Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectlove you man but what you're suggesting is the polar opposite of simple
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2717401&mesg_id=2717651
2717651, love you man but what you're suggesting is the polar opposite of simple
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Aug-14-20 09:50 AM
that they erase the whole "student athlete" concept and start paying players is not "simple." that's a move that is an eventuality but it's also many, many years in the making. of course i agree that players should be compensated fairly but it's a very complex question as to how and resolving that issue on the fly just isn't going to happen. i strongly support paying players--allowing them to monetize their name/likeness is a half-measure, but a step in the right direction--but even i wouldn't do this if i were the ncaa. you're taking a major step under duress and it reeks of desperation. also you've got to follow the money, they aren't going to do something five or 10 years ahead of schedule just to save one or two seasons. lastly i think you are overstating the need for escape. three of the four major pro leagues are playing and the fourth is on the way. that's in addition to mls and european soccer leagues. it's a pretty normal marketplace for sports right now.