Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectWatch what Andy Reid does with Shea Patterson
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2714566
2714566, Watch what Andy Reid does with Shea Patterson
Posted by allStah, Mon May-04-20 12:28 AM
A lot of people on this board rated Patterson as a very low NFL QB prospect. However, this kids ability to scramble and run is better than any incoming NFL rookie QB. And that translates into how Qbs are playing in the NFL. I had/have nothing but positive things to say about Shea, and you can check all the college posts on that.

Andy Reid is smart as hell. He always has a backup QB Plan. As great as Mahomes is, all it takes is one injury or whatever, but Reid, like always, will have a QB ready to go. You saw it with Matt Moore last season when Mahomes was our for about 3 weeks

And my bears? no back up plan. Trubisky's option was not picked up, so he will not be here, and Foles is mr. glass......We have nothing after that......nothing.

2714567, Shea Patterson either blows or Jim Harbaugh is THAT bad
Posted by Tiger Woods, Mon May-04-20 06:49 AM

all we heard coming into last year was that Michigan had lured away some untapped dual threat diamond in the rough. That Michigan offense was one of the most uninspired college offenses I've ever seen, and there was no semblance of Patterson being a dual threat athlete. He almost never did anything with his legs. He didn't have to resemble Mike Vick, but he wasn't even Drew Brees.

All that said, you're right that if anyone can squeeze juice out of that fruit it's Andy Reid. I honestly have no clue if Patterson can pass but he can probably do a lot of things similar to what Sean Payton does with Taysom Hill (albeit in an even more explosive offense in KC than in NO).

Also very intrigued what Pederson has in store for Jalen Hurts who's an obviously better athlete than Patterson but isn't a good passer.
2714571, the former.
Posted by will_5198, Mon May-04-20 09:04 AM
this is the only Shea Patterson video you need to see:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1251177188918951944
2714576, look at that escapability
Posted by Ceej, Mon May-04-20 09:28 AM
2714579, If he can throw to his first read, he’s fine
Posted by bshelly, Mon May-04-20 09:35 AM
Not great, not good, but fine. If that first read is covered though, your team is toast. Not the best quality for an NFL QB.
2714592, RE: If he can throw to his first read, he’s fine
Posted by allStah, Mon May-04-20 12:31 PM
That's all coaching.

He has arm strength, speed, and can keep plays alive. You can't teach that.
2714616, Wilton Speight and Jake Rudock got NFL paychecks last year
Posted by cgonz00cc, Tue May-05-20 01:20 PM
the coaching is fine

Patterson's problem is that he only runs when he is explicitly told to run. He was terrible as a read option QB and almost as bad at recognizing running lanes from the pocket.

Hes a guy that looks great in practice with the coaches in his ear, but when he sees a curveball on Saturday, the situation quickly degrades.
2714594, Haha.. he did throw a TD in the play
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon May-04-20 01:12 PM
but yeah, dude had a clean pocket and ran towards the rush.

That Michigan offense was brutal most of the year.
2714617, ugh. Bredeson and Ruiz pancaked a stunt on a pass play
Posted by cgonz00cc, Tue May-05-20 01:22 PM
and Patterson runs right at the only DL still on his feet

and lol @ that little white flash of someone frantically waving his arms at the bottom of the screen
2714618, Lol...it was the RB, who got a clean release...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue May-05-20 02:16 PM
and was open over the middle... instead, Patterson almost got that receiver put in the hospital.
2714589, I guess you didn't see the Penn State game
Posted by allStah, Mon May-04-20 11:24 AM
That is when Michigan turned it around offensively, even though they lost. He was very good in that game.
2714620, also...Shea has had weapons
Posted by will_5198, Tue May-05-20 03:54 PM
on his sophomore Ole Miss team he had:

