Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectCFB offseason
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2714716
2714716, CFB offseason
Posted by will_5198, Sat May-09-20 12:17 PM
- recruiting is on a dead period probably until games are played, so it is 100 percent social media and calls/texts with coaches who have nothing else to do. december signing will be interesting without any summer camps/visits -- I feel more sleepers could fall through the cracks and the recruiting rankings are going to be even more speculative than usual.

- that said, Tennessee just got verbals from a pair of 5* and four 4* in a span of eight days. all were top HS players from Alabama, Georgia and Florida. I've been around long enough to see plenty of recruiting dreams die on campus or signing day, but Pruitt has a loooong record of evaluating and developing talent (unlike star-gazer Butch). best part about having the current #2 national class is seeing all the fucking subtweets from Georgia, Florida and even Oklahoma. uh-oh.

- Tua's little brother just entered the transfer portal.

- oh and last month Mike Leach posted a joke with a noose meme and really started things off swimmingly at Mississippi State.
2714747, looking like no fans in eugene for osu/oregon
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon May-11-20 10:15 AM
Of course I would've liked to see a hyped atmosphere for that game but what a huge break for OSU to play that game w/o fans. OSU's 2 most difficult games this year are oregon and psu on the road. Both games become infinitely easier without fan rowdiness.

Day + Hartline are recruiting at a higher level than urban which is hard to believe. Never thought I'd live to see the day where OSU landed 5-star WR's with ease. If OSU lands JT and Egbuka out of Washington as predicted, this could wind up the highest rated recruiting class of all time.

Equally as hard to believe is what PJ Fleck is doing on the recruiting trail at minny. Maybe they're the team to finally give wisky some legit competition in the west.

Good thing harbaugh ruffled so many feathers by running all those satellite camps in sec country...it's really paved the way for his recruiting domination in the state of Massachusetts lolz.
2714816, Pac-12 says maybe conference games only
Posted by will_5198, Tue May-12-20 10:17 AM
who knows at this point
2714827, and the pac-12 will fall further into the abyss of irrelevancy
Posted by 3xKrazy, Tue May-12-20 04:07 PM
not saying they're wrong in whatever it is they decide, but the other conferences aren't going to bat an eye at what the pac is doing.
2714748, decommits should be at all time high once things open back up
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon May-11-20 10:16 AM
>- recruiting is on a dead period probably until games are
>played, so it is 100 percent social media and calls/texts with
>coaches who have nothing else to do. december signing will be
>interesting without any summer camps/visits -- I feel more
>sleepers could fall through the cracks and the recruiting
>rankings are going to be even more speculative than usual.
2714797, Tennessee with another pair of 4* over the weekend.
Posted by will_5198, Mon May-11-20 09:53 PM
of course they aren't going to finish at #2 nationally, but the Simone Biles-level mental gymnastics by opposing SEC East fanbases right now is glorious
2714819, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Let's see your boy coach them up, especially develop a qb
Posted by dillinjah, Tue May-12-20 12:02 PM
>of course they aren't going to finish at #2 nationally, but
>the Simone Biles-level mental gymnastics by opposing SEC East
>fanbases right now is glorious

As an aside, is Bama's grip on recruiting in the South starting to finally vane, or is this just wishful thinking?
2714822, lots of assistant turnover
Posted by will_5198, Tue May-12-20 12:45 PM
>As an aside, is Bama's grip on recruiting in the South
>starting to finally vane, or is this just wishful thinking?

guys like Cochran and Burton Burns (who had been there a decade and had a hand in nearly every successful bama back). didn't help that some of those guys ended up at SEC rivals, a fact he seemed to lament to Belichick during The Art of Coaching.

but they'll still get top 5 classes as long as Saban is there. I mean hell, they just finished 2nd nationally last year.
2714820, Mack Brown doing his thing
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue May-12-20 12:19 PM
i guess our operation got tighter because we're pulling like we did when Butch was here. were also recruiting way better in-state now.

we should be ready to take down Clemson in 2021 if things continue to progress.
2714823, Carolinas have a lot of talent
Posted by will_5198, Tue May-12-20 12:46 PM
SEC and Florida State used to get some prime players from there

it's a good recruiting base
2714922, lilTua transferring to Maryland. intriguing
Posted by HecticHavoc, Fri May-15-20 07:37 PM
im really digging the direction Arkansas is heading. i like Pittman and he seems like he isnt a complete waste of space like that Texas High School coach roaming the sidelines losing to Colorado state.

i fully expect ASU to win the P12 South. lost some NFL talent but Jayden D will break in the new skill guys nicely im sure.
2714930, Locksley
Posted by will_5198, Sat May-16-20 12:04 AM
I don't know if he'll ever be a good HC, but he's a great recruiter.

I watched the HBO 24/7 on Arizona State and am overall impressed with what Herm is doing (initial doubter raises hand). Antonio Pierce looks like he could be a big thing in coaching.
2714938, Pierce has been great
Posted by HecticHavoc, Sat May-16-20 10:52 AM
he's poached a lot of California players ASU couldn't dream of getting the last decade. the consensus is Herm is grooming him to take over when he decides to retire. you've gotta wonder how much money U of A is saving up to try and bring him to Tucson.

ASU really needs to take advantage of the next two years, JD may not stay his senior year and most of the defense will be sophomores as well. take advantage of the tumult at both LA schools while you can. Utah will need to reload too.
2714945, I remember when pierce was interning for the howard stern show
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sat May-16-20 03:26 PM
that's an interesting career arc
2714924, wasn't surprised at lil tua getting outta there.
Posted by tariqhu, Fri May-15-20 09:26 PM
he can't get on the field. mac jones will start and he's good. not tua good, but still. plus the got a fresh that's some are saying is at least as good as tua. jury's out since he hasn't played and didn't unseat Jones.

TN seems to be doing well with the recruits. Pruitt is working his mojo over the last couple of years.
2714928, yeah, who knows with Tualia
Posted by will_5198, Sat May-16-20 12:01 AM
Mac Jones is pretty boring but he'll just have to limit turnovers and throw safe passes to YAC-monsters Waddle and Smith
2715276, University of Michigan President is saying no students, no sports
Posted by calij81, Mon May-25-20 05:46 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/5252621002

2715281, they'll play
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon May-25-20 06:55 PM
2715283, nah they finally figured out a way to not lose to yall
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon May-25-20 07:33 PM
2715285, that was much too easy and ive lost my zest for making fun of them
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon May-25-20 08:05 PM
because if i was still enthusiastic about doing so i for sure wouldve posted the recent tweet idiocy from josh gattis...yeesh.
2715286, do people here fuck with RJ Young? just curious.
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon May-25-20 08:06 PM
dude is a content machine and an OU fan but seems to be on OSU's nuts pretty hard.

2715426, JT Daniels transfers to Georgia
Posted by HecticHavoc, Thu May-28-20 03:17 PM
interesting move. reminds me of that dude that went to Arkansas and transferred to USC and never played. some little Springdale jackass
2715429, MITCH MUSTAIN!
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri May-29-20 11:26 AM
lol theres a name i havent thought about in years
2715478, everyone on here still riding for Dabo?
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Jun-03-20 11:31 AM
well ok then!
2715497, Bomani broke it down pretty well.
Posted by will_5198, Wed Jun-03-20 02:20 PM
basically guys like Dabo -- who did face long odds in general and worked hard -- think that their struggle is the same as the struggle of minorities. he's one of those bible-slappers who "doesn't see color", which is as dangerous as the outright racists.

