Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectIt's not a super strong draft class, tbh.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2706176&mesg_id=2706181
2706181, It's not a super strong draft class, tbh.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Oct-31-19 12:15 PM
There really aren't many, if any, players that scream All-Star potential like the top couple of guys in the most recent class. Most people agree that the 2021 class is the real jewel, especially because there's a possibility that HS seniors will also be eligible in that class, so you'd get the best of two classes of recruits for the price of one.

The strongest imo would be:

Anthony Edwards at Georgia, big slashing guard-- I'm sure he went to play for Crean because he imagines himself a D-Wade type. Poor man's D-Wade probably isn't a bad comparison. Well-suited for today's game imo. If I had to pin down a #1 today, he feels safest-- but a shitty season of gunning for UGA could change that of course.

Cole Anthony, UNC, scoring guard in a PG's body-- terrific handles, good playmaker, good shooter. Remains to be seen if he ends up more like Kemba or more like Austin Rivers (who definitely had Cole's level of hype in HS), but the skill is there.

LaMelo Ball, Australia-- sigh. look, the skill is definitely there if he can learn to defend and play disciplined offense. They say he's improving in terms of discipline, and if that's the case, he could be a Top 5 pick in a weak class like this. I saw so much of him in HS and a good chunk of his Lithuania tape, so I'm still skeptical, but he's a big-ass guard with good handles and passing (when he wants to). Currently a streaky shooter, but when he's hot, he can be real hot.

James Wiseman, Memphis-- would've been a stone cold lock for the #1 pick a decade ago. Big man with elite athleticism for a big. Can potentially even dissuade players when defending the perimeter. I'm not convinced he can shoot (some are), and his offense in general is a big work in progress. Needs to gain weight. We'll see.

Isaiah Stewart, Washington-- being grossly underrated imo. 6'9, good wingspan, good size, good athleticism. High motor big who can defend 4 positions with ease and can enforce in the paint, even in the pros imo. Even has some good catch-and-shoot potential, maybe not to the 3 right now, but in the mid-range. I think he's got a high floor.

RJ Hampton, Australia-- Golden State's had success with underweight light-skinned guards with good handles and a good stroke, so y'know, that's an option. Taller than Steph, but shot selection needs work, as does his full toolkit of guard finishing moves like floaters and mid-rangers, because he's so skinny. I think people are down on him right now, but he's a Top 5 talent in this class imo.

Nico Mannion, Arizona-- do I think he's an All-Star? no, not really. some size/athleticism limitations. But he's got a terrific shot, great passing and handles, and is the best pure pass-first PG in the class imo. Always plays hard, always makes the right play, and he's a red-headed goofy-looking white kid with sick game who isn't afraid to chirp at his opponents, which is always fun to watch. Probably not what GS needs with Steph still in the mix, but I'll be watching Arizona a lot this year.