Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subject7 Time World Champion Lewis Hamilton. Let that sink in
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2712423&mesg_id=2725294
2725294, 7 Time World Champion Lewis Hamilton. Let that sink in
Posted by spenzalii, Sun Nov-15-20 08:55 AM
Lots to unpack here, so here we go...

This has to go down as one of Hamilton's Top 10 races. Doing a 1 stop on inters on an ice rink after starting from 6th and winning by 20+ seconds is absolutely amazing. The feel for the car, the tires, the track, the patience to stick in there, and the ability to just keep the car n the track when damn near everyone else had an off or a spin? His ability in the wet is already a known factor, but this was something else entirely that sets him apart from everyone else in the field.

Seven drivers championships. Four straight. Could have been 5 if not for Malaysia or Monza in '16, but I digress. Even if this coronation was a foregone conclusion this season the drive he put in to secure it speaks volumes. All he needed was to finish ahead on Bottas, and since he has a horrible race from the start, that wouldn't have been hard. But to go for the win and get it in such treacherous conditions? I don't ever want to hear any commentator, pundit, driver, past or present, ever to doubt Hamilton's will to win, his skills as a driver relative to the car he's in, or that he's one of the greatest driver in F1. Already winningest by race, likely will be winningest by championship before he retires. Greatest of his generation. GOAT? You can no longer dismiss the idea.

You could hear and see the emotion when he finally crossed the line. This still means something to him. He still has that fight, even being an elder statesman in the field at this point. That should be pretty terrifying to everyone else. Not gonna lie, hearing him tear up after crossing the line and watching him in parc ferme had me in tears a bit. That man made history and looks like me. It's a big deal.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I am actually super happy for Vettel. Even being a lame duck season, it has been a horrible year for him. But he managed to show he still has something in the tank. He made a great start, kept in the top 5 most of the r ace, and capitalized on LeClerc's mistake to get on the podium for the first time in forever. And he was the first one to get to Lewis to congratulate him on the win. It's kind of poetic that Vettel was on the Podium with Hamilton for this one. This also had me a little teary eyed. Maybe he will have a decent year at Aston Martin next year.

A hugely impressive finish for Perez as well. WHile his teammate absolutely lost the plot, Perez had to hold off Max, Lewis, Seb, Charles, all on worn inters while trying his best to stay on the track. Vettel deserved driver of the day, but Checo could have got it and it would have been equally justified. (T)Racing Point had to be sweating bullets on leaving him out there, but considering they threw a podium away last race bringing him in, what were you going to do? I seriously hope he gets a drive next year. If things were fair Stroll would be sacked and Perez keeps the seat. But, life isn't fair. Haas or RB are possible. Wherever he ends up, he'll be worth it.

What to say about Verstappen today? His biggest asset was his worst enemy today: aggression. He really did not need to try and overtake Perez at that stage in the race and spun, effectively ending his chances then and there. Being aggressive kept him in the mix, but still cost him a few offs and spins in the closing stages. Going to slicks would have been a disaster for him. This race just served to illustrate the difference between him and Lewis. Max is still raw, and doesn't have the patience or touch Lewis has, nor the experience to know when to use that aggression. Had Max waited another lap or so he likely could have made that pass on Perez and got on the podium, as the RBs hooked up a lot quicker than everyone else bar Racing Point. He'll learn. This one got away from him and he has nobody to blame but himself.

I'd say Stroll sucks, but that's not fair. Stroll is Stroll. It was a freak set of circumstances that got him on pole, and a good start that got him out there. BUt I don't think there was a person on earth, not even Stroll himself, who thought it could be maintained. To see how far back he fell was a little surprising. Still, for a driver with his skill set this was expected.

Pirelli screwed the pooch on tire compounds this week, for sure. While the rain wasn't something they could control, the freshly surfaced track was something they were completely unprepared for, and everybody suffered, fr better and for worse. Second race of the season their compound choice has been wrong or possibly dangerous.

Even with all the rain, no full safety cars? That's probably the most amazing bit.