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/1267547126835351552?s=20
2715506, or he's just greasy and full of shit
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Jun-03-20 03:37 PM
never bought his gee golly shucks act from day 1
2715510, it's the same effect.
Posted by will_5198, Wed Jun-03-20 03:55 PM
2715528, i just feel like there's a lot of excuse making for this guy
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Jun-03-20 06:29 PM
2715512, man dabo like 55 and been all over America by this point
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Jun-03-20 04:05 PM
he know better

He’s just a piece of shit
2715622, former Pitt players call Narduzzi racist.
Posted by will_5198, Sat Jun-06-20 03:18 PM
"My former head coach would call opponents ‘thugs’ if he didn’t like their style of play,” Reynolds wrote. “He’d even call some of my teammates and I ‘thugs’ if we wore a hood underneath our travel jumpsuit when it was freezing outside. Lol we couldn’t even wear our Pitt hat backwards without being called ‘thugs.’ These things happen all the time and are constantly overlooked or never even heard about.

"Although they aren’t direct racial slurs, it isn’t not racism just (because) you use alternate terms to define us. There is systematic oppression and racism within college athletics and it needs to be addressed as well. If you are a college coach or a sports coach in general and have spoken out with genuine care and legit facts, I salute you!" -- LB Elias Reynolds, transferred out last fall

“(He’s) not lying" -- former WR Darian Street

"Remember when he told me to cut my dreads then said it was pitiful when he didn’t see me with a hair cut the next day" -- former WR Justin Morgan

another feather in Mark Dantonio's cap...
2715623, Iowa players call out Ferentz and S&C coach
Posted by will_5198, Sat Jun-06-20 03:40 PM
"There are too many racial disparities in the Iowa football program. Black players have been treated unfairly for far too long." -- James Daniels

"If you are a black player you quickly learn to conform to white culture (when in the building) at Iowa and if you don’t. You won’t make it very long" -- Toren Young

"Coach Doyle is the problem in that building. And so is Brian Ferentz. Things won’t progress until those two fix themselves. They know they’re a problem. KF isn’t. I respect coach Ferentz wholeheartedly. It’s the other in the building." -- Jaleel Johnson

"I remember whenever walking into the facility it would be difficult for black players to walk around the facility and be themselves. As if the way you grew up was the wrong way or wasn’t acceptable & that you would be judge by that and it would impact playing time." -- Amani Hooker

"A lot of my brothers dealt with issues and I’m glad someone is speaking on it now." -- Tevaun Smith

"I got so many stories I can talk about and experiences I had and other teammates but this was one of them." -- Akrum Wadley

"Coach Ferentz is one of the reasons I committed to Iowa as a high school senior. He cares, and he gets it. However, for this program in particular, real change begins with Coach Doyle and his Strength & Conditioning staff." -- Faith Ekakitie

not that it matters, but a lot of these guys were starters and big contributors to Iowa so you can shove the "malcontent players who couldn't cut it" argument
2715627, striking differences in player opinions of Jr vs Sr Ferentz
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sat Jun-06-20 07:03 PM
2715635, interesting. doyle has long been considered the #1 guys in the S&C field.
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sun Jun-07-20 10:07 AM
this would certainly lead to a pretty bad situation given that the s&c staff spends more time year round with the players than the football staff does.
2715658, he cant be that good if shit like this is happening on his watch
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Jun-08-20 03:33 PM

https://www.thegazette.com/2011/01/26/100-squats-17-minutes-rhabdomyolysis

IDK what kind of program they run over at Iowa but this is not it
attempted murder under the guise of conditioning as far as im concerned
2715659, oh yeah I forgot about that...WHOOPS.
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon Jun-08-20 04:13 PM
2715733, Doyle will now be selling home workout programs on instagram
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon Jun-15-20 11:24 AM
he gone
2715744, Mike Gundy you are next up on the summer jam screen
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Jun-15-20 03:23 PM
breh rocked a OAN shirt in a fishing trip photo and now all his players are rebelling on social media and posting stories of being mistreated on the team.
2715748, I fucking hate OAN and I hate that they’re headquartered in San Diego
Posted by calij81, Mon Jun-15-20 05:58 PM
His player should all transfer out of the program.

To be honest, I’m not surprised that Gundy would watch OAN. He will probably eventually do sports commentary for OAN and it will have a very C@ste Football bias to his reporting.
2715750, maybe this is why dude never gets offered a big time gig?
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon Jun-15-20 06:09 PM
2715754, he's played Tennessee like a drum several times :/
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jun-15-20 06:47 PM
feigned interest for raises...
2715755, they made hubbard apologize gotdamn
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon Jun-15-20 07:28 PM
https://twitter.com/Hubbard_RMN/status/1272673812795084801?s=20
2715756, fock
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jun-15-20 08:36 PM
that took like all of an hour :/
2715759, gundy got this kid looking like a hostage damn
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Jun-15-20 10:21 PM
2715761, I hate this
Posted by CherNic, Tue Jun-16-20 08:14 AM
College players have to have the least amount of leverage....I hate that he had to apologize for his idiot coach
2715762, it's outrageous...but nobody will give a shit cause it's oklahoma
Posted by 3xKrazy, Tue Jun-16-20 09:46 AM
>College players have to have the least amount of
>leverage..

the thing is...in this situation hubbard had a whole lot of leverage.

not saying it wouldve been an easy thing for him to wage war with the machine or transfer out or sit the year and wait for the nfl...but those options were on the table for him.
2715796, 13 Texas players test positive
Posted by Frank Mackey, Thu Jun-18-20 12:03 PM
Shit is popping off here in Texas. I just don't see how they are going to pull off a season.
2715803, You think the NCAA and college ADs are going to stop exploiting
Posted by calij81, Thu Jun-18-20 04:03 PM
student athletes because of a pandemic?

You’re a Tennessee Volunteers fan, do you think the SEC isn’t going to play this season? They will just sit the kids who read positive and keep on playing.
2715833, there are cfb fans who think this is a good thing
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sun Jun-21-20 02:25 PM
2715840, Why do they think this is a good thing? Do they not want a season?
Posted by calij81, Mon Jun-22-20 12:02 AM
2715842, their logic is if they test positive now
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon Jun-22-20 09:39 AM
they'll be good to go for the rest of the season
2715811, All the republican states that never attempted to take this seriously
Posted by DJR, Fri Jun-19-20 11:24 AM
are going to blow this thing up even larger and prevent a season from happening. And they’re also the ones who will also do the most bitching about no college football.

We’d be pretty much done with this whole thing if we had competent leadership.
2715815, Yup, Clemson has enough positives to play a game
Posted by rob, Fri Jun-19-20 08:14 PM
Recruiting and high school is going to be setting things back for the next few years too.

Outside of maybe some of the west coast programs (and they’ll shut themselves down anyway) the high school football programs are fucked. Around here they started having workouts and they’re shutting down like dominoes (the kids are still out because everything is “open” in Texas, though.)
2715834, Michigan is gonna have a high school season i think
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sun Jun-21-20 02:53 PM
we're in an actual science based reopening (imagine that! smh) and supervised workouts are happening. I wouldnt have thought it possible but i have a feeling schools will reopen too.

