Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectSo, here's my understanding...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2713281&mesg_id=2713385
2713385, So, here's my understanding...
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Mar-12-20 02:24 AM
Which I've gotten from my father, who's a pediatrician.

The problem is that there isn't a lot known. We know it's a type of flu, but it's not something out of "The Stand" or ""I Am Legend." As of now, there's no reason to believe that it's going to destroy the world's population. The most susceptible are the elderly, or people with respiratory issues, or compromised immune systems. If you do get it, stay at home, rest, drink lots of fluids, and all the responsible shit you'd do if you have the flu. If you're in one the vulnerable populations and you get it, see a health care professional.

Rudy Gobert isn't going to drop dead tomorrow. Or the day after that. He'll be isolated and get treatment. He's rich and he has the resources, and he's a 28-year-old, pretty damn healthy basketball player. He's also hasn't necessarily infected every person he came in contact with in the past two weeks or days or however long he's had it. I don't expect everyone who played in the OKC/Jazz game and all the support staff and team employees to come up positive for COVID.

The scary thing about COVID is that we don't know the denominator, and we won't know it for a long time. Right now it looks like the percentage of people who die after getting it is higher than the normal flu, but we don't and can't know right now exactly how many people have it or will get it. I know it sounds grim, but there's going to need to be a much larger sample size to really ascertain how deadly it really is.

Being cautious is smart. Which is why I don't blame NBA for suspending the season. Especially since, by all appearances, the Boston outbreak was likely caused by that BioGen leadershp conference. At this point, it's a liability issue for them.

Don't be like Drumf, and try to Cuban B everything and pretend it's a hoax, but don't assume the end is nigh. Wash your hands and be smart.

Oh, and be prepared for it to be worse by next year. Hopefully there will be a vaccine by then.

And if there's a doctor in the house who wants to correct anything I've said, have at it.