Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectIs it too early start talking about March Madness?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2712927
2712927, Is it too early start talking about March Madness?
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Mar-04-20 06:29 AM
The only conference I really paid attention to this year was the Big Ten. They have 6 teams with 20+ wins and 4 more with 18&19, how many of those teams will actually get into the tournament?
2712929, Nope it’s time
Posted by Beezo, Wed Mar-04-20 11:21 AM
7 get in from the Big Ten
2712933, Terps fan here, and I have no idea what to expect from Big 10
Posted by Tiger Woods, Wed Mar-04-20 01:00 PM
all of these teams are so physical, fundamentally-focused, and defensively-minded...I don't know what to think about the conference's outlook in the tournament.

I could see, say, Iowa going out in the first round OR defensively rebounding their way all the way to the Elite 8.

Did we all make each other better this year? Or are all of these teams going to be exhausted?

definites:

Maryland
Penn State
Michigan state
Illinois
Ohio State
Iowa
Michigan
Wisconsin

and maybe Rutgers at this point too. That would be 9 !
2712935, Was at the game last night, Rutgers thugged em out from the tip.
Posted by Beezo, Wed Mar-04-20 01:29 PM
Couldn’t turn the corner on anybody, so ended up jacking and bricking a bunch of threes. Their defense has gone South.
Big Ten is a slugfest, 9 making the dance is a real possibility.
2712936, Big Ten in the Dance:
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Mar-04-20 01:41 PM
Safely in:

Maryland
MSU
Penn State
OSU
Iowa

Probably in, but vulnerable if they choke:

Wisconsin
Michigan
Illinois

On the right side of the bubble, but very vulnerable:

Rutgers
Indiana

On the wrong side of the bubble, not impossible they get in:

Purdue

The problem is gonna be that these teams down at the bottom will likely cannibalize one another. Rutgers is playing at Purdue. If Purdue wins (they're favored), and then both Purdue and Rutgers lose early in the Big Ten tourney? Both are gone. A win on the road over Purdue would get Rutgers more breathing room but would be a death punch for Purdue, really. Same for Indiana-- they play Wisconsin, but if they beat Wisconsin, the Badgers become more bubbly, yet Indiana still wouldn't be safe.

I think the most likely scenario is 9, as I assume one of Rutgers or Indiana will win out and win a Big Ten tourney game against a definitely NCAA Tourney team (Rutgers being far more likely than Indiana, who has the tougher rest of regular season and the tougher Big Ten Tourney game). I'd say the top eight, assuming no major collapse occurs, are in.
2712938, Meh...I feel like TOSU is stuck on a treadmill...going nowhere
Posted by guru0509, Wed Mar-04-20 05:54 PM
 so it's hard for me to get excited about a potential first or
2nd round exit.

the last coach we had landed a top 5 class in his first
recruiting cycle and had is in the championship game in year
2. so far im underwhelmed ..beating the shit out of michigan
two times in one year is always nice though.

but none of these recruits will play in the NBA. maybe Luther
Muhammad. EJ Liddell is just ok. nothing special to write home
about.

hopefully someone other than Kentucky Duke or Kansas cuts down
the nets

2712975, EJ has been fine when the let him play
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Mar-06-20 07:16 AM

2712993, fine =/= good
Posted by guru0509, Fri Mar-06-20 03:56 PM
>
2712948, Tennessee went from ranked, to bubble, to under the bubble
Posted by will_5198, Wed Mar-04-20 11:05 PM
but I did take immense joy in seeing the Vols come back from 17 points at Rupp Arena last night.

- I've watched 4 of the 6 all-time Tennessee wins at Rupp Arena
- Barnes is the only coach in Tennessee history that has won twice at Rupp
- Cal's first loss at UK while leading by double-digits at half-time (129-1)
2712959, was reading SBJ & they're talking about worst case scenario for the tourney
Posted by CherNic, Thu Mar-05-20 12:37 PM
most drastic is to cancel it of course...maybe playing games with no fans in the stands. That'd be right on par with the way this fucking year is going
2712985, Have tix for S16/E8 again this year, would be real bummer
Posted by calminvasion, Fri Mar-06-20 01:41 PM
Also did the Hotwire with hotels so will be out a grip regardless. Already had someone bail today, we’ve been doing these trips for 15+ years. Never thought a virus would break the streak.
2713503, still no communication about refund
Posted by calminvasion, Sat Mar-14-20 09:43 AM
2712988, I haven't heard anything like this...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Mar-06-20 02:20 PM
>most drastic is to cancel it of course...maybe playing games
>with no fans in the stands. That'd be right on par with the
>way this fucking year is going
2712989, They're absolutely discussing the latter.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Mar-06-20 02:29 PM
I don't think the former is on the table-- there's too much money involved. But they'd still get a *lot* of money if the games air on TV, so they'd follow the model that some countries in Europe and Asia are using with sports right now: have the games, don't let anyone attend, show them on TV.
2712990, it seems drastic, conference tournaments are going on right now, NBA...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Mar-06-20 03:11 PM
games go on every night. I've heard about some smaller schools canceling trips to Seattle but I can't see them playing the NCAA tournament in empty gyms unless it gets really crazy then we'll all have a lot more than basketball to worry about lol.
2712992, Stanford implementing new attendance guidelines - link & swipe
Posted by CherNic, Fri Mar-06-20 03:48 PM
"Limiting public attendance to approximately 1/3 of each venue's capacity through April 15 or until further notice"

https://gostanford.com/news/2020/3/3/stanford-athletics-coronavirus-update.aspx

Stanford Athletics Coronavirus Update
Campus leaders working on updated event attendance guidelines through April 15
03/03/2020 | Athletics
By: Stanford Athletics

In response to the rapidly evolving events surrounding COVID-19 (also called novel coronavirus), Stanford has activated an emergency operations organization focused on coordinating the university's response.