I could see immediate family and students being the only fans, and everything going relatively fine. If it went left, it would get shut down, and our health care system should be able to contain a problem before it gets big.

if every state did what Michigan we would all have football on every level in the fall, at least in empty stadiums. but how can florida schools even bring their students back? their numbers are prototypically logarithmic.

it feels good for the state of Michigan to lead the way in something like this. it had been a minute.
2715835, the south is going to have normal service. Virus numbers be dammed
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sun Jun-21-20 03:55 PM
2715839, ^^^. No way SEC doesn't play. At best it'll be behind closed doors.
Posted by dillinjah, Sun Jun-21-20 11:01 PM
I can actually see parts of the ACC resisting, but there's no way clemson, florida state, miami ,G & V tech won't play.
2715841, They are playing for sure, same goes for the big 10 and big 12
Posted by calij81, Mon Jun-22-20 12:05 AM
I even think the Pac 12 plays but they will only play pac 12 teams and will not have fans.
2715843, i wouldn't put those conferences on the level of sec
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon Jun-22-20 09:40 AM
when it comes to handling this
2715846, the big 12 i would. too much texas.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Jun-22-20 10:32 AM
2715847, Ya probably. I guess I should’ve just said big 10.
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon Jun-22-20 10:50 AM
2715848, What do you mean by this? In terms of playing games? Or having fans
Posted by calij81, Mon Jun-22-20 11:11 AM
I can’t see Michigan and Ohio State not playing this season and if they play they will have fans. Perhaps Michigan schools won’t have fans but Ohio, Nebraska, Iowa, and and Indians have too much MAGA and red hat crowds and fans in those states to just sit back and accept science, common sense and good policy in terms of empty stadiums.
2715851, I was just following up your point re: conferences diving head first
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon Jun-22-20 12:44 PM
into all of this and following the lead of the sec

as a whole, I don't envision the big 10 being as reckless about it as the sec where there will be 0 fucks given.
2717143, RE: Nebraska, it's not even necessarily MAGA, though that's part of it
Posted by Nodima, Wed Aug-05-20 01:32 PM
I see people all over the timeline handing out change.org petitions and critical statistics encouraging parents to keep their kids at home, teachers to strike/boycott, calling out restaurants that opened for dine-in the day they were allowed by the state, calling out the Omaha Police Department for escalating peaceful protests into violent arrest orgies...but then this morning, Big 10 announces the Huskers' schedule and look who's got the GBR flag flying high!

Crazy.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
2715838, WaPo reoorting at least a quarter of LSU football team quarantined
Posted by CherNic, Sun Jun-21-20 06:18 PM
Either tested positive or in contact with someone positive.

This is going to be a disaster...
2715844, SMH...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Mon Jun-22-20 09:44 AM
..all these proposed "plans" to move forward with professional sports, yet none of them address the pandemic that we're still facing (with very limited info/resources).

Good grief! © Charlie Brown.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2715849, The Athletic reporting Kansas State went from 0 to 14 cases
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jun-22-20 11:29 AM
after a group of players went to parties. these positive cases are going to be inevitable for all teams.
2715850, I read a report that the surge in Mississippi is related to frat events
Posted by calij81, Mon Jun-22-20 11:34 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/19/us/mississippi-coronavirus-fraternity-parties/index.html

Even if CFB players aren’t attending these, their friends probably are.
2715852, just wait until classes start
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jun-22-20 12:51 PM
is the entire football program going to have private professors? otherwise...
2715853, Out here in California, the CSU and UC systems have announced
Posted by calij81, Mon Jun-22-20 12:58 PM
They will be majority virtual classes and only a few in person classes. I imagine the only in person classes will be lab type classes and work.

It is possible that the California CFB programs will actually have individual classes just for their athletes.
2715903, Morehouse is canceling fall sports
Posted by CherNic, Fri Jun-26-20 11:57 AM
https://morehouseathletics.com/news/2020/6/26/cross-country-morehouse-college-cancels-fall-sports.aspx

Dear Morehouse Community,

I write to inform you that due to the COVID-19 virus, Morehouse College will not participate in intercollegiate athletic competition sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC) this upcoming Fall. This will affect our cross country and football sponsored athletic teams. I want all of our scholar-athletes, parents, and alumni to know that the College will honor all athletic scholarship awards.

Like all of the decisions we've made related to COVID-19, this was a difficult one but was made with the health and well-being of our students and community in mind. It follows my intention to maintain a safe campus in hopes that our students will be able to return in August. Our Maroon Tiger teams travel to other NCAA institutions and cannot compete without breaking from social distancing guidelines still maintained by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Sporting events also invite individuals to our campus who will not be subject to the testing and monitoring that we plan to implement for our students, faculty, and staff.

I know this news will be most disappointing to our scholar-athletes, especially our seniors. I can only ask for your understanding and respect for the fact that the College is prioritizing your health and safety ahead of all else.

We are committed to the principle that our athletes are first and foremost students. Each one was admitted to Morehouse with the expectation that he has the intellectual ability and commitment to finish his degree studies here. We will support each scholar-athlete to realize that central goal that brought him to Morehouse. Our dedicated academic support for our athletes and maintenance of NCAA and SIAC compliance standards will also continue.

This decision does not apply to sports played during the upcoming Winter and Spring athletic seasons. Those decisions will be forthcoming later in the year. If you have questions regarding the implementation of this policy, please contact your head coach or Mr. Ruben Perez, associate athletic director for external operations and strategic communications.

In the last several weeks, we have had to make some hard decisions to cope with the exigencies of COVID-19. I have been grateful for the understanding and support our community has provided the College and me personally. I am extremely optimistic about the College's future. We will rise out of COVID-19 moment stronger and more focused on delivering our mission. So much of what the country has experienced these last few months makes clear that the world needs Morehouse.

Sincerely,

David A. Thomas, Ph.D.
President
2716219, Ivy League schools cancelled 2020 season...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jul-08-20 04:50 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ivy-league-cancels-college-football-season-for-fall-2020-will-reevaluate-playing-sports-in-january-2021/
2716228, OSU suspended their voluntary workouts
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Jul-08-20 07:58 PM
as I said, they ain't the SEC when it comes to this kinda thing
2716229, I don't think the SEC will play at this point.
Posted by will_5198, Wed Jul-08-20 08:21 PM
they'll kick the can and start planning for a spring season.
2716230, Yeah I think postponing the season to spring is the right idea
Posted by calij81, Wed Jul-08-20 08:41 PM
2716299, the logistics of a spring season are difficult
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Jul-10-20 05:55 PM
I'm thinking the 2020 season is about to get washed out
2716302, Pac 12 also announced they will only play conference games
Posted by calij81, Fri Jul-10-20 06:29 PM
Which isn’t surprising since the Pac 12 announced the possibility of this months ago.

What are the logistics that make a spring season difficult? I don’t see what would make a spring season any more difficult than a fall season.

In the end I think these conference and professional sports (especially NFL and CFB) are just kicking the can down the road and will eventually cancel.
2716303, NFL draft and 2021 season gets in the way
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Jul-10-20 08:12 PM
as well as cfb 2021 season

not enough spacing in between spring and fall to play consecutively
2716305, If I’m CFB, I’m not concerned about the NFL draft
Posted by calij81, Fri Jul-10-20 10:17 PM
The draft can always be moved back.

You are right about it basically running back to back with a normal fall CFB season and that would be an issue, especially when it comes to injured players, new recruits coming on to campus, firing/hiring/promotion season for coaches.

