be able to influence the rest of the league to do the same. I won't be surprised if other teams change course within the next few days and follow his lead.

It's a definitively bigger statement that has broader, far reaching implications for the league. Don't be surprised if the NBA ramps.uo their overall efforts as a result of this.

And the it's not just him, Kawhi, PG and AD making the statement.

Many may well follow his lead, which means more people can make the same statement.

Will they? Who knows.

But he has a level of power that can cause larger ripple effects than your suggestion that he just keep on keeping on, doing what he's already done with a high level of visibility already.

>I don’t know where these guys get their advice from, but I
>feel its short sighted.

Jesus christ. "I don't know where these guys get their advice from"?

This is "does t.i know he's a loser?" and "Kawhi is bitchmade" levels of smug and wrong.

Where do they get there advice from?

If you're trying out to be their adviser, you've failed miserably.
All you've done is say they can talk and dribble at the same time.

> If you feel I’m wrong, then I need you to explain to me how
>a boycott longer than one game or outright boycott of the
>remaining playoffs altogether would be better than charging
>ahead and being even MORE outspoken.

That's not how the burden of proof works.

You made a claim, but didn't make the case for that claim. Citing Ali and the two cats from Mexico do not make that case.

You don't get to just shout the contrarian opinion and say "prove me wrong".