Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectYour last point is wrong.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2717282&mesg_id=2717405
2717405, Your last point is wrong.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Aug-10-20 11:11 PM
>Dude porter jr was the best high school senior on the planet,
>Mr basketball everything. Unfortunately, he didn’t play that
>much in college, but didn’t need to. His skill set is
>generationally.

I know. Except for the bad grammar, yes, I agree.

>Wendell will be a serviceable big man at best. It’s just
>obvious.

Near double double at 21 from a defensive big man is not something a team should take for granted. Especially a team whose best player is a 4 who can't defend. They're a perfectly matched pair.

Porter Jr is walking buckets inside and out, and has
>crazy rebounding and court vision ability. And has one of the
>purest shots in the league.

Yes, when he's on the court.

>Just like with Pippen, the only question mark is his
>back....and if Pippen is his ceiling as far as all around
>ability goes, dude come on!

Michael Porter Jr. will not be Scottie Pippen, because the Porter family has tendons and cartilage made of spent-a-week-on-the-counter mozzarella. It's fucked up. But it's true. And one can't really ignore that. (It's also grossly underselling Pippen or grossly overselling Porter. I can't tell which is happening here. But yes, Porter is very, very talented.)

>Pippen lasted and so can Porter Jr. so far Denver got a
>Fucking steal and if it doesn’t work out , oh well, they
>still got mad talent.

It was a great price at that position. No one is arguing the alternative. The mad talent Denver has is precisely why Denver was able to draft him and Chicago wasn't-- because even if he never played another game, Denver is fine either way. The majority of the top 13 teams in that draft were *not* in a position where they could whiff on a guy with his injury history. So Denver took him and, for a few games now, it's paid off nicely. If he stays healthy, it'll pay off further still. I hope he does stay healthy.

>And , btw, before the pandemic he was coming on strong.

No, that's wrong.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/portemi01/gamelog/2020

He had a hot couple of weeks in January... then he got hurt. Again. Missed more time and wasn't really in the rotation when the pandemic hit. Because the ankle sprain he said post-game was fine ended up lingering for longer than expected. Which, again, is par for the course for the Porter family. Jontay tore his ACL twice in two years. Bri had to retire after five (!!) ACL tears before college. Cierra medically retired from basketball for a spell too because her knee can't get right. They just can't get right.

I'm rooting for him to succeed. No one wants to see an injury-prone guy keep getting hurt. But he wasn't the right pick for the Bulls there, because the Bulls did not have the talent to afford a miss. Which is why several more teams passed on Porter too. It's revisionist history to suggest otherwise.

If I can set my 2K settings to no injuries, then of course, Porter Jr would've contended for the top pick. But that's just not how the world works. And Bulls fans shouldn't poo-poo the 21-year-old they have when MPJ is the human embodiment of every war movie land mine sequence.

Anyhow. I'm done with this convo, you can have the last word. I just wanted to correct the factually wrong thing for anyone else who may read this. Stay safe.