I still think a spring season can be done but It will take some long term thinking because if it’s potential impact to a fall 2021 season.
2716313, from what I've heard the NFL isn't accommodating shit
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sat Jul-11-20 11:56 AM
and that's a dealbreaker IMO
2716315, well unless the NFL gives P5 a direct loan
Posted by will_5198, Sat Jul-11-20 12:15 PM
then the colleges aren't going to care when the draft is. the draftable pool is what, 300-400 players max?

all of those players could sit out and the colleges are still going to move forward, if they can. forcing the draft doesn't really do any good for the NFL, either -- aside from teams wanting game tape, the public excitement for the draft will be at a lower level since Joe Fan won't know who most of these kids are.
2716327, fair point but the other issue of running into fall 2021 remains
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sat Jul-11-20 02:31 PM
2716262, big ten will play conference only slate if they play in the fall (link)
Posted by dillinjah, Thu Jul-09-20 03:32 PM
https://bigten.org/news/2020/7/9/big-ten-statement-on-2020-21-fall-season.aspx

I gotta think the SEC will follow suit, aside from allowing certain SEC/ACC rivalries (UGA-Tech, Florida/Florida St, Clemson/gamecocks) to proceed due to proximity
2716860, ACC decides on conference schedule only, + Notre Dame (fuck the Irish):
Posted by dillinjah, Wed Jul-29-20 06:38 PM
*IF* football happens, based on the below at least there's a way to perserve the relevant in state ACC/SEC rivalries. I gotta think SEC will follow suit in response.

Also, would be good to get a Miami Notre Dame out of all of this...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29559987/acc-sets-fall-football-plans-includes-notre-dame

The ACC board of directors voted Wednesday to proceed with an 11-game football season that begins the weekend of Sept. 12 -- and includes FBS independent Notre Dame playing a full league schedule -- but only if public health guidance allows.

All ACC schools and Notre Dame will play 10 conference games plus one nonconference game of their choosing, and the Fighting Irish will be eligible for the ACC championship game. There will be no divisions for this season only.

The nonconference game must take place in the home state of the ACC institution, and all nonconference opponents must have met the medical protocol requirements as agreed upon by the ACC during the coronavirus pandemic.

The 11 games will be played over at least 13 weeks, with two built-in bye weeks. The ACC championship game will be played in Charlotte, North Carolina, on either Dec. 12 or Dec. 19 and will feature the top two teams with the highest conference winning percentages.

The ACC scheduling rules would eliminate all three Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game matchups scheduled to be played in Atlanta: Florida State-West Virginia on Sept. 5, Virginia-Georgia on Sept. 7 and North Carolina-Auburn on Sept. 12.

The ACC shared each team's conference schedule on social media shortly after the announcement.

The ACC will release the full schedule at a later date. Though it is difficult to completely eliminate long-distance travel in a league that spans Florida to New York to now Indiana, most of the new league schedule features more regional games to limit those trips.

"Today's decision was made after months of thoughtful planning by numerous individuals throughout the conference," ACC commissioner John Swofford said in a statement. "The Board's decision presents a path, if public health guidance allows, to move forward with competition. Our institutions are committed to taking the necessary measures to facilitate the return in a safe and responsible manner. We recognize that we may need to be nimble and make adjustments in the future. We will be as prepared as possible should that need arise."

The board of directors, consisting of the ACC's presidents and chancellors, met Wednesday to decide what to do about the fall sports season with the coronavirus pandemic showing no signs of slowing down. With fall football practice set to begin next week and a previously announced timetable to make a decision by the end of July, the group was presented multiple scheduling options.

Last week, the 10-plus-1 schedule emerged as the preferred model, with Notre Dame counting as an ACC member for this season only, allowing for more scheduling uniformity and the ability to keep one nonconference game on the schedule. This was especially important for the four ACC schools with SEC in-state rivals. Removing Notre Dame as a nonconference team simply made it easier to keep preferred nonconference games on the schedule.

How college football teams are prepping for the start of practice

Will college football happen in 2020? How each conference is approaching the upcoming fall season

Are the SEC, Big 12 and ACC getting closer to football decisions? Well, it's complicated
All 15 teams will be a part of the bowl process, and Notre Dame would be eligible for the ACC's slot in the Orange Bowl if it is not selected as a College Football Playoff semifinalist. All television revenue for the 2020 season, including Notre Dame's home games broadcast by NBC, will be shared equally by all 15 institutions.

Notre Dame already had six ACC league games for 2020 as part of its scheduling agreement with the conference, including Clemson. The Irish add Florida State, Boston College, Pittsburgh and North Carolina. Currently, Notre Dame has nonconference games scheduled against Arkansas, Navy and Western Michigan. Only the Navy game is on the road, and is scheduled for Sept. 5 after having been moved from Ireland.

The new scheduling arrangement follows months of discussions about the best way to handle the fall sports season. The league's medical advisory group has put forth minimum standards for each campus to follow -- including weekly testing for contact sports, standards for reporting positive tests and protocols for cleaning and sanitizing competition areas.

"As we look ahead to the fall, the safety of our students, staff and overall campus community continues to be our top priority," said Kent Syverud, chancellor of Syracuse University and the chair of the ACC board of directors. "Today's announcement outlines a specific path for ACC fall sports to return to intercollegiate athletic competition using comprehensive protocols put forward by our ACC Medical Advisory Group. As a league, we understand the need to stay flexible and be prepared to adjust as medical information evolves in conjunction with local and state health guidelines."

In addition to football, the six other ACC fall Olympic sports may begin Sept. 10. Team sports will play a conference schedule that meets the NCAA minimum amount of games: field hockey (6), women's soccer (6), men's soccer (6) and volleyball (10). Any additional games can be played at the school's discretion. Any additional conference games played beyond the minimum would not count in the league standings.

Competition in swimming and diving, indoor track and field, and fencing will be postponed until at least Sept. 10. Fall competition in men's and women's golf, men's and women's tennis, rowing, men's and women's lacrosse, softball and baseball has been canceled. Student-athletes in golf and tennis continue to be eligible to compete unattached.

The league membership, and its medical advisory group, will continue to meet on a weekly basis to share information and discuss medical issues related to the ACC's return to play. The ACC Board of Directors will make any adjustments that need to be made in the future.
2716873, SEC going conference only, and delaying start of season (link);
Posted by dillinjah, Thu Jul-30-20 05:03 PM
I'm annoyed they didn't go to the +1 model like the ACC to allow in state rivalries.

Hopefully UF gets Auburn (who they traditionally played annually until the SEC expanded) instead of Bama.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29566090/sec-play-10-game-conference-only-football-schedule

The SEC presidents and chancellors on Thursday approved a 10-game, conference-only football schedule for the fall that begins Sept. 26.

The full schedule will be announced at a later date. The revised schedule, which was altered because of the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, increases the SEC's usual conference slate of eight league games, which includes six divisional foes, one permanent cross-divisional foe and one rotating cross-divisional foe.

Sources told ESPN that one proposal heavily discussed for the two additional league games is to add each school's cross-divisional rotating opponents for the 2021 and 2022 seasons. For instance, Alabama would add Florida and Vanderbilt, and Georgia would add Arkansas and Mississippi State. The plan must be approved by athletic directors.

EDITOR'S PICKS

CFP evaluating protocols amid schedule changes

ACC sets 11-game slate, includes Notre Dame
The SEC title game is scheduled for Dec. 19, two weeks later than planned, at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta. The schedule includes one open date for each school in the middle of the season, as well as an open date on Dec. 12 for all teams.

