Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectEddy Curry's Players Tribune Piece
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2712157
2712157, Eddy Curry's Players Tribune Piece
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Feb-13-20 03:02 PM
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/eddy-curry-nba-the-truth-was-way-worse

I'm not going to swipe this. Give the Players Tribune a click, because they deserve it for the incredible content they put out. This is no different. It's heartbreaking and just an amazing article about how Eddy Curry became a punchline.

Pretty much everyone here is guilty of it, and I think we've all matured and whatnot, but give this article a read. Really well done, as usual.
2712161, damn.
Posted by dillinjah, Thu Feb-13-20 03:24 PM
2712162, man dude went through it, when these young guys come into all this...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Feb-13-20 03:39 PM
money and don't have the right support system that stuff happens. His wife is a real one, its good that she stuck by him and I'm glad that he finally seems to be at peace.
2712164, It really colors that year he was an all star snub
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Feb-13-20 03:51 PM
And he was really hurt over it. I think we all kinda clowned him and said, "I mean it was a longshot and the kNicks are terrible..." but he really thought it was gonna happen and that he deserved it.

To know he didn't wanna even play ball as a kid and then fighting through all the bullshit to become one of the top players in the NBA that year meant SO much to him. In retrospect, it's fucked up people laughed at him for getting that tattoo when he was snubbed.
2712165, RE: man dude went through it, when these young guys come into all this...
Posted by allStah, Thu Feb-13-20 03:56 PM
This is why I never judge a person's life off the court, or call someone a loser in general. I never take it that far.

Even when rooting against players like leborn or kobe, it all stayed on the court, and never any personal attacks. All basketball.

We all have trial and tribulations, and you're not weak or meaningless if they get the best of you, or you are not able to overcome. The human mind and flesh can endure so much, so all outcomes are not the same.

2712163, damn
Posted by kinetic94761180, Thu Feb-13-20 03:44 PM
2712166, I did not see the Vince Young piece that is about a week old
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Feb-13-20 04:52 PM
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/what-the-hell-happened-to-vince-young

man

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
2712169, Yeah that one was great
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Thu Feb-13-20 06:54 PM
Especially for someone who followed him from HS to the NFL. Dude was a myth in Texas HS Football. He had tales like he was Paul Bunyan or something.

And at UT, it was just like he described. It looked like he was just having FUN out there. He just didn't look the same once he got to the NFL.

I hope the last part of the story is true ("He made it happen. He protected his family. He got ’em out."). From what wikipedia says, he's had some major financial problems. But wikipedia isn't real life, so who knows.
2712168, should also listen to the Knuckleheads podcast episode he did
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Feb-13-20 05:18 PM
I knew some of his story coming up, we're the same age and I knew a few people who played with/against him in AAU, but there's so much more.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/knuckleheads-podcast-nate-robinson-eddy-curry

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
2712187, Over/under 1,249 "bro"s from Eddy?
Posted by Ceej, Fri Feb-14-20 10:55 AM
8 mins in, the over looks like an easy cover.
2712186, Considering that I knew Nova and Ava....I'll speak
Posted by DVS, Fri Feb-14-20 09:37 AM
Nova was the 4th generation of the crew that I grew up with in Cal City. Her mother Loni (1st gen) and her aunt Toya (2nd gen) ran heavy with my older brothers.

The news of her murder and the subsequent spectacle surrounding it have left an indelible mark on all of us. TO THIS DAY...Loni doesn't let more than a day go past without invoking the memories of both Nova and Ava...and is on the forefront of victim's rights struggles throughout the country.

I needed to say that to say this...you need to understand that my comment is biased from this side of that senseless violence.

MAAAAAAAAN.....FUCK THIS MAAAAAAAAAAK!!!!!

You really gonna take this tragedy and use it open your puff piece talking about your pain? You a whole goofy. You hiding your children while you move on with your NBA life after EVERYBODY in the South Subs was rooting for your Gump ass. Niggaz packing out Thornwood to see yo bitch ass play...PRAYING to make it to the league. And now...when yo shit went flop and you ain't hot in this bitch no more...now we get you being vulnerable? GTFOH witchyobitchass.

You thought life was forever but it wasn't.
Even in this piece you seem more concerned about your marriage than that murder...Nova and Ava were not footnotes to the greater part of your story. They are testaments to the kind of mark assed busta that those of us who KNEW knew.

I could say more but I want. Rest in power Nova and Ava. You are not forgotten. VG4L

RIP Allen
RIP Optimus

D
2712196, I dont understand what the murders have to do with
Posted by Cenario, Fri Feb-14-20 04:32 PM
What he was getting clowned about.
2712385, nothing. its a sympathy grab for being a bum.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Feb-19-20 10:45 AM
2712206, Heartbreaking
Posted by bshelly, Fri Feb-14-20 09:38 PM
2712374, I know Nova´s mom & siblings, Eddy is a POS
Posted by IsaIsaIsa, Tue Feb-18-20 08:19 PM

www.Tupreme.com
2712384, he got clowned by teammates a lot too..
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Wed Feb-19-20 09:46 AM
...it makes sense that he didn't really ever want to play ball ..his heart (no pun) was never really in it..but with his size he almost had no choice

2712389, RE: he got clowned by teammates a lot too..
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Feb-19-20 01:33 PM
> ...it makes sense that he didn't really ever want to play
>ball ..his heart (no pun) was never really in it..but with his
>size he almost had no choice

You’d be surprised there are a lot of 7 footers in the league like that. If you’re that tall and have any kind of athletic ability and/or coordination you’re almost forced to play
2712390, Yeah, Bynum for sure.
Posted by Ryan M, Wed Feb-19-20 02:33 PM
I dont know if he didnt really WANT to play, but it seemed like it. Once the injuries started, he was just done mentally - which is incredible that he became an all star as a dude who seemingly didnt wanna play.