Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectIMHO you have a veteran team going for it all, that's a good approach
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2716845&mesg_id=2717833
2717833, IMHO you have a veteran team going for it all, that's a good approach
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Mon Aug-17-20 03:46 PM
There is this new way of thinking that says you should gun for a dynasty, a sustainable thing blah blah blah. Not everybody is the Spurs and the Spurs had Duncan playing at a really high level for 20 years.

To me it's the front office who has to have a mind toward those things but the coaching and the lineup should stay oriented toward vets. Yes I get that Trotz was sticking with the Orpiks of the world and now playing Bowey, stuff like that. He didn't give a consistent role to Burakovsky or show much patience with him. But there is alway give-and-take, and Trotz is the rare coach that can really define a team's identity and be a big figure in it. Look at Nashville, he was basically the star of the franchise and the same thing is happening in New York.

I thought it was really dumb that they approached it in such an inflexible way, and honestly I thought it was dumb that they were ushering him out the door prior to the Cup win. He and GMBM differed on some things, and on most of those things, Trotz was right. He didn't want Shattenkirk, and that move was pretty much a bust. That's where I thought they went wrong if anything. They went all in on one year and were prepared to rebuild a little with an impending cap crunch rather than just keeping the window open. It didn't end up hurting them much, and that had a lot to do with the job Trotz did.