The SEC made the changes to allow for "maximum flexibility in making any necessary scheduling adjustments while reacting to the developments around the pandemic and continued advice from medical experts," the conference's announcement said.

"This new plan for a football schedule is consistent with the educational goals of our universities to allow for the safe and orderly return to campus of their student populations and to provide a healthy learning environment during these unique circumstances presented by the COVID-19 virus," commissioner Greg Sankey said in a statement. "This new schedule supports the safety measures that are being taken by each of our institutions to ensure the health of our campus communities."

The SEC became the fourth Power 5 conference this month to alter its schedule in order to provide more flexibility during the pandemic, joining the Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC. The Big Ten and Pac-12 previously said they would also play a conference-only schedule. The Pac-12 is expected to announce the details of its plan on Friday.

The ACC announced Wednesday it would use an 11-game schedule, which includes FBS independent Notre Dame, playing a full league schedule made up of 10 conference games and one nonconference game -- a model that was impacted by the SEC's decision, which cancels the traditional regular-season rivalry games between the ACC and SEC: Georgia-Georgia Tech, Florida-Florida State, Kentucky-Louisville and South Carolina-Clemson.

Sankey said it's "regrettable" that those traditional rivalries won't happen in 2020, "but these are unique, and hopefully temporary circumstances that call for unconventional measures."

The ACC decided on its plus-one model as a way to accommodate the four ACC/SEC rivalry games. Syracuse athletics director John Wildhack, who was on a video conference call before the SEC announced its decision, said it was important for the league to support those rivalry games.

"If you can do things as a collective body and group that can benefit schools where it is important, I'm inclined to try to be a good partner and support that," he said. Asked if the SEC choosing a conference-only schedule would alter the ACC's format, Wildhack said, "In my opinion, no."

Texas A&M athletic director Ross Bjork said the SEC's discussion surrounding the rivalry games "was the tough part of this because obviously those games mean a lot to those four SEC programs."

"They obviously had to stand up for that, and believe in that," he said, "and it just came down to the shortened window of the season, and how do you get in as many games in as possible, knowing that you need to start later, and it just came down to a calendar issue where we're basically playing 10 games over a 12-week period, and there just wasn't room in order to give everyone the best chance to play as many games as possible. Those programs, they stood their ground and it was a great conversation. It just didn't fit."

The SEC's decision also resulted in the cancellation of several other marquee nonconference matchups that had been scheduled for the fall, including LSU-Texas and Tennessee-Oklahoma.

Alabama coach Nick Saban said in a statement the conference-only option is "the best option" to keep the players and staff safe while preserving "the integrity of the season."

"The safety of our team will be our highest priority throughout the season, but we are also excited that our players will have the opportunity to compete and play this season," Saban said. "I want to thank the leadership from our administration, our medical staff, the SEC and all of the medical experts that are guiding us through this process."

The SEC reiterated in its release that any student-athletes in all sports who choose not to participate this season because of health or safety concerns related to COVID-19 will continue to have their scholarships honored and remain in good standing with their team.

The Big 12 is the lone Power 5 conference that hasn't determined its schedule for the fall, but its presidents will meet on Monday and will consider four or five models, according to commissioner Bob Bowlsby.

On Monday, Louisiana-Monroe athletic director Scott McDonald told ESPN that all 10 schools in the Sun Belt had entered the week with the hopes of playing a full 12-game schedule but that it was "certainly watching" the SEC.

With the SEC's decision to go to a conference-only schedule, Louisiana-Monroe lost games against both Arkansas and Georgia -- totaling a loss of $3.2 million in guaranteed revenue from an operating budget of $15.5 million.

"It is certainly recoverable, but it's significant," McDonald said. "It's material. It's like in your household if you suffered a cut in about 20% income, you'd have to make some decisions. Is it significant? Yes, but we certainly will continue on if we have to make those adjustments."

ESPN's Mark Schlabach, Chris Low and Andrea Adelson contributed to this report.
2716937, aside from the fact having a season at all is a bad idea
Posted by will_5198, Fri Jul-31-20 11:34 AM
these hypothetical schedules would be pure cannibalism in the SEC.
2717257, well, *if* there's a season, Vols would take an L getting A&M & Auburn
Posted by dillinjah, Fri Aug-07-20 11:29 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised UF didn't hypothetically add either Auburn or Bama, tho A&M hypothetically would be a tough one.

That said, it's BS UGA didn't hypothetically end up with LSU
2717279, it won't happen so it doesn't bug me
Posted by will_5198, Sat Aug-08-20 01:23 PM
(and performance in a spring or delayed season where there is a 100-year pandemic occurring unabated in the US is not relevant, really)

but yeah, what I expected for some teams. not sure there is a fair way to do it but the SEC certainly tried their best to protect the top thoroughbreds with national title potential (Alabama, LSU, Georgia).

Arkansas' schedule?

vs. Alabama
vs. Georgia
vs. LSU
vs. Texas A&M
vs. Tennessee
vs. Ole Miss

@ Florida
@ Auburn
@ Mississippi State
@ Missouri

fock.
2716938, SEC all about that Covid spread SPEED
Posted by smutsboy, Fri Jul-31-20 11:51 AM
2717081, Gary Patterson, come on down
Posted by will_5198, Tue Aug-04-20 11:59 AM
Per The Athletic and TCU360:

TCU head coach Gary Patterson issued an apology Tuesday morning, acknowledging he did say the N-word in a conversation with linebacker Dylan Jordan.

The incident between Patterson and Jordan occurred during a practice Sunday. TCU chancellor Victor Boschini told TCU360.com that Patterson had said the racial slur while “trying to ask the players not to use it anymore.” Jordan, a redshirt freshman who is Black, shared his account of the issue in a Twitter post on Monday afternoon and called for repercussions for Patterson’s actions.

TCU’s football team held a locker room meeting on Monday to discuss the incident, and players say they made it clear to Patterson that his use of the word was unacceptable. The Horned Frogs did not practice on Monday in order to take time off and deal with the matter. Patterson said he met with the team’s seniors and leadership council on Monday night for a discussion on how to move forward.

“I apologize for the use of a word that, in any context, is unacceptable,” Patterson said in a statement. “I have always encouraged our players to do better and be better and I must live by the same standards. Our players, past and present have always been the strength of our program. These men are and will always be my motivation and driving force.”
2717126, How on Earth did he get to a place in his mind...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Aug-05-20 08:55 AM
where he thought that was going to go well???
2717120, UConn the first D1 program to cancel football season...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Aug-05-20 07:42 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/without-a-conference-u-conn-suspends-football-in-2020-122329990.html
2717122, the athletes are gonna shut all this shit down.
Posted by Reeq, Wed Aug-05-20 08:34 AM
and good on them for it.
2717125, and just like that...athletes/staff blowing whistle on colorado state.
Posted by Reeq, Wed Aug-05-20 08:46 AM
2717130, how long before advisors start telling potential draft picks to opt out
Posted by Reeq, Wed Aug-05-20 09:33 AM
for health risks...and concentrate on getting ready for the next draft?
2717131, It happened last night
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Aug-05-20 09:50 AM
Micah Parsons skipping this year and heading to the draft

That’s a top 10 type player right there so it’s a big blow.
2717133, oh ok. cant blame em.
Posted by Reeq, Wed Aug-05-20 10:04 AM
2717132, Day and Harbaugh went at it on the B1G teleconference yesterday
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Aug-05-20 09:52 AM
Clearly harb is not expecting there to be a season this year otherwise this battle will end really really ugly for him
2717229, well with all that prohibited extra coaching thats to be expected right?
Posted by cgonz00cc, Fri Aug-07-20 01:57 PM
2717251, of course
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Aug-07-20 05:12 PM
2717140, So if a program doesn’t play this season will the NCAA extend
Posted by calij81, Wed Aug-05-20 12:02 PM
Eligibility for seniors so that they can come back and play next year?
2717268, It’s what they did for 2020 spring athletes
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sat Aug-08-20 10:15 AM
So I imagine they’ll do the same here.

