Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI feel like I've been saying goodbye forever...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2714050&mesg_id=2714121
2714121, I feel like I've been saying goodbye forever...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Sun Apr-19-20 09:35 AM
..Tough week, all around.

*RIP Poe. I thought Friday evening was tough enough losing one of the best pups I've ever had. 10 years of service to your community and around the globe, Poe. How many dogs can say that? Such a ham!! Greeted every child and refused to leave anyone out. We've been everywhere, man. Thank you for being strong when I couldn't be. Biggest heart in the business! I'm out here trying to help everyone I can in your spirit.

Then Saturday morning took me out... getting that call... I didn't want to answer 'cause I knew it was "more bad news." I could feel it. Robert Jenkins was called home. Spent months taking care of each other. Trying to capture every ounce of wisdom available, as you aged stubbornly into the ultimate retirement. Fighting over taking ALL of your meds, taking walks, & watching ball games. Laughing at your constantly flirting, only to be astonished by the number of languages I never knew you kept in your repertoire. Checking up on you in the middle of the night because you started wandering, only to find out that you had a girlfriend a few floors down (LOL). I'll miss trolling with you @ family events and sneaking a drink for ol' times sake. You traveled this world at a time filled with hostility towards our people, but you never let it dampen your spirit. Hated that the recent gig took me out to Long Island daily, cutting deeply into our time, but you know I never forgot about you, my guy. We love you, Bob!

*RIP Wendy. You were a kind soul to everyone you encountered. A butterfly riding the wind like Snoopy flying Ace, ready to take out imaginary barons on the prowl. That incredible smile... that spirit. The original Gemini Gypsy!!! I'll keep an eye on Rash for you. BedStuy loves you!

*RIP Delores. Mama Dee, we knew it would be a tough fight, with your previous health concerns. Doesn't make it any easier, but you chose to do it your way. No more pain © Pac. Losing you a few weeks ago had me dizzy for a bit, but I pulled it together. You raised us. You held it down for my Mom when she never knew she needed it, giving her confidence in ways the world may never know. You know Renard and I will always have each other's back, with the rest of the sibs not far behind. We love you.

*RIP Cousin Jimmy. I didn't know you as well as I'd like, but Ummah kept us close with all the stories and laughs. I used to stare 'cause y'all had identical smiles. Modern technology helped bridge the gap, allowing family to reconnect. Give Mary Helen a kiss for me. We love you.

*RIP Macho. Smartest Pup I've ever known. Its been a couple months, now, but it still stings. Getting that call @ work was a shock to my system, but you held on long enough for me to reach you before your final sleep. You held strong when I walked through the doors, showing great strength, but I knew you were tired buddy. That side-car tongue won't be forgotten. I promise to keep an eye on Nat & Tash, making sure we spend a little time on the parkway benches each summer. Love you, Legs McGhee.

*Edit* My bad for being the downer with this post, fam. The past few months have been extremely tough for my family and sometimes the weight of this current health crisis gets to be a bit too heavy, but I'm working on it. I've been trying to find the right words, but still didn't have an outlet. Took a minute to get over the "No Bad News" (© The Wiz) mantra I'd been carrying for the past few months, but I'm cool. No such thing, news is news. What matters is what you do in response. We will get through this.

Please stay safe, healthy, and home.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...