Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectDepends who you talk to. I definitely think he'll go behind Ball.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2718130&mesg_id=2718169
2718169, Depends who you talk to. I definitely think he'll go behind Ball.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Aug-20-20 11:04 PM
Even with the red flags that Ball has (the defense, the shitty-looking shot, etc.), he's still, at worst, a 6'8 PG with strong handles, good passing ability, and the athleticism to become a terrific NBA player under the right coaching staff. (The Warriors, for instance, would do wonders with him.)

Wiseman's ceiling, on the other hand, is, in my opinion, something like... DeAndre Jordan with slightly better offense. I don't think he's a shooter (heard a little of this talk, and I think it's a *massive* cyse from what we've seen), and he's definitely not a passer-- he's a guy you put down low and count on to protect the rim, grab boards, switch on D, and run better than other bigs. He can definitely fill that role... but do you fill that role with a top 2 pick in today's NBA? Additionally, there are real concerns about his competitive edge, how much he loves to work on his game. Even when he was the number one HS prospect, he didn't make an all-EYBL team. I know I've read that GSW would be good for helping him reach his full potential... but it's not like Golden State ever got full potential out of Damian Jones, another guy whose love of the game was questioned coming out of college. Wiseman is obviously better than Damian Jones... but I bet his floor is closer to Damian Jones than people suspect.

I just can't see the Warriors drafting Wiseman over Ball. Ball is a perfect fit for the motion offense and carries considerable upside-- being around guys like Curry, Klay, and Dray would be perfect for him. I wouldn't be surprised if Wiseman ends up going closer to the 4-6 range... and really, if he goes top 3, it's mostly because it's such a weak class up top. He wouldn't even be top 8 in 2021 imo.