But then do you increase the 85 man roster to account for incoming freshmen?
2717272, MAC is moving football and all fall sports to spring 2021
Posted by calij81, Sat Aug-08-20 11:42 AM
Pac 12 is going to implement a loan program for schools that don’t play football this fall.

The governor of Mississippi implemented a mask requirement to slow the spread so they could have football in the fall.
2717283, while telling everyone how much he hates wearing masks. good job.
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sat Aug-08-20 01:46 PM

>The governor of Mississippi implemented a mask requirement to
>slow the spread so they could have football in the fall.
2717289, it's on brand.
Posted by will_5198, Sat Aug-08-20 02:31 PM
nothing like reluctant action 5 months late!

the season is not happening, nor should it. it's just sports, y'all.
2717315, watching 95% of the cfb fanbase not grasp this
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sat Aug-08-20 09:33 PM
> it's just sports,
>y'all.

and the subsequent vitriol directed at everyone involved (players included) is legit starting to frighten me
2717318, its crazy how much the overton window has shifted.
Posted by Reeq, Sat Aug-08-20 11:51 PM
a few months ago...people were saying its all about the safety of the players...if its not safe enough to bring all of the students back to the university then its not safe enough to play college sports.

now its...forcing players to sign medical waivers absolving the university of liability related to covid...no real mitigation plan or testing regimen...hide the data from the public...stop being selfish and thinking about you and your familys health and just get out there and save muh college football (without being paid)...etc...
2717323, this is the part that makes me question my own sanity
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sun Aug-09-20 09:33 AM
>stop being selfish and thinking about you and your
>familys health and just get out there and save muh college
>football (without being paid)...etc...

the players are SELFISH PUSSIES because they won't give me my entertainment? as I watch risk-free on my couch?

what?
2717325, this real shouldn’t be a surprise...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sun Aug-09-20 01:44 PM
>> it's just sports,
>>y'all.
>
>and the subsequent vitriol directed at everyone involved
>(players included) is legit starting to frighten me
2717346, surprise or not, it doesnt make it any less disturbing
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon Aug-10-20 08:12 AM
>>> it's just sports,
>>>y'all.
>>
>>and the subsequent vitriol directed at everyone involved
>>(players included) is legit starting to frighten me
>
2717343, this is standard
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Aug-10-20 07:45 AM
2717334, All hell breaking loose. Power 5 commish's having emergency meetings
Posted by CherNic, Sun Aug-09-20 07:15 PM
2717336, players have all the leverage.
Posted by will_5198, Sun Aug-09-20 07:58 PM
lawyers should be all over this on their behalf. the universities frankly didn't even think this through, they just figured it'd be gone in August.
2717342, data about the long term effects on the heart is starting to trickle out.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Aug-10-20 07:20 AM
and even healthy asymptomatic people could be incurring unseen damage.

i mentioned it here.
https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2716666&mesg_id=2716666&listing_type=search#2717003

they said this is one of the things that stopped people in their tracks and really changed the convo.

once more of this info becomes publicly available...i they were are gonna see a lot more athletes opt out and more organizations just foregoing activity because of the potential health/legal implications once everyone knows theyre aware of the newer risks.
2717344, This virus has highlighted the lack of leadership throughout society
Posted by Frank Mackey, Mon Aug-10-20 08:05 AM
I mean, is this meeting with the Commissioners the first time they have all gotten together and discussed any kind of strategy?

From what I understand, Barry Alvarez is at the forefront of making this decision. Why is he concerned now with what other conferences are doing and wanting to get on the same page?

The lack of planning and foresight is unbelievable.
2717345, as you said, it's par for the course
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon Aug-10-20 08:11 AM

>The lack of planning and foresight is unbelievable.

what confuses me is how just a few days ago they put out schedules and now...this?

the players and coaches have been putting in work everyday...this is a pretty fucked up thing to do to them.
2717348, crazy part is we already have outbreaks on campuses
Posted by Reeq, Mon Aug-10-20 09:11 AM
and people are still focused on what negative outcomes might happen during the season.

theyre already happening.

if 10s of athletes were testing positive at a single clip in the nba like they are on college campuses...that shit would be shut down the next day.

just the intentional lack of data/result transparency by colleges should be reason not to go forward. if you feel the need to hide whats going on...then you know you shouldnt be doing that shit.
2717351, Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields with the ultimate RPO
Posted by will_5198, Mon Aug-10-20 09:38 AM
#WeWantToPlay

(Oh yeah, we also want a players union so we have a seat at the table in these discussions)

the Danny Kannell and Joel Klatt high-fiving got real dumbfounded when they read the rest of the message
2717354, shit is hilarious.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Aug-10-20 09:42 AM
2717355, I used to like klatt but his covid takes got real nauseating
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon Aug-10-20 10:37 AM
>Joel Klatt high-fiving got real

he keeps saying that cfb players have a better chance of getting hit by lightening than dying from covid.

is it really that hard to understand that lightening isn't contagious?
2717358, hes turning into Clay Travis
Posted by HecticHavoc, Mon Aug-10-20 10:50 AM
>>Joel Klatt high-fiving got real
>
>he keeps saying that cfb players have a better chance of
>getting hit by lightening than dying from covid.
>
>is it really that hard to understand that lightening isn't
>contagious?

they are comparing car accidents to covid deaths. pathetic. "WE DONT BAN CARS!!"
2717362, they all lowkey love clay travis.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Aug-10-20 10:56 AM
for waging the culture wars they wish they could wage. dave portnoy is a cult favorite of theirs too.

you can pretty much tell how all these dudes voted based on their reaction to this virus lol.

2717359, games are also cancelled because of...lightning.
Posted by will_5198, Mon Aug-10-20 10:51 AM
2717361, lol
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon Aug-10-20 10:55 AM
we can start blame liberal snowflakes for lightening delays
2717356, *swipe* Sources say Big 10 pulls the plug on season
Posted by CIPHA, Mon Aug-10-20 10:43 AM
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2020/08/10/big-ten-football-cancels-season-michigan-michigan-state/3332277001/

If this is true, is this the beginning of the end for Fall 20?
2717357, :(
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Aug-10-20 10:46 AM
maybe they'll have a better handle on this by basketball season...lol
2717360, thats effectively the end of college football.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Aug-10-20 10:53 AM
do you really wanna be a conference thats still trooping it out when other conferences are getting good pr for putting their athletes safety at the forefront (really about the potential litigation but you know...).

shit do you even wanna be the last conference to cancel and look like you just did it because everyone else did?
2717366, man the SEC is trying to assemble a 1 year super conference
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Aug-10-20 11:26 AM
just to get this thing going.
they'll be the last conference to cancel
2717367, I had thought that the talk was the all five conferences were going...
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Aug-10-20 11:45 AM
...to release a joint statement cancelling their seasons, so that way no one had to be first or last to make the decision. Oh well.
2717381, Though Frost says loud and proud Nebraska would go independent
Posted by Nodima, Mon Aug-10-20 05:59 PM
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29634231/scott-frost-says-nebraska-prepared-look-all-options-including-playing-big-ten

"The leadership at the University of Nebraska has been incredible," Frost said. "The guys that I've worked with, from the governor to Ted Carter to Ronnie Green, Bill Moos and others, we're committed to play football at the University of Nebraska. I think our university is committed to playing football any way we possibly can, regardless of what anybody else does. I look forward to the opportunity to let our guys get on the field and show the progress they've made in a safe environment."

