Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: Thanks man.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2709907&mesg_id=2713814
2713814, RE: Thanks man.
Posted by Af-1, Thu Mar-26-20 07:18 PM
Goldberg is a fascinating character to me for a few reasons - he always came off as someone that just didn't respect wrestling at all. Even his Austin interview revealed that when he talked about not caring if he lost because it wasn't real competition, etc. I think that lack of respect is something that easily alienates wrestlers as well as fans. But the real interesting thing about Goldberg as relates the Monday Night Wars is that while WCW's star people existed from scooping up WWF guys forcing Vince to create a new breed of headliners like Austin, Rock, Hunter and Foley, the ONE guy that Bischoff created during that period as his own headliner was Bill. And Bill was a strong name in the fight but I honestly can't think of a single other person that WCW created on their own to rival anything WWF was doing.

Yes, the Owen piledriver is horrible. I can't even watch it when replays air. Austin has always been very open about the fact that Owen never reached out to him during his time off which I thought was strange. I thought he was going to ask Bret about it in their interview which would have been interesting.

Obviously I agree with everything you said about Bret. I remember my introduction to wrestling being like 10 Hulk Hogan matches before seeing a Hart Foundation match (my first non-Hogan match) and being in awe of what Bret was doing. He's been my favourite ever since. I wish he had handled things a bit better though. People always ask him about Montreal because he's always open to talk about Montreal and rag on everyone involved. I'm like him though in that I'd never really be able to get over something like that but I think it's hurt him more than just his final years as a wrestler.