WR AJ Brown -- 11-game starter for TEN, 1051 yards, 8 TD
WR DK Metcalf -- 15-game starter for SEA, 900 yards, 7 TD
WR Van Jefferson -- 2020 2nd rounder for LAR
WR DaMarkus Lodge -- CIN practice squad
TE Dawson Knox -- 11-game starter for BUF, 388 yards, 2 TD

plus RB Jordan Wilkins (IND back-up, 307 yards, 2 TD) in the backfield. oh, and OT Greg Little (CAR). SEVEN damn NFL players on the same offense!

he still couldn't complete 59% of his passes and had a 6-5 TD-INT ratio in the SEC. what was Michigan getting, exactly?
2714677, Shea magic!
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu May-07-20 03:51 PM
would be off the charts hilarious if he balled out in the NFL but that seems like a very low percentage play.
2714577, shea trash.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon May-04-20 09:31 AM
2714590, RE: shea trash.
Posted by allStah, Mon May-04-20 11:25 AM
Hmm, who should I pay attention to ,Brooklynwhat or Andy Reid?

I'm conflicted. I really don't know who I should pay attention to.

You also said Jacob Eason was trash and wouldn't get drafted....
2714578, Absolutely nothing. He’s sorry.
Posted by bshelly, Mon May-04-20 09:33 AM
2714621, College does not always translate to what a QB is going to do
Posted by allStah, Tue May-05-20 04:13 PM
on the next level.

We've seen tons of QBs suck on the College level, but evolve on the pro level after getting the proper coaching. .

We've seen QBs who were bad qbs, like Matt Moore, Ryan Tannehill, etc take off after being put in the right system, or after years of further development.

The kid has some great natural talent. His issues are being able to read, react, and simply making the correct decision as a QB. That can be coached.
2714625, same logic is why I was quietly optimistic about Fromm
Posted by Tiger Woods, Wed May-06-20 06:01 AM
Fromm had barely any weapons last year, and Georgia’s offense struggled to get into their rhythms in same games (loss home to SC, clumsy win home against ND)

But I’ve seen him make plays when he has talent around him and a good back behind him and an offense that has an identity. He’s got size too. I think there’s promise there.

Unfortunately he got drafted to Buffalo who a) already has a QB prospect and b) is an entirely different climate than Athens GA
2714644, RE: same logic is why I was quietly optimistic about Fromm
Posted by allStah, Wed May-06-20 11:41 AM
Yeah, Fromm is a very cerebral player. I heard he is smart as hell.

I can see him evolving in the NFL.
2714660, So in 8 years maybe a team gets lucky?
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed May-06-20 07:45 PM
Cause the dudes you are using as examples didn’t do shit for the teams that drafted them.

If anything KC may be able to get some value for him in a few years in a trade for a 6th rounder.
2716308, Waived
Posted by bshelly, Sat Jul-11-20 07:42 AM
2716309, RE: Waived
Posted by allStah, Sat Jul-11-20 08:43 AM
www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chiefs-re-sign-veteran-matt-moore-and-release-rookie-shea-patterson-per-reports/amp/

It was an experience/insurance move. They cut him to make room for Matt Moore, who they just re-signed. Matt knows the playbook, and kept the team rolling when Mahomes got injured, and will more than likely be the number 2 again. Henne is returning from being out last season, and even though he knows the playbook, don’t know how he is going to play. Also I imagine if they were 100 percent sure about Henne, 35 year old Matt wouldn’t have been re-signed. And they got that XFL guy who played in a similar system, so they want experience for the entire qb depth chart.

Kid never got a chance to practice or work in the system. He was in a perfect situation because of Andy’s ability to develop QBs. Maybe they go back to him later on down the road, but can’t really see another team picking him up right now., and frankly I don’t trust another team to be able to develop him.

I still think he is talented....tough break.

2716310, lol
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sat Jul-11-20 10:59 AM
2716311, jesus.
Posted by Reeq, Sat Jul-11-20 11:21 AM
2716432, shocked
Posted by Ceej, Wed Jul-15-20 08:25 AM