This is a really bad look from my guy, but he's from small town western Nebraska so I'm also not surprised. This is praise for the same governor that threatened to sue Omaha if our mayor and health director instituted a mask requirement in the city, despite Omaha being the only of America's 100 largest cities to NOT have a mask requirement and one of 11 cities on Dr. Birx's watch list for huge spikes in coming weeks.

But like I said above, this isn't entirely MAGA's fault. This football team, even compared to some SEC schools, is many citizens' only source of pride in themselves and their state. People who are loudly blue and anti-opening anything came out the woodwork to cheer the release of the Husker football schedule.

~~~~~~~~~
2717376, espn posted this article on the heart issue tied to covid.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Aug-10-20 05:10 PM
already found in several players.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29633697/heart-condition-linked-covid-19-fuels-power-5-concern-season-viability

yeah thats a wrap.

good luck to anyone tryna push kids out on the field/court while this information becomes more public. lawyers already salivating over a 8-9 figure class action suit.
2717377, my prediction: lawsuits will rain down anyway.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Aug-10-20 05:24 PM
even on the conferences/schools who quit early. even with the waivers players were forced to sign.

you got kids out here who most likely incurred lifelong heart damage when you called them back on campus without proper infection prevention measures? yeah these parents bout to get busy.
2717380, wapo: “it may end your sports career.”
Posted by Reeq, Mon Aug-10-20 05:45 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/08/athletes-coronavirus-heart-complications/

i wonder how much this is gonna affect pro sports too.

how many players willing to risk their heart/career in a bubble-less situation?
2717383, Mountain West Conference just announced they are postponing
Posted by calij81, Mon Aug-10-20 07:35 PM
2717432, man these coaches dont give a fuck lol.
Posted by Reeq, Tue Aug-11-20 08:01 AM
these kids are safer here (where 20 of their teammates have already tested positive) than they are at home.

that white paternalism in college football is something.
2717438, I don't think this is really about player safety anyway
Posted by 3xKrazy, Tue Aug-11-20 09:30 AM
so the health related conversations seem non productive and kind of exhausting at this point

>these kids are safer here (where 20 of their teammates have
>already tested positive) than they are at home.
2717456, Big 10 coaches are a trip, they are about to rebel against
Posted by calij81, Tue Aug-11-20 12:22 PM
Their own conference and create their own sub Big 10 conference.

Frost, Franklin, Day and Harbaugh are all out here talking about playing and if the Big 10 doesn’t play they will find a way to play on their own?!?!

As you said in that other thread, Frost would probably benefit from not playing at all. What is he and Nebraska going to do? Go play with the SEC? That should work out well for Nebraska and Frost.
2717462, big ten football canceled for fall. will shoot for spring.
Posted by Reeq, Tue Aug-11-20 01:47 PM
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1293256841296842759

as more myocarditis info comes out...along with the fall/winter wave of the virus...i wouldnt bet on spring either.
2717463, I expect the Pac 12 to be the next conference to postpone
Posted by calij81, Tue Aug-11-20 02:21 PM
2717465, yeah they were pretty much hinting at postponing a day or two ago.
Posted by Reeq, Tue Aug-11-20 02:34 PM
cuz they actually listen to their doctors out there in the west lol.

the big ten was the big question with all of them coaches putting pressure on the presidents.
2717467, The Big 10 is a big domino to fall but the biggest question is the SEC
Posted by calij81, Tue Aug-11-20 02:45 PM
And the Big 12. Those schools are all mostly in ruby red states or states trump won in 16.
2717474, yep...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-11-20 03:26 PM
>And the Big 12. Those schools are all mostly in ruby red
>states or states trump won in 16.
2717505, big 12 says they're going forward with trying to play
Posted by 3xKrazy, Tue Aug-11-20 08:14 PM
>And the Big 12. Those schools are all mostly in ruby red
>states or states trump won in 16.
2717468, pac 12 just canceled too.
Posted by Reeq, Tue Aug-11-20 03:02 PM
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1293274058780487680
2717464, Yeah, they all gotta postpone now to try to salvage a Playoff
Posted by CIPHA, Tue Aug-11-20 02:26 PM
2717538, Big 12 says full speed ahead
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Aug-12-20 01:43 PM
lets see how it goes i guess
2717542, Lou Holtz, folks...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Aug-12-20 02:39 PM
“When they stormed Normandy, they knew that there were going to be casualties, there was gonna be risk,” Holtz continued. “Two percent of the people that go to the emergency room go for COVID-19. But young people, Bill, they think it’s like cancer. They think they’re gonna die.”
2717556, that first SEC kickoff shall be known as coviD-Day (c) Lou
Posted by will_5198, Wed Aug-12-20 06:06 PM
2717557, lol...why do people still let him and Ditka speak into microphones?
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Aug-12-20 06:59 PM
2717562, It rhymes with bright
Posted by calij81, Wed Aug-12-20 09:01 PM
2717560, I honestly didn’t know he was still alive he seemed so old...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Aug-12-20 08:01 PM
in the late 80’s/early 90’s when his Notre Dame squads were relevant
2717857, Man he was slurring like Trump a DECADE ago
Posted by Nodima, Mon Aug-17-20 08:12 PM
It used to be the old dorm room go-to to get stoned and do a Lou Holtz if your jokes weren't landing right. I haven't had cable since around that time so I haven't heard from Lou in forever but yea, the fact he's even alive is...news. Good for him?

~~~~~~~~~
2717561, I can't see the B1G and Pac 12 sitting out while others are playing
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Aug-12-20 08:39 PM
but the world grows stranger by the day so who knows...
2717563, I don’t know how they change course now
Posted by calij81, Wed Aug-12-20 09:03 PM
You have the Big Ten, Pac 12, MAC and MWC all sitting out.

I am still somewhat surprised that the ACC is going to play only because I thought the northern schools wouldn’t play.
2717564, you don't know how the sec/acc/big 12 changes course?
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Aug-12-20 09:35 PM
it's pretty easy.

in the same abrupt and easy way the big 10 and pac 12 announced a schedule and then 3 days later cancelled their season.
2717565, No, I meant I don’t know how the Big 10 and Pac 12 change course
Posted by calij81, Wed Aug-12-20 09:48 PM
It should be relatively for the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 to change course but their coaches, admin, fans and citizens of their states won’t allow it so it isn’t as easy as it should be for them to cancel.
2717589, I should've clarified my statement
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Aug-13-20 10:45 AM
I think the SEC, Big 12, and ACC will all eventually cancel as well. And I think that played into the decision making process for the B1G and Pac.

What's interesting is that OSU was the first major university to cancel classes and send kids home. Everyone went bonkers about it at the time (similar to the response from cancelling football) but within a few weeks every other university in the country followed suit.

