Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThe Owen Hart DSOTR was devestating
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2709907&mesg_id=2715099
2715099, The Owen Hart DSOTR was devestating
Posted by Oak27, Wed May-20-20 06:07 PM
and it completely made me do a 180 on Martha.

For years Martha has been portrayed (mostly by Bret) as a stubborn, uncompromising widow who wants to detach Owen and her family completely from wrestling even if it means wiping away all of his work and his legacy. While I understood she was obviously hurt and blamed Vince and the WWE, I fully believed she needed to let it go, come to peace and let WWE honor Owen's legacy.

Then Martha pulled out the clip that was holding Owen as he dangled 80+ feet above the ring.

Fuck everybody involved in putting Owen on that catwalk that night. Vince (McMahon and Russo), the rigging company, whoever. Fuck. Them. All.

After listening to Martha (on both the Dark Side ep and Jericho's pod), as well as Oje and Athena, it's clear that she/they have no problem with Owen's legacy being honored and his wrestling career being appreciated, they just have no interest in letting Vince and the WWE profit off of it, be it economically or just on public image. In a way, allowing Vince to put Owen in the HOF (which, as she points out, isn't even a real fucking thing), she would essentially be publicly forgiving Vince/WWE of their responsibility in Owen's death.

Going to go back and read the Owen chapter in Bret's book now that I have some context from Martha's side, but all I can really say about Bret (who is my personal GOAT) is he needs to STFU on this one. Bret's place as Owen's keeper ended the day he and Martha said their I do's and he moved further down the list after his kids were born.

I have so much respect for Martha and those kids for telling the story of their husband/father on their own terms. And god damn that last line by Oje "it was fun, thanks for that" fucking killed me.