Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectAlmost everyone underestimated just how great Fury is
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2712467&mesg_id=2747988
2747988, Almost everyone underestimated just how great Fury is
Posted by Vex_id, Mon Oct-11-21 11:16 AM
He shocked me (and many others) with his performances in these past two fights. I expected him to out-box Wilder -- but did not expect him to bully Wilder and become the heavier puncher after the first bout. Fury made a clear adjustment after the first fight and just decided he was going to take advantage of being the significantly larger man - and it paid off.

Fury came in at 277 for this third fight, 40 pounds heavier than Wilder who came in at the heaviest of his career (238). Wilder was around 218-220 in the 2nd fight. Wilder clearly bulked up and put on a lot of muscle to try and deal with Fury's size, but it still wasn't enough - and he definitely gassed out earlier than normal because of the tightly-packed muscularity which never holds up well in the later rounds of a boxing match in terms of stamina.

You have to give Fury his props. He is the best HW in the world and the true lineal champ - and remains undefeated. He moves so well for a guy his size and just has an innate ability to out-maneuver/out-point his opponent with slippery defense and well-timed offensive flurries. But I would like to see some discussion of a Super HW division (250+) and a HW division (200-250). Doesn't mean those guys can't still fight each other - but the size differential was crazy in these fights and because of how big HWs are becoming in the modern era (gone are the days when the average HW was 200-220 pounds) - it may be time to explore that.

Wilder has always had stunning, thudding power - but he never mastered the sweet science from a technical standpoint (perhaps because he came into the sport so late). But he deserves tons of props for the heart he showed in going out on his shield, and has squeezed every bit of talent out of himself to become a HW champion - despite coming into the sport later in life and never really having elite tutelage to guide him.

Massive respect to both of these champions. They put it on the line and gave us one of the greatest trilogies in boxing history.
-->