Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectCoach K pushes O’Connell out the door. #brotherhood
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2713749
2713749, Coach K pushes O’Connell out the door. #brotherhood
Posted by DJR, Sat Mar-21-20 05:38 PM
Needed that scholly to go after Towns. Gives a 3 year player and legacy recruit the boot. Class act.
2713750, Amazing how everything here is wrong.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Mar-21-20 05:57 PM
>Needed that scholly to go after Towns.

We haven't offered Towns a scholarship. He's going to OSU. If he was serious about coming to Duke, he'd wait until the roster situation was more clear and K gave him an offer. But... he's not. *shrug*

>Gives a 3 year player
>and legacy recruit the boot.

No, AOC is smartly going elsewhere because when he got more opportunities his sophomore season, his quality of play declined, and even though he began the season as a starter this year (and got more starting chances again at the start of ACC play), he was even *worse* than sophomore year. His defense has been bad every season, his 3-point shooting has slipped ten percent (!!!) every season, and he never passes the ball.

Next year, even if DJ Steward didn't play a minute, AOC would be behind Roach, Goldwire, and Moore in the rotation. His lack of progress on either end of the ball means he'd be low in the rotation. He can either be a starting role player on a different high-major team or a star at the mid-major level. Him going makes perfect sense.

Players who think they'll get better chances anywhere else *should* transfer. They're not getting paid, may as well pursue the best opportunity possible. That's why three players announced they're transferring from Syracuse in the last week. They feel they'd be better off elsewhere. I don't blame them, I don't blame AOC, I don't blame a single transfer ever.

Of course, you knew all this, and this was just a random Duke hate post due to quarantine boredom. I get it.
2713751, Covid-19 will not stop you from being the guardian of Duke
Posted by allStah, Sat Mar-21-20 06:03 PM
P
2713752, There's plenty one can criticize Duke for.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Mar-21-20 06:10 PM
There have been transfers in the past where K clearly didn't give them enough burn imo. Semi Ojeleye, for one. And Lord knows K's been sanctimonious on occasions when he shouldn't have been. (Probably been friends with Boeheim for too long.)

But when a guy stuck around for three seasons and played progressively worse every season despite receiving starting opportunities? Like, K's not going to play him more. So he can either be a Josh Hairston and ride his final season out on the bench, or he can transfer. Transferring makes perfect sense.

It was mostly just funny to suggest that he was pushed out for a guy that we haven't offered a scholarship to, lol.
2713761, He’s allowed to though.
Posted by guru0509, Mon Mar-23-20 08:34 AM
He actually has ties to the university
2713927, *salute*
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Apr-08-20 06:32 PM
Speaking of schools I have ties to, really bummed that DJ Carton didn't work out. Felt like he could've been special under Holtmann.

Still, as long as Holtmann's there, I have faith that the Buckeyes will continue to be good.
2713754, if it ain’t Towns, it’s someone else with them stars in their eyes
Posted by DJR, Sat Mar-21-20 06:17 PM
They’ve got half a new roster coming in and need room for more, so he gets encouraged to go elsewhere to play more. Nice.

2713755, Excited to see the proof of said “encouragement.”
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Mar-21-20 09:03 PM
I guess K “pushed kids out” by not playing them enough, but Syracuse is having a mass transfer exodus for reasons that have nothing to do with their playing time.

Of course, the difference here is that I don’t care that Cuse has a bunch of transfers. Kids should transfer whenever and however they want. Boeheim plays no bench? Go to a smaller school that’ll feature you. Prefer to be on a contender? Go play a role somewhere else. Transferring shouldn’t be stigmatized.

But we need a reason to post some Duke hate, so we’ll reach for this. I dig it, it’s a long offseason, nothing else to look forward to, gotta put our focus somewhere.
2713756, O’Connell played more minutes than the Cuse transfers combined
Posted by DJR, Sat Mar-21-20 09:30 PM
O’Connell was in the mix.

The Cuse transfers...all 3 had different circumstances but none of them played much last year ,and the two that have a chance to ever be players still both have 3 years of eligibility, and with the starting backcourt returning and being only a soph and freshman this year..they bounced.

O’Connell was in the mix the last couple years and was about to be a senior? Kinda different than a soph who got beat out by another soph?
2713757, And yet AOC saw his minutes decrease from soph to jr year.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Mar-22-20 02:28 AM
Despite an increase in early starting opportunities.

Methinks that had a lot to do with his dreadful defense and shooting, and less to do with a nefarious conspiracy to clear the way for a transfer we never offered a scholarship to.

But what do I know? I'm clearly just biased.
2713763, No dog in this... but please never refer to him as "AOC" again.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Mon Mar-23-20 05:54 PM
Thanks
2713790, Should’ve booted Chris Collins after his junior year
Posted by DJR, Wed Mar-25-20 09:21 AM
2713928, not wrong
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Apr-08-20 06:33 PM
2713753, Just passing through, don't mind me
Posted by Beezo, Sat Mar-21-20 06:13 PM
2713759, he sucks and he wasn't gonna play much next year
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Mar-23-20 08:16 AM
either be happy sitting the bench your senior year or go pursue a better opportunity for yourself for the last year you're going to play bball beyond some local semipro shit.
2713760, typical duke bullshit
Posted by guru0509, Mon Mar-23-20 08:30 AM
>Needed that scholly to go after Towns. Gives a 3 year player
>and legacy recruit the boot. Class act.

2713925, Committed to Creighton
Posted by Beezo, Wed Apr-08-20 05:29 PM
2713926, Great spot for him.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Apr-08-20 06:27 PM
He wants to become a better shooter, and he wants to not really play defense. That sort of player is very much Greg McDermott's shit.

May have just been a kid who didn't do well under that sort of magnifying glass-- he had plenty of starting chances this year and last, he just refused to play defense and his shot got progressively worse every year. If it's true that he's not a grad transfer so he'll have to sit next season, then I bet if anyone can get his stroke starter-quality over the course of a season, it's McDermott, one of the best shooting coaches alive.

Wish him the best.
2713929, Agreed, seems like the perfect fit.
Posted by Beezo, Wed Apr-08-20 07:11 PM
>He wants to become a better shooter, and he wants to not
>really play defense. That sort of player is very much Greg
>McDermott's shit.
>
/
2713930, how much coddling does a senior need?
Posted by bshelly, Thu Apr-09-20 07:33 AM
I know nothing about the situation, but if he was still sorry enough to get pushed out, no tears shed. Sports should be a meritocracy.
2713934, K used to get roasted for auto-promoting wack players too.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Apr-09-20 10:54 AM
There’d be some raw talented kid on the bench not really getting minutes as an underclassman, but a dud upperclassman who’d put in his time still got 25+ minutes. And the dud would usually be *okay* but overall a disappointment.

It really wasn’t until the benching of Paulus his senior year that I ever saw K demote a wack upperclassman’s minutes. Then Hairston. And I was super grateful for both.

2713941, Participation trophies are an international joke
Posted by bshelly, Thu Apr-09-20 07:40 PM
Yet people in this thread are arguing for participation playing time.
2713945, they're arguing b/c it's Duke :D
Posted by CherNic, Fri Apr-10-20 09:00 AM