Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectDavid Kaplan gave this anecdote on Jerry Krause on the radio yesterday.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2709425&mesg_id=2714127
2714127, David Kaplan gave this anecdote on Jerry Krause on the radio yesterday.
Posted by allStah, Sun Apr-19-20 04:03 PM
Dave used to be a NBA scout in the 80s, and when Jerry Krause selected Brad Sellers in the nba draft, Kaplan trashed the pick,and rightfully so. Kaplan felt that John Salley was the better big man, and he was correct. Brad Sellers was a bust, and Salley went on to become a good serviceable big man for the Pistons, Bulls and Lakers, and helped all three teams win championships.

After Dave criticized the selection, Krause refused to speak to Dave. Dave would speak to him in passing, but Krause would just ignore him. So, one day, Dave asked him why was he refusing to speak to him. Jerry Porter Krause replied: “ You humiliated me by criticizing my pick.” Kap said that he was shocked by the reply , because he was just doing his job as a scout. Anyway, Krause continued to ignore Kap., and it wasn’t until Krause’s health started to decline that he called up Kap to apologize for not speaking to him. They buried that matter, and Krause died after that. Dave didn’t speak on the actual date, but I imagine that took place around 2016/2017.

I wonder if Krause called everyone that he was at odds with to bury the hatchet. All of it was business anyway.

I remember he said this about Jordan:

“I’m the only one who has told him no. … This kid has had his butt kissed by everyone in the world except his parents and me,” Krause told SI. “If we’d listened to him, we’d have (former UNC guard) Buzz Peterson on the team!

“My goal is not to be his friend. My goal is to win titles.”

Shit. Krause’s Fire to prove he was a great GM and Jordan’s Fire to prove that he was the greatest of all time ...as well as both trying to prove that they were more important than the other helped drive the bulls to win titles.

I hope they talk about all the heated moments between the two that season.