Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectwell... yeah. That's what scouting is.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2706176&mesg_id=2706222
2706222, well... yeah. That's what scouting is.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Oct-31-19 02:08 PM
You look at players and try to project how they'll do at the next level. We also see plenty of juniors and seniors in college projected as "safe picks" bust in the NBA. It's all the nature of projection.

I think it's getting harder for college scouts looking at high school players because, when it comes to elite freshmen, they can't even look at what they *can* become, only what they will be for the one season they're around (though, again, this'll be fixed with the departure of OAD in a couple years). So then players get inflated because of one or two good showings (what I think happened with Nassir Little) or they get inflated based on "uniqueness" (what I think happened with Bol Bol).

I still think Cam Reddish and Romeo Langford have high ceilings as pros. You can't blame pro scouts for being skittish after shitty showings last year, but it'll be easier (somewhat) for pro scouts to scout high school players than college scouts, because pro scouts just have to try to guess where they could be in 3-4 years, whereas college scouts have a far narrower window. They could still bust, but then again, that's the game.