But regular students at B1G schools are still moving into dorms right now. A fact which is kind of hard to reconcile.
2717859, I can't believe Nebraska got students' parents to sign an open letter also
Posted by Nodima, Mon Aug-17-20 08:14 PM
It's the first time in a decade or so we feel like a true "program" again, but not like this, not like this...

~~~~~~~~~
2717566, northern schools are just along for the ride in the ACC
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Aug-12-20 10:02 PM
Duke, UNC, State and now Clemson run the conference. plus you know ND was ready to play.

and a Duke physician said they think its safe to play. so that was a dead give away they'd try
2717848, Duke, UNC, and State are way too mediocre to be this pressed about football
Posted by DJR, Mon Aug-17-20 07:00 PM
I’m shocked at Duke. The hell do they care so much for?
2717590, at least a dozen ncaa athletes have myocarditis as a result of covid.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Aug-13-20 10:54 AM
https://twitter.com/pinepaula/status/1293900327608102913
-----
NCAA Chief Medical Officer Dr. Brian Hainline says on morning press call that 1 to 2 percent of athletes at NCAA institutions have tested positive for COVID-19; at least a dozen have been later found to have the heart condition myocarditis
-----

imagine being a coach or college president and having no qualms about trotting these kids out there with this knowledge.
2717818, school reopenings going great.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Aug-17-20 02:58 PM
https://twitter.com/dailytarheel/status/1295447961477033985
-----
BREAKING: One week into the semester, UNC-Chapel Hill announces that it is transitioning all undergraduate classes to fully online instruction, effective Wednesday.

Story to come. Check this thread soon.
-----

we gotta be the dumbest country in the industrialized world.
2717846, UNC still playing sports though!
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon Aug-17-20 06:08 PM
this some wild shit
2717852, It is going to take multiple players being hospitalized or dying
Posted by calij81, Mon Aug-17-20 07:48 PM
For these leagues to postpone
2717864, i was about to reply with the exact same thing.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Aug-17-20 09:16 PM
2718082, espn is so fake and fickle.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Aug-20-20 06:21 AM
a week ago most of the big on air personalities were applauding conferences for listening to medical experts and putting players health first when they canceled/postponed their seasons.

now theyre crying bloody murder that teams cant be mercenaries and still play games independent of their conference.

the word must have been handed down from corporate headquarters that cfb pays some of these folks salaries.
2718109, ESPN is going full Fox News stupid over this issue
Posted by calij81, Thu Aug-20-20 01:51 PM
2718115, fam its so goofy how blatantly inconsistent they are.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Aug-20-20 02:56 PM
2718118, I have talking heads on mute
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Aug-20-20 03:29 PM
this whole situation is really messy and exhausting at this point. not interested in anyone's commentary.
2718110, This documentary looks cringey in a decade
Posted by Kira, Thu Aug-20-20 02:04 PM
No data exists for long-term ramifications of coronavirus exist so it's dumb to play at this point.

Is it true the SEC is allowing fans in stafiums?
2718117, this quote from a member of the ncaa covid19 medical board
Posted by Reeq, Thu Aug-20-20 03:02 PM
'i feel like the titanic. we have hit the iceberg and we're trying to make decisions of what time should we have the band play.’

they all know whats coming. the data about the effects on the heart even in mild and asymptomatic cases is starting to pile up.

its just like the response from our federal government tho. they dont care. they just want that money to keep flowing.

its gonna take a kid going into cardiac arrest on the field for them to finally be shamed into caring.
2718122, They are going to need to see Trevor Lawrence on a ventilator
Posted by calij81, Thu Aug-20-20 04:28 PM
Before they cancel the season.
2718114, georgia state qb has heart condition as a result of covid.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Aug-20-20 02:54 PM
https://twitter.com/wingoz/status/1296486281405501440

i mean...schools have all of this information. its public now. everything happening now is willful neglect.
2718182, tailgating at FSU this season is good to go
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Aug-21-20 08:50 AM
https://www.tomahawknation.com/2020/8/20/21377270/florida-state-seminoles-tailgating-football-tallahassee-2020

knock yourself out guys
2718933, This dingus is trying to force the Big 10 into starting their season ASAP
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Sep-01-20 05:52 PM
I imagine he wants:

1. To campaign in swing states like Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin that he's the reason college football is back.

2. He wants to show up to college football games with the belief that they'll give him a standing ovation.

Fuck off, guy.
2718938, the B1G is drowning in incompetence and this is a no brainer for trump
Posted by 3xKrazy, Tue Sep-01-20 07:21 PM
win or lose he becomes a hero in those states

obviously he isn't pressing the PAC 12 to get started...
2718939, dude got mad at this biden ad lol.
Posted by Reeq, Tue Sep-01-20 07:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qbrva10uhU&feature=emb_title

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/1300943909393108992
-----
Amazing: Biden ad referencing Big 10 football shutdown “prompted frustrated White House aides to start talking about how Trump could play a role in getting the Big Ten’s teams back on the field to salvage a season and mute Biden’s attack.”
-----
2718934, so are the college football fans in here going to watch?
Posted by RandomFact, Tue Sep-01-20 06:08 PM
seems like not giving the NCAA ratings would be a good idea.
2718960, Some of the people who boycotted the NFL over Kaep
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Sep-02-20 05:38 AM
have no problems watching college football.

which is weird af
2718971, the NFL is horrible
Posted by RandomFact, Wed Sep-02-20 12:14 PM
but somehow the NCAA seems much worse. it's almost unfathomable how bad both organizations are. just horrible people.
2718976, sports is full of horrible people at every level
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Sep-02-20 02:00 PM
>but somehow the NCAA seems much worse. it's almost
>unfathomable how bad both organizations are. just horrible
>people.

ultimately you have to do what makes you most comfortable but im not sure how watching XYZ sport but protesting cfb makes a lot of sense
2718972, yeah if it’s on I’ll be watching
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Sep-02-20 12:48 PM
2718973, I'll be watching.
Posted by dillinjah, Wed Sep-02-20 01:05 PM
2718970, OSU player shot in the face (link)
Posted by theMindofFury, Wed Sep-02-20 12:02 PM
Does the story sound weird or fishy to anyone? A football player gets shot in the face, near campus, walks home alone, tells the cops he broke up an argument between a random man and woman and the guy immediately pulled a gun and fired on him?

https://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/20200831/ohio-statersquos-haskell-garrett-told-police-he-was-shot-while-trying-to-break-up-fight
2719137, shit 1/3 of big 10 athletes who tested poz for covid got myocarditis.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Sep-03-20 03:15 PM
symptomatic or not.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1301557287778004992

i knew it was an issue but didnt know it was this bad.

you wanna know what the titanic looks like...this is it.

i also think they wanted to try their best to keep the full magnitude of the problem under wraps for as long as possible but all of the pressure from media/parents/boosters/trump/etc forced em to fire this off so everyone can stfu up.
2719141, nearly 1/2 of power 5 schools are hiding covid results.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Sep-03-20 04:00 PM
https://twitter.com/pinepaula/status/1301548544533434374

nothing to see here im sure. theyre just protecting the athletes.
2719207, CFB is the closest thing the SEC and south has of slavery
Posted by calij81, Thu Sep-03-20 09:30 PM
So they are going to fight hard to protect this last peculiar institution.
2739828, Joe Pa step aside...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Jun-10-21 03:04 PM
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31599673/bo-schembechler-son-says-father-knew-michigan-doctor-abuse