Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThe bar is so low that any progress they make feels exciting
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2715202&mesg_id=2715413
2715413, The bar is so low that any progress they make feels exciting
Posted by Tiger Woods, Thu May-28-20 05:29 AM
A few seasons ago they were a game away from the East Finals, and there was definitely a buzz. They lost to Boston anyway, who was doomed to face the Cavs, but some of those games were a thrill.

Beal floated the idea two years ago that when Wall’s out “everybody eats”. That’s cute, but I’ve since realized the team is markedly worse - slower with less offensive flexibility for sure. And I’m not going to look this up but if they were the worst defensive team per possession in the history of the NBA that wouldn’t surprise me.

Conventional wisdom on the Wizards is that you need at least one Top 10 in the league guy on your team to compete and Beal, as good as he is, will never be Top 10 in the league. John Wall on the other hand can play at that elite of a level when he’s healthy and focused (which has become increasingly rare)

I’m a homer obviously, but even I want to see a healthy Wall with Beal, Bertrans, and a more experienced Hacimura. I just want to know if there’s something there. If they’re middling around .500 at New Years let’s start listening to offers, but first I want to confirm once and for all what we have.