Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectSame here
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2706961&mesg_id=2707021
2707021, Same here
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Nov-13-19 11:20 PM
From the few shows I've seen, Bomani and Pablo seem to come down on the same side of issues alot. That's not necessarily a bad thing. But unlike Mike and Jemele or even Tony and Mike, there isn't enough contrast between the two. When I watch the show, once one half of the duo speaks, it seems like the real discussion is over and the other half sometimes adds a different nuance but the follow up take is basically the same.

Also, while they're both exceedingly brilliant and intelligent, their personalities don't mesh well on TV. I personally favor Pablo more than Bomani but that being said I don't ever seeing myself tuning in just to hear Pablo talk.

Pablo to me is great on PTI and on the times he's been on Highly Questionable. His charisma isn't as a lead, but he's a great compliment to someone with a big personality, like LeBatard.

Bomani's personality to me doesn't come across on TV as much as it does on his podcast. Maybe he feels neutered by the standards on TV versus his podcast but his personality as well seems best suited to being a compliment to someone charismatic, at least on TV.

It would be disappointing for the show to fail. They both offer an intelligence and subtlety which isn't very common on any of the talking head shows. And seeing two POC let go, especially ones as smart as they are, isn't a good look for anyone.

But I could see the show ending as beneficial for the two of them. Maybe Pablo goes back to writing and carves out some type of space for his high-quality writing. Maybe Bomani goes to The Athletic or some other outlet where he can do more than 'stick to sports'.