Earlier today, this organization published its first set of information and guidance, which included a recommendation to postpone or adjust large-scale events on campus between March 4 and April 15.

Per this recommendation, Stanford Athletics is currently working with Stanford Environmental Health & Safety to establish attendance guidelines for each competition venue and will limit the number of attendees at our competitions in order to allow for sufficient social distancing. These attendance guidelines will be published here as soon as they are finalized.

At this time, all competitions are scheduled to take place as originally scheduled, albeit with limited public attendance.

Updates regarding Stanford Athletics events will be published here as they become available. Additionally, we encourage you to follow us on Twitter (@gostanford).

General updates will be available for the university community at healthalerts.stanford.edu.
2712994, It will be interesting to see how it all plays out at the ncaa and pro...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Mar-06-20 04:31 PM
levels
2713044, Bron: “I ain’t playing without the fans!”
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Mar-07-20 01:21 PM
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/486428-lebron-james-i-aint-playing-if-there-are-no-fans-due-to
2713483, I should have bet your dumbass some money
Posted by CherNic, Fri Mar-13-20 08:58 AM
2713074, Terps raising that Big Ten championship trophy at center court.
Posted by Beezo, Sun Mar-08-20 02:52 PM
Yea
2713099, I don’t endorse
Posted by Tiger Woods, Sun Mar-08-20 05:45 PM
Don’t know whose idea it was but Turgeon should’ve declined
2713173, You should've had more faith, Beezo! You could've won my money!
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Mar-09-20 01:55 PM
2713181, All the faith in the world! I’ve been saying it all season.
Posted by Beezo, Mon Mar-09-20 03:42 PM
Figured I’d cut you some slack, I’ll take your money on something else.
2713233, lmao, yes, I'm sure that was it.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Mar-10-20 02:00 PM
2713249, Focus on that sweet 16 Duke exit Coming soon
Posted by Beezo, Tue Mar-10-20 06:31 PM
2713258, Does Maryland put up Sweet 16 banners?
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Mar-11-20 01:23 AM
Sincere question, no snark. Whenever Duke loses in the Sweet 16, it’s obviously a crushing disappointment, because we’ve been past that round *so* many times, but I imagine there must be parades in College Park when you make it out of the first weekend. I bet those Sweet 16 parades are a blast! (The one of them you’ve had in the last fifteen years, I mean.)
2713235, Ohio governor calling for games without fans.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Mar-10-20 02:03 PM
Won't be the last one to do so, either. No one believes the numbers from the US government, and everyone sees from China and South Korea that the best way to slow/halt the spread of this is quarantine, cancellation, and isolation. Smart state and federal officials are going to urge ways of stopping this before we as a country get to an Italy situation.
2713248, Tickets to the dance have been punched. 5 more get in tonight
Posted by Beezo, Tue Mar-10-20 06:11 PM
ACC tournament has tipped off, Wake gone fishing.
2713395, Fuck the NCAA...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Thu Mar-12-20 09:46 AM
..and any other org that continues to put lives at risk in favor of lining their pockets with $$$.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2713404, theyll cancel the tourney.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Mar-12-20 10:10 AM
but im surprised they havent cancelled the conference tourney.
it was funny watching ESPN show NBA coaches like "nah this is serious af. shut it down"
then they had Bill Self and all them up there in the postgames like "the kids just want to play. let them"
2713408, Their hesitance/reluctance will likely cost lives...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Thu Mar-12-20 10:45 AM
..Those kids are conditioned to do whatever it takes to play and the NCAA knows it.

Every health org in the world is asking people to do the right thing and these fools continue to ignore it in favor of $$$.

That is malicious intent.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2713413, ‘we gotta go back to the feeling of playing shirts & skins at the park
Posted by Reeq, Thu Mar-12-20 11:31 AM
when the crowd didnt matter’ or some shit like that.

shit sounded like some dystopian midwestern re-education camp indoctrinating a forum full of disposable athlete clones.
2713423, MLB & NHL just shut down today, when you're talking billions of dollars...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Mar-12-20 12:41 PM
coming out out multiple peoples pockets on multiple levels from owners down to popcorn salesmen its hard to just waive shit off.

They're saying caronavirus will bankrupt more people than it kills.
2713428, You just described the better of the two scenarios, though.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Mar-12-20 01:34 PM

>They're saying caronavirus will bankrupt more people than it
>kills.

Because with complete inaction and the degree of infectiousness of this disease, it could very easily swing the other way.

It also doesn't *need* to bankrupt people, because the government could easily put forth relief efforts for small businesses impacted. That said, they won't, because small businesses aren't big banks.
2713429, Duke cancels all sports. Kansas too.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Mar-12-20 01:35 PM
The tournament is effectively cancelled once the blue bloods are out. Even if the NCAA *wanted* to have it, they don't have a choice. More schools will follow.
2713436, Now it’s too late. Tournament cancelled
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Mar-12-20 03:41 PM
2713476, Duke out of the tournament early again
Posted by guru0509, Fri Mar-13-20 08:13 AM
coach k such an underachiever with all that talent
2713539, ^underrated reply
Posted by MaxPtah, Mon Mar-16-20 12:16 PM
2713502, ESPN showing classic madness games.
Posted by Beezo, Sat Mar-14-20 09:37 AM
Stumbled across Iverson’s Hoyas against Allen’s Huskies this morning.
2713506, Making due in self-quarantine
Posted by calminvasion, Sat Mar-14-20 12:57 PM
YouTube has a lot of good full game replays. Watching umbc / Virgina now. Might watch Purdue/ UVa later is I get more morbid. HD too, so looks good on the TV. Not planing on leaving extended stay Corp apt I'm stuck in today