Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectValverde finally out at Barça. Quique Setien in.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2709822&mesg_id=2710612
2710612, Valverde finally out at Barça. Quique Setien in.
Posted by Hitokiri, Tue Jan-14-20 11:22 AM
I don't really like the timing of this. Valverde should have been fired after the Roma loss. After the Liverpool loss. But mid-season when we're in first place, through to the next round in CL, and after a loss against Atletico in a game many are calling our best offensive performance of the season (not to mention in an offcycle tournament played for Saudi money)? Valverde had to go, no doubt, but doing it like this leaves a bad taste.

I don't know much of anything about Setien. They say he plays a Barça style, is obsessed with Cruyff, and views the game "like chess." That all sounds good. But the issue with this is the team was really hoping to bring in Xavi to replace Valverde. Xavi wasn't happy with how they were handling the firing, said he wouldn't come mid-season, but would be open to coming in the summer. So while I personally don't think Xavi is ready yet, this is gonna get messy. Messier. If Setien does a great job, and the signs point to that being a real possibility, are you just gonna let him go to bring in Xavi who is still a rook in this head coaching business? Knowing this board -- probably.